2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Waxing of new mustang by dealer

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/05, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is is common practice for Ford dealers to wax new mustangs before the car is picked up, as part of the prep process?

I picked up my black mustang the other day, and the dealer had waxed it already. I know they had good intentions, but it's black, and I noticed swirl marks already in the paint. I've never had black before, but I have heard the swirls can be a real problem.

I can understand a wash, but a wax?
Old 2/11/05, 10:12 PM
Cobra Member

I know, I always specify to not wash the car when I bring it in for service. Nothing that some autopians can't correct though!

www.autopia.org

They have a bunch of literature on removing swirls and keeping black cars looking amazing. Check it out or just ask something here.
Old 2/12/05, 01:18 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by 67fastback@February 11, 2005, 10:24 PM
Is is common practice for Ford dealers to wax new mustangs before the car is picked up, as part of the prep process?

I picked up my black mustang the other day, and the dealer had waxed it already. I know they had good intentions, but it's black, and I noticed swirl marks already in the paint. I've never had black before, but I have heard the swirls can be a real problem.

I can understand a wash, but a wax?
OH NO !! I hate buffers. All it takes is one grain of sand/ dirrt. I sure do not want them to wax one for me. I had a top detailer wax the redfire Explorer and it had swirs in it and I refused to take it that way. Black has to be the worst color to buff/polish/wax as it shows everything.
I am wondering how this Flat Rock deal is going to work as Ford compensates the selling dealer to take care of all the paint and trim issues. I had a friend that purchased in another town several hours away and had to take it back to him for the corrections. Some needs to check this out.
Old 2/12/05, 04:02 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, it is common. The cars come in covered in rail dust.
Rail dust (from the rail cars they ride in) is like dust, but it's tiny metal specs that WILL RUIN your cars finish if they're left on there too long.
The bare metal specs will rust and eat into the paint.
Some dealers don't have a very good detail man so they wind up screwing up the car. Take it to a professional, or visit the website listed above. Mequiar's Tech Wax is good for swirl makrs. Just used it the other night on my black '03 to get it ready to sell. Best I've used that's at a regular store. There are better products out there, but they cost more and you have to order them.
Old 2/12/05, 08:53 AM
GT Member

Best stuff I've ever used.......

www.zainobros.com

Easy on, easy off and gives a shine that I've yet to see bettered. Plus, it lasts a lot longer than anything I've tried (particularly better than any canuba wax product).

I wouldn't let the dealer wax my car before delivery. While most manufacturers put a plastic covering on the hood, top and trunk lid, the sides are usually left unprotected while being delivered. Rail cars and semi-trucks that deliver the vehicles kick up dirt and, in some cases, metalic dust from the road or rails that adhere to the paint in the form of miniscule sharp metal particles that imbed in your newly painted cars.

"Claying" removes those particles and smooths out the paint to allow deep and clear reflective qualities of the finish.
Old 2/12/05, 09:05 AM
GT Member

I used the zaino products last week, this stuff is great.
Old 2/12/05, 09:09 AM
GT Member

Just a quick follow-up, most car dealerships use automated washed (those swirly, harsh brushes) that will leave "spider-webbing" on your finish. Even if they wash by hand, most of them use old shop towels to wash and dry. Those shop towels are harsh on a car's finish, too.

Depending on how much of a fanatic you are about your car (as I am), I wouldn't let them even wash mine before delivery. I'd rather bring it home dirty and do it myself so I can know it's done right with no detriment in the finish from the "get-go".