2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

We were going to order 2/14/05

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/05, 10:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But we canceled our appointment.

We decided not to get the V6, and save up for the GT. In many ways the V6 would be better for us, better in the snow, wallet ect… Plus it’s plenty fast for us! I’m not going to bash the V6 now but I like to share the nuances of why we are going GT.

For us it’s important to buy “Made in USA” driving up to Michigan to visit family last week only amplify that; simply put, our Mustang engine need to be made in Romeo Michigan.

Then the residue of reading everything I can about the 2005 Mustang from this forum, I have downloaded 17 movie files that various post had links to, and I have 77 bookmarks about the Mustang mostly from here. I would have never kept up with the Car and Drive reports on the GT and V6 reviews that just bugged me. The GT brakes my not be the best in the world but from 70 to zero they stop 19 feet shorter than the V6, I kept wondering how may bicycles can you fit in 19 feet. Then the skid pad numbers put the great handling VW Jetta in-between the two Mustangs, I don’t know why that matters but I want to know my Mustang handles better than a stock Jetta. The other thing is I like the spinners on the v6 wheels but I know they wouldn’t last a week on campus where I work.

The GT at first seems to be only about the speed the 5.1 verses 6.9 made no difference to me, because it made no difference to me I almost overlook the GT. Thanks to this forum and a trip to Michigan we gave the GT a second look and fell in love just in time for Valentines Day.

Here is what we praying about ordering
Mustang Coupe GT – Deluxe
Performance White Clearcoat
Dark Charcoal
Interior Upgrade Package
Wheel Locking Kits
Front Seat Side-Mounted Air Bags
5R55S 5-Speed Automatic Transmission
Shaker 500 Audio System - AM/FM Stereo w/In-Dash CDx6, MP3 & 8-Speakers
Dealer to switch out the IUP’s leather steering wheel for the friendly wheel.

Do I need to add anything from this dealer check list?

Mustang check list

Touch up paint
Build Sheet, and all documentation not to be tossed during prep.
Credit for tires off change to Goodyear or Coopers.
Body color showing behind grill needs painted black. (may not be problem with GT)
3rd key
Locking gas cap
Put in non-leather steering wheel
Do not put holes in front for plate!
NO dealer sticker or badges or plate holder (will put Joe’s card in both quarter windows for 1 month if Joe is as good as he seems).

God Bless & Thank you everyone,

MustangDan
Old 2/10/05, 10:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I really appreciate the fact that you are praying about this decision, that challenges me to do the same, I know He will honor that and give us the wisdom we need.
Old 2/11/05, 12:55 AM
V6 Member

I think you made a wise choice.

There is no comparison between the GT and the V-6. I am not bashing the 6, it is a good car, but with the GT you get so much more.

Hope you get your GT soon !
Old 2/11/05, 05:11 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by MustangDan@February 11, 2005, 12:33 AM
We decided not to get the V6, and save up for the GT. The other thing is I like the spinners on the v6 wheels but I know they wouldn’t last a week on campus where I work.
You can still get spinners...on the Bullitt Wheels! Other members got the Bullitts with spinner caps and beefed up the retainers so they couldn't be removed unless the wheels were removed from the car. That shouldn't be a problem, because it looks like you're getting the wheel locking kit. Just an idea.

I agree wholeheartedly with you on the mutilation-avoidance plan of refusing to deface your 'Stang by drilling (unnecessary) holes for plates and refusing to serve as a billboard for the dealership by wearing decals, badges, plate frames, etc.

PS - Glad you went "GT." I'll leave it at that.
Old 2/11/05, 08:04 AM
V6 Member

The stock tires on the V6 Mustang have a big effect on handling, both skid pad and stopping distance. It sounds like you're satisfied with the power of the V6, but want better handling. If that's the case, you might want to consider buying a V6, driving it straight to a tire store, and saving thousands of dollars.
Old 2/11/05, 08:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by chocophile@February 11, 2005, 9:07 AM
The stock tires on the V6 Mustang have a big effect on handling, both skid pad and stopping distance. It sounds like you're satisfied with the power of the V6, but want better handling. If that's the case, you might want to consider buying a V6, driving it straight to a tire store, and saving thousands of dollars.
just wondering, what is so bad about the stock tires on the V6? I havn't had any problems yet. Also, what are some better brands to get?
Old 2/11/05, 08:20 AM
Cobra Member

Ok,
I am Christian as well. I hope your'e not really praying for a certain auto. Come, tell me it's not true.
Old 2/11/05, 08:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The stock V6 tires are only 215s. The V8 gets 235s. Still too bloody narrow! Also, the V8 gets bigger brakes (Front: 11.5" diameter for V6, 12.4" diamter for V8, Rear: 11.8" diamter for both). I find it strange that Ford would have bigger brakes on the REAR of the V6 car! That's nuts! That's GOT to make V6 burn outs MUCH harder to do.

Oh, and I STILL think the stock brakes are too small all the way around. I can't wait to see what Baer comes up with once they have some time to sort things out!
Old 2/11/05, 08:32 AM
Cobra Member

Route 66,

It sounds like they are preying for GUILDANCE on what to do. And that is a good think no matter WHAT you are doing or want to do.
Old 2/11/05, 09:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, guidance from above and help from my friends here, (that’s almost like a Beatle song) and Route 66 was right in deducing that we’re Christian but all of my friends of other faiths also pray. Thank you all
Old 2/11/05, 10:07 AM
Cobra Member

Lord, please help us scrape enough money up so we can afford a car. We really could use one to get around.

That's how a prayer should be. Not this:

Lord, I know a v6 will be fine. But look at the GT. It's awesome. Please help us get one of those instead.

I'm not knocking you for guidance. I just think non Christians see this kind of guidance, and roll their eyes.

Sorry, just my opion.
Old 2/11/05, 11:31 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Route 66@February 11, 2005, 12:10 PM
Lord, please help us scrape enough money up so we can afford a car. We really could use one to get around.

That's how a prayer should be. Not this:

Lord, I know a v6 will be fine. But look at the GT. It's awesome. Please help us get one of those instead.

I'm not knocking you for guidance. I just think non Christians see this kind of guidance, and roll their eyes.

Sorry, just my opion.
Amen, brother.
Old 2/11/05, 02:16 PM
Cobra Member

Hey MustangDan,

Sorry I took a jab at you like that. Your'e a good man. It's none of my business how you pray to the Lord.
Old 2/11/05, 02:19 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally posted by MustangDan@February 10, 2005, 11:33 PM
For us it’s important to buy “Made in USA” driving up to Michigan to visit family last week only amplify that; simply put, our Mustang engine need to be made in Romeo Michigan.
My engine was built in Canada and I don't think they will let you specify where you get the engine built. Just fyi.
Old 2/11/05, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Back to topic:

Mustang check list

Touch up paint
Credit for tires off change to wide Goodyear or Coopers.
Body color showing behind grill needs painted black. (may not be problem with GT)
3rd key
Locking gas cap
NO dealer sticker or badges or plate holder (will put Joe’s card in both quarter windows for 1 month if Joe is as good as he seems).
Old 2/11/05, 11:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MustangDan@February 10, 2005, 11:33 PM
But we canceled our appointment.

We decided not to get the V6, and save up for the GT. In many ways the V6 would be better for us, better in the snow, wallet ect… Plus it’s plenty fast for us! I’m not going to bash the V6 now but I like to share the nuances of why we are going GT.

Then the residue of reading everything I can about the 2005 Mustang from this forum, I have downloaded 17 movie files that various post had links to, and I have 77 bookmarks about the Mustang mostly from here. I would have never kept up with the Car and Drive reports on the GT and V6 reviews that just bugged me. The GT brakes my not be the best in the world but from 70 to zero they stop 19 feet shorter than the V6, I kept wondering how may bicycles can you fit in 19 feet. Then the skid pad numbers put the great handling VW Jetta in-between the two Mustangs, I don’t know why that matters but I want to know my Mustang handles better than a stock Jetta. The other thing is I like the spinners on the v6 wheels but I know they wouldn’t last a week on campus where I work.

The GT at first seems to be only about the speed the 5.1 verses 6.9 made no difference to me, because it made no difference to me I almost overlook the GT. Thanks to this forum and a trip to Michigan we gave the GT a second look and fell in love just in time for Valentines Day.

Here is what we praying about ordering
Mustang Coupe GT – Deluxe
Performance White Clearcoat
Dark Charcoal
Interior Upgrade Package
Wheel Locking Kits
Front Seat Side-Mounted Air Bags
5R55S 5-Speed Automatic Transmission
Shaker 500 Audio System - AM/FM Stereo w/In-Dash CDx6, MP3 & 8-Speakers
Dealer to switch out the IUP’s leather steering wheel for the friendly wheel.

Mustang check list

Touch up paint
Credit for tires off change to Goodyear or Coopers.
3rd key
Locking gas cap

God Bless & Thank you everyone,

MustangDan
NON LEATHER STEERING WHEEL???
Old 2/11/05, 11:45 PM
GT Member

Do whatever makes you happy, but for the price difference between the 6 and the GT you could easily correct the handling/stopping gap. The 6 is lighter than the GT, that alone ought to lead to a shorter stopping distance given equivalent brakes/tires. Plus, that would leave one extra GT available for guys like me
Old 2/12/05, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

mcomb,
what you said makes sence but it's like I had puppy love with the V6, but St.Valentine had a different plan.
Old 2/12/05, 07:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally posted by davids2toys@February 12, 2005, 12:37 AM
I have the same question, have you seen and felt the non leather steering wheel?
Old 2/12/05, 10:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by holderca1+February 12, 2005, 8:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ February 12, 2005, 8:18 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-davids2toys@February 12, 2005, 12:37 AM
I have the same question, have you seen and felt the non leather steering wheel?
[/b][/quote]

The short answer is we are vegan, and are uncomfortable with the leather wheel. If you didn’t know what Vegan is, it is Native America for “lousy hunter”. :-)

Quick Reply: We were going to order 2/14/05