2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

What the 2005 is missing...

Search this Thread

Old 9/16/04, 11:30 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I finally figured out why I've been thinking "there's something missing here" whilst staring at pictures of the 2005 Mustang. Then I downloaded the wallpaper from this site that features the 1964 World's Fair globe, with a Redfire 2005 at the left and what looks like a teal 1964.5 Convertible at the right. Only then did I notice that the 2005 doesn't have a SPECK of Chrome ANYWHERE on it... except maybe the "GT" badges... whereas the classic Mustang was absolutely RIFE with it!

Is there any word of a chrome accent package for a 2006/7? To me, chrome just adds some of that "bad-hiney" factor to whatever you're driving. Or maybe it's just me?
Old 9/16/04, 11:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just say no to chrome...
Old 9/16/04, 11:37 PM
GT Member

chrome is nice on classic cars, but I dont like it much on newer stuff
Old 9/16/04, 11:40 PM
V6 Member

Chrome bumpers were outlawed on cars. Only trucks are allowed to have them.
Old 9/16/04, 11:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by KingLurker@September 16, 2004, 11:43 PM
I know it's ture, but what is the logic behind it?
Old 9/16/04, 11:52 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Rakshas+September 16, 2004, 11:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rakshas @ September 16, 2004, 11:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-KingLurker@September 16, 2004, 11:43 PM
I know it's ture, but what is the logic behind it? [/b][/quote]
The reason we have no chrome on bumpers. And now plastic
Old 9/17/04, 12:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Chrome bumpers are not outlawed. Quit it, you're scaring the masses.

The reason you don't see them anymore is that these new bumper covers over impact absorbing material is both cheaper and more resiliiant when struck.

For example, all Mark VII's (1983-1992) had chrome bumpers, front and rear, with cap strips on the front faces and a little rubber surround on them. They were mounted on shock absorber like mounts, and did their job quite well (I found out...) The caps were for the cosmetic of the problem, when it got scuffed, just get another one.

Cars could still have chrome bumpers, but as a society, they're antiquated, why use them when these new bumper caps work as well as they do? Plus, they are more aerodynamic and/or fit the car better.

And for all who would say "NO, they ARE outlawed!" well, here:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/stu...mper/Index.html

So, no, they aren't.

Now. As for the chrome on the '05, nope, there's plenty. As in, it doesn't need any more than it has. Maybe a strip a la Mark VIIIs on the bumpers, but that's it.
Old 9/17/04, 12:51 AM
Cobra R Member

grabbergreen:

not really what you could chrome on 2005 without it looking bad...was thinking maybe front grill (not sure if you can chrome plastic?) and maybe bottom door rocker panels (also plastic i believe)...might even look not too bad on say a silver model...

maybe someone good at ps chops could give that a try....
Old 9/17/04, 12:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Its all about the time period. In the 60's chrome was great, but now it is just not fitting. The new mustang looks great, now, chrome is a little bit too flashy.
Old 9/17/04, 01:14 AM
Bullitt Member

In the past the bumper was a seperate part on the outside of the car. Nowadays besides trucks there are no more cars that have the actual bumper on the outside, they're all inside, hidden behind what everyone calls bumpers, but are actually bumpercovers.

And if it's not visible there's no use chroming it is there?
Old 9/17/04, 04:50 AM
GT Member

what the car is really missing is the front fascia. look at it closer: the front valence faces DOWNWARDS, like it was weeping.
Now, look at all the aftermarket mods: the lower valence goes up, like the car is grinning... or laughing at your futile other car. This makes a big difference- go to the 2005 timeline, and compare for yourself.
Old 9/17/04, 06:09 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by tom_vilsack@September 17, 2004, 2:54 AM
grabbergreen:

not really what you could chrome on 2005 without it looking bad...was thinking maybe front grill (not sure if you can chrome plastic?) and maybe bottom door rocker panels (also plastic i believe)...might even look not too bad on say a silver model...

maybe someone good at ps chops could give that a try....
You can chrome paint the grills. There is a company in the States my friend got this from. the scoops and the grill both look a lot better in person.

I am not sure that the S197 could carry the look off though.
Old 9/17/04, 06:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

I agree!! It needs some chrome. The black trim really ruins an otherwise beautiful car. The ugly thick black frame around the side windows is paticularly hideous and cheap looking along with all the black plactic on the grille. And really, black water jets for the WWashers! Come on Ford, paint them body color.
I absolutely love the car and these grips will not stop me from getting one. But some items of trim definitely need attention.
I will probably rile some members, but thats how I feel. And thats the truth :P
Old 9/17/04, 08:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
And that is one of the reasons my GT vert will be black. On black cars all that trim just goes away. The car looks super tight to me in black.

Well, as you can see, I've kinda had a preference for black Mustangs for a long time.
Old 9/17/04, 09:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think the mirrors should be 50/50 chrome... ok, at least 50/50 painted body color ^_^
Old 9/17/04, 09:05 AM
wrb
V6 Member

I'm sure JC Whitney will have a chrome package for you.
Old 9/17/04, 09:12 AM

It's just you But not to worry, I'm sure Bling Bling Bothers Chrome 'n Stripe shop will have all the jewelery to tack on the the '05. Why leave all the overwraught, overdone styling to the ricers anyways ... take back the tasteless Stangers!!!

A bit of chrome, deftly done, is fine, but the use of chrome easily becomes and easy resort of bad styling, sort of the simple-minded "more is better," overly ornate syndrome, dressing cars up with all the restraint and good taste of a Vegas cat house.

I have the same whine about blithely glopping on all manner of spoiler, scoop and duct in the same vernacular. Good design, IMHO, is all about great basic form and line, which the '05 has, and all the adornments in the world ain't gonna make a prince out of a pig.

The original Mustangs did have some chrome, but were, overall, rather cleanly styled for the period, aiming for a bit more of a European aesthetic, if still quite American in flavor overall.

J Mays is going for a cleaner, more basic and pure design aesthetic for the Mustang, avoiding the cheap and easy stylistic props too often used in the past as tacked on afterthoughts. In my opinion, most if not all, of the great, timeless designs reflect a pure sculptural beauty rather than a parade float of gaudy ornamentation and hopefully, that is where Ford and the Mustang are going too.
Old 9/17/04, 09:13 AM
FR500 Member

my 2000 excursion came with chrome bumpers
Old 9/17/04, 09:31 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by rhumb@September 17, 2004, 9:15 AM
It's just you But not to worry, I'm sure Bling Bling Bothers Chrome 'n Stripe shop will have all the jewelery to tack on the the '05. Why leave all the overwraught, overdone styling to the ricers anyways ... take back the tasteless Stangers!!!

A bit of chrome, deftly done, is fine, but the use of chrome easily becomes and easy resort of bad styling, sort of the simple-minded "more is better," overly ornate syndrome, dressing cars up with all the restraint and good taste of a Vegas cat house.
Believe me, I have no intentions of going to the point of ricer-ness...

But, I think a chrome strip on the front and rear bumpers, maybe a strip on the sides, and a touch in the grill would be fine without being too over-the-top.

My main complaint about most modern cars is that they are looking like amorphous shapes from Salvatore Dali paintings... they just don't look mechanical anymore...

I think this is what draws me to cruisers-- the mechanicals, NOT the sheetmetal, is shown off as functional art. In that regard, I hope the motorcycle industry never becomes like the auto industry...
Old 9/17/04, 10:31 AM

If you ask me, I wouldn't mind some chrome on the car. I mean, I used to have a '66 and I loved the chrome on it. The thing is, it went well with the car because it came from an era of chrome. These days it's hard to pull off chrome or "plastic chrome" adornments tastefully. The PT Cruisers were okay with it, but I think the new Mini Coopers adorned it well. The chrome-like pieces really brought out the retro style of the Mini IMHO.

As for chrome on the '05, I think I'd keep it to a minimum. It has that retro style, sure, but its' lines are too clean to be slapping things on. It definitely has some '04 blood in it. The only thing that I'd like to see, and the only thing I think the '05 can successfully pull off, is maybe some chrome trim to go around the front grill, just like how most of the earlier Mustangs had them. Framing the grill opening with a thin piece of chrome might even make it appear larger. Remember how the '68's looked? In a word - BAD!

Quick Reply: What the 2005 is missing...