2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Be wary of careless dealers service

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/06, 07:43 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The last couple of months I noticed that my GT had somewhat of a drift to the right when driving down the road in a straight line. So I thought, no problem I'll take it in and have the alignment checked out. My appointment was for today so I dropped off the car and awaited thier phone call.

I pick up the car about 4 hours later. I immediately notice that now the steering wheel is way off from a straight line. When the car is going straight the steering wheel is at an 11:00 position. It was straight when I took the car in. So I immediately take it back. The guy tells me "well, we are all ready to leave for the day now (12:30PM?) can you bring it back on Monday?" I'm like what the heck? They botch the job and can't stay a little longer to make it right. Instead inconvenience the customer. Thanks alot guys.

So I get home and notice a bunch of fingerprints in the brake dust all over the wheels. So I take a closer look. And what do I find? EVERY wheel has 4 GOUGES or deep cuts and scratches from where they attached the alignment machine. These wheels are ruined. Also I noticed that under the front facia of the car there is now a nice new paint scrape that wasn't there before. I assume this came from driving the car up the alignment rack. I'm not sure what they are going to say on Monday. But I know enough to know that the wheels should be replaced. They cannot be repaired. The scratches are really quite deep. Shouldn' tthe alignment tool have some type of rubber protector on the attachment points?

I can't understand what the heck the deal is with Ford and thier service departments. EVERYTIME I take my car in for something simple they cause more problems. Then they try and get out of it.

Do you guys think I should demand a new set of Bullitts?
Old 4/22/06, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

You have every right to be upset. I would make them fix everything they damaged, and then find a new dealer the next time you need service.
Old 4/22/06, 08:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's ashame, I feel for ya. As stated you have every right to be infuriated and I wouldn't just speak to one of the service reps either. I would tell a manager right away, bypass the service reps and just tell them what you said here. It is indeed a major inconvenience and now yuou have to go back monday, go back again for a new set of wheels which in turn further inconveniences yourself. I would make sure that you receive something as compensation also for the hassle that you now have to go through (i.e. - Oil change or tire rotation (well mayeb not tire rotation because then they might damage again [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]). It's the least they could do.
Old 4/22/06, 08:43 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dude that sucks. I love how everyone thinks that taking the car to a Ford dealership means they're going to get better work/service than if they took it elsewhere. Ford dealership's got a lot of great mechanics, they've also got a lot of bad ones who have no respect for other people's cars.
I see no problem with taking your car to a BMW or Porsche dealer for work. They seem have the best mechanics who are used to working with customers who are **** about their cars.
Old 4/22/06, 08:44 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1200custom @ April 22, 2006, 8:37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You have every right to be upset. I would make them fix everything they damaged, and then find a new dealer the next time you need service.
[/b][/quote]

That is why I take pics of my car with my digital camera before I give up the keys. The Service manager asked me what was I doing and I took a pic of him and explained that if my car back with so much as a finger print on it there would be heck to pay. He looked at me a laughed and said that no one had ever done that before and gave me props. Needless to say that they detail my car for my before they return it.
Old 4/22/06, 08:47 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gixx1300R @ April 22, 2006, 10:47 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That is why I take pics of my car with my digital camera before I give up the keys. The Service manager asked me what was I doing and I took a pic of him and explained that if my car back with so much as a finger print on it there would be heck to pay. He looked at me a laughed and said that no one had ever done that before and gave me props. Needless to say that they detail my car for my before they return it.
[/b][/quote]

Very good idea. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/22/06, 09:38 PM
Cobra Member

The very reasons why where my Mustangs go I go, Period! That way I know what is happenning with them and I go in peace.
Old 4/23/06, 02:11 AM
Bullitt Member

That really stinks, and that's the reason that I try and do everything myself, whether it's painting the house, fertilizing the lawn, or fixing the fridge, before I hire a "professional". You obviously couldn't have done an alignment youself though.

Make sure you have them fix the alignment problem before they give you new wheels because they'll probably just damage them again! And if they even suggest that they can fix them, i.e. like sand and repaint the clearcoat on the wheels, tell them to forget it....it'll all peel and chip off from stones and road debris in a few thousand miles. If they're not doing what you want them to do, just tell them you want to speak with the regional Ford rep. They'll likely have to make the appointment for you, but it should get them moving in the right direction.
Old 4/23/06, 08:13 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm about to make a sweeping general statement here and that the way i feel about it....

All Ford service sucks!
I had a good experience actually buying my car but now that I actualy own it the service sucks. I have been to alot of different dealerships for various service deals and recall work and everytime my car comes out worse than it went in. I will NEVER EVER goto a ford service center again unless I am absolulty pushed to the wall.

I've taken my complaints to Ford Corp and got nowhere. This is why my car has a faulty tranny now and ford wouldn't fix it (long story) ,out of warrenty now but when discovered it was only 1 year into the warrenty.

Good luck man I hope you can get this resolved!!!!
I hate to say this but if you can find alocal mechanic/garage that you can trust then take you business there and forget ford.

Gixx...great idea mate!
Old 4/23/06, 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

I will agree that most Ford mechanics don't seem to care to much about our cars. I know I try and find mechanics who are like us, obsessed with our cars. These people usually take a little extra time in what they're doing and thus accidents like this don't happen. I agree with everyone else, demand a new set of rims and some sort of additonal comp for your inconvenience!
Old 4/23/06, 11:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car has not had a single TSB done on it for this very reason. I have no idea why it is, but I agree that if I had to give an overall assessment of Ford dealership service, it would be that they suck as a group. Yes, there are some decent ones mixed in there without a doubt. But by far and large, the majority of them suck. I truly believe the way cars are treated while in for service STARTS with management at the dealership level. If the dealership management is focused purely on profit (99% of them) then customer care, handling of issues and customer satisfaction will be sacrificed overall. Some people I have complained to about this issue state that it's because Fords in general are somewhat of a "Value" priced line of vehicles and that you get what you pay for. Well, I'm here to tell you that $20,000 is a lot of money to me. $30,000 is a lot MORE money to me. In 2000, I paid $30,000 for a BMW. When I took that car in for service, they practically shined my shoes each and every time I walked in the place. The car was cleaned, delivered to me at the door and I was asked to check things over before leaving to be sure everything was okay. Oh, and the mechanic left his card and some mints on the passenger seat in case I needed anything.

I've paid similar money for several different Fords and about all you get when you pick your car up generally is "the cars around back". Go find it yourself. When you find it, theres grease on the wheel, the seat, mirrors and everything generally associated with driving the vehicle is moved and more often than not either what you had the vehicle in for service for or something else COMPLETELY unrelated is messed up. This causes you to have to take additional time off from work, and also requires arguing with people to get things taken care of that were fine before you went in.

Ford service as a whole is just not worth it. Unless there is a large warranty situation causing the vehicle to either not function at all or be severely disabled, I will not deal with them at all.

I would demand new wheels. If they refuse to comply, order new wheels, pay with a check and then stop payment on it. A week later, return the f'ed up wheels and tell them you don't like them.
Old 4/23/06, 12:41 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Ive had ONE good service visit. but Ive had 4 wastes of time. My mustang may never go back to ford, but if it does, I know of only one I'd trust at all.
definitely the clearcoat cannot be touched up good as new- if it can, have them get you 4 new ones and put your 'good as new' ones back in the box- asking for that will get a reaction. Factory clear is powdercoating, and no paint out there will ever be as good. stripping to repaint would ruin the finish underneath anyway.
Personally though, I dont know what they will do- dunno if anyones noticed yet, but think about this- come time to replace tires/rebalance, the clearcoat is gone anyway. Very stupid of ford to use pound-on wheel weights on clearcoated rim lips...no matter how careful, clearcoats gonna get messed up at installing weights, and not long after removing, oxidation will start under the weights. they shoulda used tapeweight near as possible to face and tried to fix dual-plane/hispeed balance with extra tape at outboard side and then adding inboard weights- I think most balancers could be 'lied to' regarding wheel offset and width to give accurate weight needs....use width from backside of spoke(if tape clears rotors) to inboard rim, offset from midpoint of that...
Right nor Saleen is selling take-offs at 495 a set- you can barely buy rubber for that price- if you are close enough to pick up(no idea where located). Mike at Cascos(ebay store 'Casco Tech' or 'Casco_Tech'- phone number is on ebay) said I could pick up parts from his company in ypsilati (i think it was) michigan last december for 500 a set too. I still might want to go up there and pick up a set of spare bumpers, wheels, as I hope to have this car a looooong time- and its inevitably gonna get banged up sooner or later...

good luck on this- and thanks for the info- most wheel alignment fixtures clip in the same way- need to ask Stoenr how he does mags...
Old 4/23/06, 02:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

That really stinks, how they treated you Tungstallion. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

My car is 13 months old now with 8600 miles and it has not been back to the dealer yet, just because I'm afraid of having careless mechanics work on it. I have at least two TSB issues - the fuel tank and the popping noise in the front suspension at low speed, but I am really reluctant to bring it in for fixes.

If they don't replace your wheels and fix the paint chip on the fascia, you need to notify Ford at the regional level, at the very least.

The post by 97svtgoin05gt about the extra mile that BMW dealerships go to, shows you that good service is not only possible, but is expected by BMW owners. I don't expect mints on my dashboard when I pick the car up, but that's just indicative of the effort BMW is willing to do to get repeat customers. It's obvious that Ford does not care to that extent.

Gixx1300R has a great idea about taking pictures of the car when he brings it in. I'm not sure if it's best to do that right in front of the service manager to show him that you're expecting the car to be in the same condition when you get it back, or best to just do it quietly on your own. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] Either way though, it will prevent them from saying "it was like that when it came in," if they do something negative to it while it's in.

Not really sure what the answer is here, or if there is an answer.
Old 4/23/06, 02:59 PM
Closet American

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(97svtgoin05gt @ April 23, 2006, 10:32 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
My car has not had a single TSB done on it for this very reason. I have no idea why it is, but I agree that if I had to give an overall assessment of Ford dealership service, it would be that they suck as a group. Yes, there are some decent ones mixed in there without a doubt. But by far and large, the majority of them suck. I truly believe the way cars are treated while in for service STARTS with management at the dealership level. If the dealership management is focused purely on profit (99% of them) then customer care, handling of issues and customer satisfaction will be sacrificed overall. Some people I have complained to about this issue state that it's because Fords in general are somewhat of a "Value" priced line of vehicles and that you get what you pay for. Well, I'm here to tell you that $20,000 is a lot of money to me. $30,000 is a lot MORE money to me. In 2000, I paid $30,000 for a BMW. When I took that car in for service, they practically shined my shoes each and every time I walked in the place. The car was cleaned, delivered to me at the door and I was asked to check things over before leaving to be sure everything was okay. Oh, and the mechanic left his card and some mints on the passenger seat in case I needed anything.

I've paid similar money for several different Fords and about all you get when you pick your car up generally is "the cars around back". Go find it yourself. When you find it, theres grease on the wheel, the seat, mirrors and everything generally associated with driving the vehicle is moved and more often than not either what you had the vehicle in for service for or something else COMPLETELY unrelated is messed up. This causes you to have to take additional time off from work, and also requires arguing with people to get things taken care of that were fine before you went in.

Ford service as a whole is just not worth it. Unless there is a large warranty situation causing the vehicle to either not function at all or be severely disabled, I will not deal with them at all.

I would demand new wheels. If they refuse to comply, order new wheels, pay with a check and then stop payment on it. A week later, return the f'ed up wheels and tell them you don't like them.
[/b][/quote]
This is just another reason domestic automakers get a bad rap...and are losing market share: subpar products and shoddy service. Much as I love Mustangs, sometimes I feel that if domestic automakers don't get their shyte together f-a-s-t...and I mean within the next 24 months - they deserve to die. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]
Old 4/27/06, 10:32 AM
GT Member

Okay,

So i took the car back on Monday morning. Showed the Service Manager my scratched wheels. His immediate response before even looking into what may have caused the problem was, "Oh, well you know thats gonna happen when hooking up the alignment heads to the wheels". I was shocked to hear this BS response. He walks away over to his buddy' who work there and they light up some smokes and start BS'ing about other stuff. Meanwhile I'm standing there looking at my car that is supposed to be getting re-aligned! These guys are just $#%@@^#@$

So I sat there for a few more minutes becoming angry. I then decided to take the problem to the Service Director. I told him about the wheels so he looks at them then tells me he doesn't see anything wrong. I say, "you must be kidding me." So he shows me where he is looking for damage. He is looking on the outside of the rim. I quickly point out that the scratches are on the inside dish of the rim not the outer edge. He's like, "WHAT? The alignment heads are supposed to attach to the outside edge of the rim, not the inside." He then calls the mechanic who performed the alignment on my car. He asks this mechanic to show him how to attach the alignment heads to the wheels. Sure as sh.., he attaches them to the inside of the wheel! Again producing 4 more scratches into the dish of the wheel. The service manager looks at me in disbelief. The next words out of my mouth were, "So when can I come and get the set of 4 new wheels that you owe me?"

So this morning I picked up 4 brand new wheels with the tires off of another GT that was on the lot. I am much happier now. I vow to never return to this Dealership. I feel sorry for the poor fool who buys the GT that got my wheels swapped wit thier soon to be new GT. I have a feeling that is exactly how the dealer is going to sell that car with those f***** up wheels.

Ford should really check into WTF is going on at thier dealerships.
Old 4/27/06, 10:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Good for you in getting new wheels, but jeeze, stay 50 miles from that place. what a bunch on incompetant indiots.
Old 4/27/06, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
My dealer screwed up my car's first oil change. They overfilled it by about 1 1/2 quarts. I didn't realize it until later in the day I checked my oil in my garage. I had to drive an extra 22 miles to bring it back to them so they could drain some out. The next time I will check the oil at the dealership myself BEFORE I leave! I go there because I get lifetime oil changes for $19.95 and free tires for life if all service is done there. But you know it isn't worth it if they ruin the car!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Old 4/27/06, 11:16 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scarpi @ April 27, 2006, 11:06 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
My dealer screwed up my car's first oil change. They overfilled it by about 1 1/2 quarts. I didn't realize it until later in the day I checked my oil in my garage. I had to drive an extra 22 miles to bring it back to them so they could drain some out. The next time I will check the oil at the dealership myself BEFORE I leave! I go there because I get lifetime oil changes for $19.95 and free tires for life if all service is done there. But you know it isn't worth it if they ruin the car!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Seriously, how can you be in the car business and F up an oil change?

I rest my case. I bet there is more to Fords declining sales numbers than what meets the eye. And, I bet you can find it in the service bays hidden among the morons.
Old 4/27/06, 12:52 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Glad you got new tires. I have an appointment to take mine in Tuesday morning for a TSB and I am just sick thinking about leaving there overnight, after reading the horror stories here. I am going back to my selling dealership (about an hour away) because the one closest to me got all bent out of shape because I knew the TSB I needed done before I called them. They were rude on the telephone, so I wasn't going there. At least my selling dealership was nice to me on the phone.
Old 4/27/06, 01:02 PM
Cobra Member

I'll never let a Ford dealer change my oil again due to multiple overfillings on the '99 GT I used to own. Not just Ford, but I've had problems with Chevrolet and Honda as well. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Be wary of careless dealers service