2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

What is message center?

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/04, 07:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that it comes on the IUP, but I'm not sure what it is.

And where is it? Is it the LED readout below the speedometer, or somewhere else?

What does it tell me?

Also, anyone want to venture a guess as to how much the IUP will cost? I'd guess $400, but who knows... I may be way off.

Also, what are sequential tail-lights? I've heard a few people mention it, but I don't know what it is.

Thanks!
Old 8/12/04, 07:59 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Message Center
------------------
2 lined display for odometre/trip meter, and other messages and stuff.
Also where you change the MYCOLOUR/ColourShift gauge colours etc.
Its your...uh...MESSAGE CENTER
Normal 05s have a 1 line display...message center is 2, and displays all diagnostics etc.

Cost, no idea...its got a lot more than the previous IUP.

Sequential Tailights
----------------------
Mustangs have tribar tailamps (3 lights)
When the normal blinker/hazzards work....the outer 2 lights flash at the same time. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Sequentials all 3 lights flash...but in a sequence.
inner lights up, then middle, then outter....
This comes from the OLD cougars/T-birds that had this function...that went to the Shelby's (cause they used T-Bird/Cougar lights)

There are kits for sequencers etc.
I did it to mine, brad has them. They look pretty slick.
People see them on the car, and think they are cool..
Then again, some people don't.
Old 8/12/04, 08:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks, Boomer.

Normal 05s have a 1 line display...message center is 2, and displays all diagnostics etc.
Any idea what kind of diagnostics it displays?
Old 8/12/04, 08:09 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Uh, I think stuff like...a mode that checks all the cables and electronics.
like, airbag, electronic throttle control, abs, things like that.

Also it will probably give you a tad more detailed info on a specific incident...other than lighting up a dummy light.
Old 8/12/04, 08:28 AM
GT Member

I know this is small potatoes, but does anyone know if the message center, or anywhere on the dash, will have a compass? I guess I just got used to mine in my last several cars, and when I drove my fiance's beemer, I couldn't believe that it didn't have one. I read directions based on compass directions instead of the "left at the Rally's, right after the third fire hydrant" kind of stuff.
Old 8/12/04, 08:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

I seriously doubt it will have a compass...usually that is reserved for higher end cars that also have exterior temp. readouts, which is another readout I don't think the Stang will have.
Old 8/12/04, 08:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Message centers have compass and outside temp. Even escape and Taurus have it.

For you gizmo freaks, dont forget dealers can put in reverse sensing and nav units(the portable garmin ones are usually better and cheaper then factory ones) and finance it with the deal.
Old 8/12/04, 10:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Birdman3@August 12, 2004, 8:31 AM
I know this is small potatoes, but does anyone know if the message center, or anywhere on the dash, will have a compass? I guess I just got used to mine in my last several cars, and when I drove my fiance's beemer, I couldn't believe that it didn't have one. I read directions based on compass directions instead of the "left at the Rally's, right after the third fire hydrant" kind of stuff.
If it doesn't have one, maybe you can use boyscott intuition.

Unfortunately I am one of those people who goes by surrounding buildings. I just had a guy try to give me directions with street names. I was not sure where he was talking about. But I am sure I will know it when I see it. Around here the street signs are covered or missing, so I do not see most of them.

Does the message center do the same thing as the diagnostic computer you plug in under the dash to read the "Check Engine" light?
Old 8/12/04, 10:18 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Kluski@August 12, 2004, 11:09 AM
Does the message center do the same thing as the diagnostic computer you plug in under the dash to read the "Check Engine" light?
That would be amazing if it did, but I just dropped some decent money on a code scanner.
Old 8/12/04, 10:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Galaxie+August 12, 2004, 10:21 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Galaxie @ August 12, 2004, 10:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Kluski@August 12, 2004, 11:09 AM
That would be amazing if it did, but I just dropped some decent money on a code scanner. [/b][/quote]
I almost did. My T-Bird is having troubles lately. But then I heard about the message center and decided to wait.

For those who don't have a scanner and didn't know; most AutoZones will check the code for free. Just ask.
Old 8/12/04, 10:56 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Kluski@August 12, 2004, 12:09 PM
No it doesn't display error codes, like the ODC
Old 8/12/04, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Boomer@August 12, 2004, 8:02 AM

Sequential Tailights
----------------------
Mustangs have tribar tailamps (3 lights)
When the normal blinker/hazzards work....the outer 2 lights flash at the same time. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Sequentials all 3 lights flash...but in a sequence.
inner lights up, then middle, then outter....
This comes from the OLD cougars/T-birds that had this function...that went to the Shelby's (cause they used T-Bird/Cougar lights)

There are kits for sequencers etc.
I did it to mine, brad has them. They look pretty slick.
People see them on the car, and think they are cool..
Then again, some people don't.
I have sequetial taillights on my 1996 for about 5 years from design concepts and I love them. I get a lot of positive responses, and no negative. However, they will not pass my state inspection!
Old 8/12/04, 12:07 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Galaxie+August 12, 2004, 12:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Galaxie @ August 12, 2004, 12:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Kluski@August 12, 2004, 11:09 AM
That would be amazing if it did, but I just dropped some decent money on a code scanner. [/b][/quote]
I don't see why they don't do that

With my Probe I found a neat trick that meant I didn't need a code scanner.

I used a paper clip to jump the GRD and TEN (I think) connectors in the diagnostics box in the engine compartment. Turn the key to run and the computer flashes out the codes using the CEL (check engine light).

And it cost me 1 paper clip.....which I've already used 3 times. What a steal. Lucky I saved money somewhere because the code I usually find ends up costing me money.
Old 8/12/04, 04:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is from our Lincoln owners manual. The Lincoln message center has four buttons (FUEL, RESET, SETUP, STATUS).

The FUEL button displays:
-Distance to empty
-Average fuel economy
-Display on/off

The RESET button is used to select and reset functions shown in the FUEL, SETUP and STATUS controls.

The SETUP button displays:
-Language
-Units (English/Metric)
-Autolocks
-Easy entry/exit
-Lock chirp

The STATUS button cycles through the systems being monitored. For each of the monitored systems, the message center will indicate either an OK message or a warning message for four seconds. The sequence of the status check report is as follows:
-oil life in XX%
-AC (cabin) filter XX%
-charging system
-engine temperature
-brake fluid level
-washer fluid level
-doors closed (driver and passenger side, front and rear)
-trunk status
-exterior lamps (front and rear turn, brake, tail and side repeater lamp status)
-Traction Control or AdvanceTrac (if equipped)

These are the system warnings.
Warnings that cannot be reset with the RESET button:
-Engine power reduced
-Pull off road safely
-Turn off ignition
-Driver's door ajar
-Passenger door ajar
Warnings that return after 10 minutes when you press RESET:
-Check engine temp
-Check charging system
-Transmission overheated
-Check transmission
-Low fuel level
Warnings that return after the ignition key is turned from OFF to RUN:
-Low brake fluid level
-Check tail lamps
-Check brake lamps
-Check front turn lamps
-Check rear turn lamps
-Check traction control
-Check advancetrac
-Trunk ajar
-Low washer fluid
-Check AC (cabin) filter
-Change oil soon
-Oil change required
-Data error

Obvioulsy the Mustang message center will not be exactly the same, but it will probably do most of the same warnings and status checks.
Old 8/12/04, 04:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

yes, something like this. mustang will also have (as far as I remember), besides average MPG, the current MPG, just to let you know how much it costs to slam the gas :P
Old 8/12/04, 05:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

What would be really classic is if Ford programmed one for when you really screw things up...

You did it now dumbhiney!
Doh!
Old 8/12/04, 05:52 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Thanks f1-cobra....That's great. I'm pumped about the message center. I like all the warnings/notifications.
Old 8/12/04, 08:45 PM

All I really want is the distance to empty....my '94 Continental is excellent for that....pretty accurate, too....now if only it would stop leaking coolant from that pesky water pump....guess I gotta drive my '66.

Damian.
Old 8/12/04, 09:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by herpony68 Posted on August 12@ 2004, 11:22 AM

I have sequetial taillights on my 1996 for about 5 years from design concepts and I love them. I get a lot of positive responses, and no negative. However, they will not pass my state inspection!
I have them from CDC also. What is reason given for not passing inspection? If you don't mind what State is that?
Old 8/12/04, 09:37 PM
Cobra Member

Sorry, double post