Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/21, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What is this?

While I was trying to find out where I'm getting a leak from in my trunk I found something that looks like a horn. Does anyone know what this is for? It's between the rear quarter panel and the trunk space behind the trim carpet.

Old 3/25/21, 09:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
It's not shown in the '05 wiring diagrams to be a thing that's supposed to be there. But this is an '06... and I can't remember having one of these either on Awesome.

It'd help with a clearer, on target picture if possible. I can make out 'Made in India', looks like, but that's it.

However... I do have a couple of guesses... One is that it's a GPS puck antenna. The other is it's a cell phone antenna/enhancer. The third is a GPS tracker, used to track the car, and probably put in by a dealership to track the car until you paid the thing off, if you financed it, and/or they just put one in all their cars and try to sell it because it costs nothing in comparison to the amount of people who dang will buy the tracking and spend all that money that way. Source for that: Just gonna have to trust me on this, this is/was happening, it's disabled unless you enable it... Or you don't read the fine print and they activate it in case you don't pay up. Although those I've seen sorta tap into the OBDII somehow, so... I dunno, just a guess...

In any event... I might be tracing the wiring back. Don't suppose, though, you've got any aftermarket stuff on the car that might explain such a thing?
Old 3/25/21, 10:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
houtex, I found out what it is this evening. It's a horn for the factory alarm system. I opened the door by reaching in and the alarm went off. It has the motion detectors built into the map light trim. The alarm went off and it's pretty loud and makes the car vibrate. Now if I can only find the leak in my trunk.
Old 3/26/21, 05:05 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I would have thought the factory alarm would use the regular horns. Interesting.
Old 3/26/21, 10:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Edit: Hang on... that's interesting... learning...

Edit2: Well... look at that.

https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=409&f=Anti-T...arm%20Horn.pdf

So there's that... Huh. Wonder why all the electrical wiring schematics didn't show it in the picture forms... but sure as the sun stays in place and the earth spins on its axis to give the illusion of the sun rising and setting, there it is in all that kind of gloriousnessness.

6R3Z13832AA

That's the part number, superseded of course, but still... huh. I just wonder why is all... it's got horns... maybe because harder to disable...?

https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Compone...Views.pdf&p=15
I mean, it's not there...? This is what led me to believe it's not a thing, when obviously now it clearly is... Manuals. Can't trust 'em.

I did find it in the wiring diagram for the alarm, and obvious the first link above, and in a couple of other places, but still... you'd think they'd put it in the visual there, wouldn't you? Ah well. I love learning! Now I know this!

/Not sure it matters that I know it now, except if it comes up again, but hey, learnin's learnin'!

Last edited by houtex; 3/26/21 at 11:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gigantor (3/27/21)
Old 3/30/21, 06:01 AM
GT Member

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Yeah I found out what that was the first day I got my 06 gt .... the alarm got stuck on and I had to trace where the noise was coming from so I could shut it off...I had to unhook it to get the alarm to stop