2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

water leak

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/05, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I first picked up my car 2005 GT I noticed the fuse box cover wasen't closed properly and checked it. To my surprise the fuse cover was filled with water. The car was new so I wrote the problem off. A month or so later I notice the passenger floor was all wet so back to the dealer I went. It turned out the car was missing some seam sealer? Again the passenger floor becomes wet after washing back to the dealer, they couldn't duplicate the problem so off I went. Months later the same problem so back I go and again more seam sealer. The problem was fixed I thought, we've had some nasty weather in NY and agian I have a puddle on my floor. What if any recourse do I have at this point.
Thanks for any help :bang: :bang: :bang:
Old 10/13/05, 04:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Go through the established grievence prodedure with Ford.
It's in the owner's manual. Take pictures of all the water/damage. Start with the dealer - make sure you have copies of all the paperwork. any work done under warrenty - then copies must be at the dealership to provide an audit trail for Ford.
Old 10/14/05, 10:17 AM
GT Member

Ed, Sounds like you have the very same problem I had..The first time I drove in a big rain storm the wifes foot got all wet..when I got to where I was going and found a small stream of water coming down the inside of the right side kick panal that had gotten the passanger side carpet all wet..Then it happened again while I was washing the car..But of course it would not leak all the time.. It took my Dealer a couple of trips to find mine..On the second trip they had to bring in a outside company that does nothing but find water leaks..even though everything had dried out..they were able to find some damp spots up under the dashboard with there meters...and where able to pin point it..I wish I could tell you where they found it..But my paper work just says upper right cabin leak repaired..Mine's been good to go for the last 9 months..Many rain storms and washings later, no more leaks..But you can bet I'll be watching mine very close this winter
Old 10/14/05, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the input but my problem now includes electrical problems. Oth way to work to with an actual puddle on the passenger floor the airbag light came on plus static in the front speaker and noises coming from passenger dash area. I must say I'm really concerned about the electrical problem and the fact that the carpet is going to smell really bad. I lodged a complaint with ford and I also took pictures for any future issues.
Thanks............Ed
Old 10/14/05, 08:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've got a similar problem :angry: I have a decent size puddle on the passenger side, and just developed a smaller one on the drivers side. I wish I knew where it was coming from, but it remains a huge mystery. Tomorrow will be my 3rd trip to the dealership.
Old 8/23/06, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Water Leak almost had fire under dash

No puddling with mine but my power mirrors switch stopped functioning. In fact, I had no indication of leakage at all. I had the dealership look into switch while in for an oil change and the tech discovered
corrosion on the harness connector running down the passenger side pillar. The have handled it well so far giving me a rental car and promising the car back in 2 days. I will judge when I get the car back free of defects. I've only had the car for 10000 miles now. The tech discovered before there was a fire as he explained this very thing happened to another person last month resulting in a fire under the entire dash area and it seems to be pretty common. The dealership Future Ford Roseville CA is handling the repair very well so far. Time will tell.
Old 8/23/06, 07:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds like you may have a lemon.

In Washington state you can file for "Lemon Law" Arbitration after the same warranty issue has been addresed four times with clear documentation.

Check out your state's lemon law guidelines.
Old 9/12/06, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

I drove through heavy rain today. The first thing I noticed was that the center light in the passenger side tail light was still lit after I got out of my car at work. I removed the rear trunk panel to unplug the harness so it didn't stay lit all day and either melt something or drain the battery.

At lunch I went out to try it and the light stayed out when I plugged the harness back together, but I left the panel out just un case. I later looked out my office window to find the tail light was on again so I ran back out to the car to unplug the harness again. I had a few small sockets in the glove box so I figured I'd see if I had the right size to remove the tail light and pull the bulb.

Well, no on the correct socket size but I did see a puddle on the passenger side front floor. Feeling around, it seems like it is coming from up top somwhere on the side above the fusebox in that foot well area. I'll have it checked out and if I get any substantial information, I'll let everone know.
Old 3/11/07, 10:51 PM
GT Member

Unhappy

I am having the exact same leaking problems described above with my '07 vert.
Have had the car since Aug '06 and it rains like crazy here most of the time...no probs. For the past three days we have had a bad storm and this afternoon this leak pops up. Not from the roof, but passenger side carpeting. It is taking on water without driving as the puddle got larger after I toweled the carpet as dry as possible and parked the car.
Put on the all weather car cover now and am calling the dealership tomorrow. Wish me luck, I am not looking forward to the goose chase
Old 3/11/07, 11:53 PM
GT Member

Angry

I went and checked tonight and the carpet is still wet. So I pulled it up and the insulation underneath is soaking from the top footwell area to under the seat. And I mean soaking, sopping, f'ing wet. This is a pretty big leak.
Scott
Old 3/12/07, 01:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

There have been a number of threads on this issue on this site and others. Rumor has is there will be a TSB for it soon. Mine leaks as well but I am waiting for a TSB before I take it to the dealer so I don't the get usual "they all do that" or "we can't replicate it" from the service dept.
Old 3/12/07, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by IWantMyNewGT
There have been a number of threads on this issue on this site and others. Rumor has is there will be a TSB for it soon. Mine leaks as well but I am waiting for a TSB before I take it to the dealer so I don't the get usual "they all do that" or "we can't replicate it" from the service dept.

Do a search on other threads on this issue (search for wet carpet). In my case, the cowl was leaking. Dealer took one day to find it and another day to fix it. No issues since.
Old 3/12/07, 12:51 PM
GT Member

Question

I spent last night searching on here for as much info before I posted...thus I added to an old thread.
Dealer has no loaners for two weeks OR can get me in Wednesday. I took the latter to get it solved and stop mold growth. The first question he asked was were the windows and roof closed properly...yes to both.

The leak looks to originate from either the winshield/footwell/door or side mirror area of the passenger side and seeps across then backwards. I want to get it all dry, but think I should leave it wet so they can see. Left the window open for airflow today and will keep her covered at night. I fear a big hunt is coming.

Hate to say it, but Subaru would have had me in today and a loaner arranged. I hope this Ford dealer doesn't make me regret my decision on Mustang over a Gt Legacy (the Legacy was boring/civilized in comparison to the cool vert GT Stang)
Old 3/12/07, 08:49 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by twokidsnosleep
Hate to say it, but Subaru would have had me in today and a loaner arranged. I hope this Ford dealer doesn't make me regret my decision on Mustang over a Gt Legacy (the Legacy was boring/civilized in comparison to the cool vert GT Stang)
Funny you should mention this. Today I test drove a Subaru WRX STI for the first time and all I can say is WOW! What a fun car! The salesman urged me to test drive a Legacy GT spec B, which I also did, but **** that STI outshined everything I've ever test driven.

The reason I looked into the Subaru is because Consumer Reports 2007 annual auto issue moved the Mustang GT to its Not Recommended rating due to higher than average problems in its annual survey of 1.3 million car owners. The Subaru is recommended by CR, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm hooked!
Old 3/12/07, 10:47 PM
GT Member

Cool

Don't get me wrong, I love my mustang...the power, sound she makes, the top down going home from work. I just didn't want a submarine.

I was nervous about taking a risk purchasing outside of familiar territory, but the stang shone through and proved herself enough to win my heart. All manufacturers have glitches, it is how their people handle things. Now it is how the dealer makes things right. I don't have my hopes up.

I would have purchased the Legacy spec B, but the Mustang was more cool and exciting. Sorry, but I hate the STI's wing, though it's performance is amazing. You cannot go wrong with a Subaru if you get the STI. JMHO
Old 3/12/07, 11:27 PM
V6 Member

I love the Mustang too; it reminds me of the days when the original musclecars roamed the streets. I just hated repairing my musclecars all the time and now want a reliable yet fun ride. I agree with you about the STi's wing; it's garish! If I get a new STi I'll probably have the dealer perform a "spoiler delete" operation. BTW, I hope your dealer fixes the water leak!
Old 3/13/07, 11:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water leak round two

just dropped my 06 off for round two. I would have never noticed the leak the first time if I hadn't read a thread about it. Mine never had any visible puddling or wetness on the top of the carpet. It was all under the firewall foam and the jute mat. The only way you could see it was to pull the carpet back. This time it is not as bad as last so hopefuly they will stop it on this trip. Luckly it never reaches the SJB to cause trouble, because it would be a pain trying to get the fog lights programmed back.
Old 3/15/07, 07:10 PM
GT Member

Angry

"Bigger leak than expected and have to keep car over the weekend". That is what my service rep says this afternoon. So they soaked the crap out of my carpet instead of taking it out first ( I had already ripped it partway up to dry things out) and still don't know where the leak is from.

They have no loaner for me, I have rented a car on my own. Is it normal for Ford dealer to not give a loaner??? I don't really know what to do...send car rental bill to dealer? or Ford?
When I had warranty work with my other vehicles I got a loaner.
This sucks and I am thinking of bailing out on Fords.
Old 3/16/07, 05:35 AM
Closet American

They have no loaner for me, I have rented a car on my own. Is it normal for Ford dealer to not give a loaner??? I don't really know what to do...send car rental bill to dealer? or Ford?
Well, I don't think they're under any LEGAL obligation to provide you with a rental. Unfortunately, Ford customer service is renowned for being amongst the worst in the industry. Being cheap on both sides of the equation is another reason why the company is in a nosedive.

This sucks and I am thinking of bailing out on Fords.
I feel your pain. I have one of these on order, and frankly, experiences like yours are giving me pause. If Ford isn't willing to put in the effort to build it right and back it right, why should I give them my hard earned money?
Old 3/16/07, 09:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

I got my car back Wednesday. It was dry after the rains yesterday. So far so good. This time they resealed the windshield. I guess time will tell.

Quick Reply: water leak