2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

What makes a good suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 10/7/05, 04:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok,

I'm wondering what makes a good suspension. I'm rather a newbie when it comes to performance driving, and I know a stiffer suspension is overall better for taking turns, but is that all there is to car suspensions? I hear of a friend of mine talking about how the Porshe 911 Turbo is so much better than a mustang. But when I look at stats, the Porshe 911 turbo is 444HP w/ 457lb torque at 3.5-4.5 RPM. So as far as power is concerned. The Mustang Cobra looks like a great deal. So I was told the suspension is so much better, but is it really? Enough to make it worth a hundred thousand more?

He also told me it could corner a right turn on a street with the tires warmed up at 70 without losing control which I find incredible, but I don't think he's lying to me.

So ultimatly I don't know what makes for a good suspension vs a bad one. Obviously if you're feeling every bump in the road the suspension isn't very good. But then again, it seems stiff suspensions are needed for performance driving. So I'm thinking it's a "it depends" situation. What I guess I'm wondering is how does suspension help driving? I figure it just helps when you're turning. My friend is a supension enthusiest and talks about how european suspensions are so much more superior to american ones, but I don't really know what to say in response, because I know nothing of what makes a european suspension better. The only thing that i can think that would make a porche better at turning is maybe it has a lower center of gravity. Other than that I don't know.