2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Water from Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/09, 03:11 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water from Mufflers

Hi all,

I went to wash my Stang yesterday.. I started the car from cold.. let it warm up from 3 minutes and drove for 2 minutes to the car wash place (it is close to my work ).. I parked the car and I do not know why I went to the rear of the car and saw some water drop below the car (below mufflers exactly).. here is a photo

You can notice it is coming from the muffler (middle section).. I noticed that there is a small bose (openening) there and I thought the the muffer is cracked.. I went to the other muffler and same.. water and small bose... here is a close up on the bose:

Anyway, I finished washing the car and took it for parking and I noticed larger amounts of water coming at this time, see below:

Now.. is this something to worry about (about the mufflers)? or not

I know the 1st leak would be condensation due to cold weather, and the 2nd leak is due to exccessive pressure washing by the washing operator and he might filled the

I drove in the evening for long distance, raced couple of cars and then went home.. no leaks but I am worried to damage the mufflers internals and create cracks.. the car is still new and made only 5,600 miles..
Old 1/6/09, 05:04 AM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No need to worry it's perfectly normal.
Old 1/6/09, 05:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
condensation is normal, thats why the hole in there to let it drain
Old 1/6/09, 07:09 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very normal. After all, when you wash a car and get water in the tailpipe where do you think it goes? Inside the muffler. It needs to be drain out somewhere

Also moved this thread since it doesn't apply to the "Warranty and Service" section.
Old 1/6/09, 07:29 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you burn gasoline, (or practically any fuel) the byproducts of combustion (assuming complete combustion) are carbon dioxide and water vapor. The water vapor hits the cold exhaust pipes and mufflers and condenses, as already mentioned. You can get quite a puddle if the conditions are right.

Years ago, before stainless and aluminized exhaust components, exhaust systems would rust through regularly. You were lucky to get 3 years out of a muffler and tail pipes. Worse if you made a lot of short trips where the exhaust could never warm up enough to evaporate all the condensation off.

Not a problem now. Exhaust systems can easily last the life of the vehicle.
Old 1/6/09, 01:16 PM
GT Member

Thanks guys for the repl.. mind at rest now

It is just new to me.. I don't think I've seen another car with the same principle (hole in muffler)..

Originally Posted by adrenalin
Also moved this thread since it doesn't apply to the "Warranty and Service" section.
Wanted to post here first, but ended posting in the "Warranty and Service" , Thanks for moving the thread.
Old 1/6/09, 04:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Hani
Hi all,

I went to wash my Stang yesterday.. I started the car from cold.. let it warm up from 3 minutes and drove for 2 minutes to the car wash place (it is close to my work ).. I parked the car and I do not know why I went to the rear of the car and saw some water drop below the car (below mufflers exactly).. here is a photo

You can notice it is coming from the muffler (middle section).. I noticed that there is a small bose (openening) there and I thought the the muffer is cracked.. I went to the other muffler and same.. water and small bose... here is a close up on the bose:

Anyway, I finished washing the car and took it for parking and I noticed larger amounts of water coming at this time, see below:

Now.. is this something to worry about (about the mufflers)? or not

I know the 1st leak would be condensation due to cold weather, and the 2nd leak is due to exccessive pressure washing by the washing operator and he might filled the

I drove in the evening for long distance, raced couple of cars and then went home.. no leaks but I am worried to damage the mufflers internals and create cracks.. the car is still new and made only 5,600 miles..

in the first picture it looks like you have 10/32 tread depth on your rear tire!
Old 1/6/09, 05:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Its a HUGE problem. I highly recommend SLP loudmouths or other muffler deletes to combat this troubling issue.
Old 1/6/09, 07:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I read somewhere that you go throught 8 gallons of water vapor for every gallon of gas used, but I guess it depends on your area/humidity.
Old 1/6/09, 09:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Water

Originally Posted by Hatchman
I read somewhere that you go throught 8 gallons of water vapor for every gallon of gas used, but I guess it depends on your area/humidity.
I believe the fact is, for every gallon of gasoline you burn, you create a gallon of water.