2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

*WARNING* All Supercharged/Custom Tuned 05+ Mustangs For Warranty Work

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/06, 02:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*WARNING* All Supercharged/Custom Tuned 05+ Mustangs For Warranty Work

Just came back from my dealer from getting some warranty work done on the car and I'm making this post for everyone! An experience I will never forget!

This is a heads up for all 05+ Mustangs that are Supercharged or Custom Dyno Tuned. Any kind of warranty work to be done on the vehicle after the PCM has been modified or recalibrated, BE CAUTIOUS!!

Anyone running a CAI / Custom Tune is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to be reflashed back to stock before taking any kind of warranty work to the dealer, I mean ANY WARRANTY WORK!!

Anyone running any type of Supercharger with the ECU recalibrated (especially Roush, Saleen, FRRP/Whipple), you are in for the ride of your life! Take your car to a DEALER REP you can trust!!!

I'm sure the whole Mustang community is well aware of this since day 1, but here is my story of what happened today.

Explanation:

I had a defective Shaker 1000 head unit prior to when I bought the whipple supercharger for my vehicle (this would be the 3rd head unit the vehicle would be replaced, two because of the SKIPPER 1000 problem that was happeneing when the car first came out.) This time it was a cosmetic defect; the black paint was chipping off the buttons. Before I had the supercharger installed I took it to my dealer where I know the G.M. (life long friends of the family) to have it replaced. anytime if I had a problem with the car I was told to bring it to him and he would take care of it. The head units were on backorder, 4-6 weeks. i told them to order it and call me when it comes in. following week my supercharger arrived and had it installed the following week. got a phone call 4 days before christmas, "your replacement head unit is in, make an appointment and well set you up"

so I called them back the next day and told them I would bring it in today (thursday) but I would wait for the car to be done instead of leaving it over night. It wasn't a problem for them, they said they would have it done within an hour or so

drove the car to the dealer on my lunch break. my good friend who is the G.M. of the place came out and greeted me and we chatted for a little bit and he was curious if I got the blower, showed him the blower and boy did his eyes light up, then i had 5 other sales reps around my car going "ooooooooooooooooo ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh". that was the only good thing about my day. so i go in the waiting room, watching "soap opera's" (no i dont watch soap opera's, thats what was on the TV when I walked in) hour goes by and the service advisor is looking for me. I had stepped outside to make a phone call. the service advisor paged me over the P.A. system to come to the service desk.

I walk in, "paul, we got a problem." "Did you do anything to the PCM in that car for that supercharger?" "yes, the car had to get recalibrated by Ford Racing to compensate for the supercharger"

"well we are having a major problem replacing the head unit cause the bank in the PCM is coming up blank for the radio. This is a programmable head unit that has a bunch of features (speed volume, etc, anti theft, etc.), WHICH IS CONTROLLED BY THE PCM! Your head unit is telling us that this head unit belongs to this "calibration" and the calibration does not match the PCM code. and we are locked out of the PCM and can't update it. If we can't calibrate the PCM, your screwed and stuck with the old head unit."

**Who Knew???? obviously I didn't, nor I'm sure many people know on TMS, but now you guys know!**

They TRIED EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, I physically watched them in they bay with every electronic gadget they had in the place to get the radio unit to work. In the meantime I called Whipple and Ford Racing to find out what kind of info I can get give these guys to get this thing going. I am flamming at this point!

So in the bay is my car torn apart (center console and all) my hood open, the service advisor, the service manager and 4 Ford Mechanics all around my car trying to figure this thing out!

You have got to be serious!!!, all for a Radio Head Unit to be replaced.

Finally, one of them attempted to remove the LOCKED tune out of the PCM with another electronic device, 25 min later, they were successful!!!! They pulled the tune out, calibrated the radio headunit and transfered the tune back into the car.

What a relief. I was then pulled into the service manager's office and he pretty much explained to me everything they had to do just to replace the unit, and if something terrible were to happen, my warranty would be screwed and a Ford rep from the factory would have had to been called out. but everything is working, your tune is back in. and thats when he asked me who did the tune. I told them that its a Ford Racing supercharger and its tuned by Ford Racing. he told me thats a good thing to know in case we get anymore people coming in with superchargers and we run into this problem. Its great its done by Ford Racing, but if we had any other kind of vendor calibrating the PCM, we might have problems. It will be covered under warranty, but its a heads up for us and its a learning experience for our mechanics.

Phew....., what a relief, the service manager was awesome, he loved the way the car looked and he loved the blower, so he was all cool about it and so was the service advisor.

If I had taken this to another dealer, oh boy, a Ford Rep would of been out there the next day writting up paper work on my car and marking it up as modified. All FOR A HEAD UNIT REPLACEMENT!

He handed me the keys, and I was off from the dealer with my new head unit and Ford Racing Tune in tact!

So........moral of the story, another almost NIGHTMARE of the Warranty and PCM calibration Ford Feud!

So my suggestion to everyone with superchargers, take you car to a dealer you KNOW or can trust and be cautious with warranty work, JUST ABOUT ANYTHING IN THE CAR IS RAN BY THE PCM!!!!

If you plan on getting a supercharger, GET ALL WARRANTY WORK DONE FIRST, before you put the supercharger on!
Old 12/28/06, 02:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have a Saleen s/c and I knew up front that "when and if" I had any problems, it would be important to take it to someone who knew what they were doing.....but I must admit having problems with the sound unit, etc never crossed my mind.
Old 12/28/06, 02:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Ranger
I have a Saleen s/c and I knew up front that "when and if" I had any problems, it would be important to take it to someone who knew what they were doing.....but I must admit having problems with the sound unit, etc never crossed my mind.

it didnt cross my mind either, but the shaker head units are linked the PCM and just about anything else you can think of in the car is linked to it too.....
Old 12/28/06, 02:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about the nighmare Mav. I'm glad everything worked out in the end. BTW- How long do you get for lunch..lol?
Old 12/28/06, 02:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Sorry to hear about the nighmare Mav. I'm glad everything worked out in the end. BTW- How long do you get for lunch..lol?
it was suppose to be an hour, but it took 2 hours, so I ended up taking a 2hr lunch break which I got kicked in the butt when I got back to work.

but oh well.....
Old 12/28/06, 03:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sounds like to me - long story short, all they had to do was put the PCM back to stock, swap the radio, then upload the S/C tune? It took how many people to figure that out? With an SCT XC2 tuner you can swap tunes back to stock easily. I guess not so with Ford factory tunes. Who knew?

I have an aftermarket system in my car. No issues at all with tunes.
Old 12/28/06, 04:00 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
or just replace the head unit with aftermarket and save the hassle
Old 12/28/06, 04:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by BuzzyStang05
I have an aftermarket system in my car. No issues at all with tunes.
These radios are crap anyway. How many have you had now? I've had 4 disks stuck in mine for a while now, not even going to get another one. Going GPS/NAV/MP3/DVD/FM/XM/whatever else.
Old 12/28/06, 04:16 PM
Closet American

Only reason to tie the Shaker to the PCM is for the speed sensitive volume, then, I guess.

Pity that some of these secondary systems aren't autonomous. The forthcoming Shelby GT will feature a FRPP tune - wonder how they'll handle THAT if someone comes in with warranty work for the stereo unit? My guess is they'll figure it out pretty bloody quick in that situation...which should ultimately benefit all of us down the road.

Of course, if the Shakers were better quality to begin with, you'd never have had this problem.

No question, though, the more heavily you mod your car, the more potential pitfalls you create for yourself down the road. But EVERYBODY ought to be able to do the CAI and retune, because from what I read, it makes a noticeable difference to both power and throttle response. After all, as I said above, that's what the Shelby GTs are doing - so it's clearly sanctioned by Ford.
Old 12/28/06, 04:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the Diablo Predator tune in mine ,with a custom tune also. but when I take my car to the dealer all I have to do is use the predator and save custom tune and reload factory tune into the car for pcm work ,then once they are finished all I have to do is reload the custom predator tune back in.I've had to do this once so far and no problem , dealer didn't even charge me for having the built as data put back in the car. this had to be done before having car dyno tuned.
Old 12/28/06, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Sooooo....did Luke hook up with Laura again or what?
Glad it worked out for you.Is the dealer in question in the ----- Lake area?
or by the the Base?

-John
Old 12/28/06, 05:32 PM
GT Member

Saleen accounts for it in there tune so you will have no issues with the SALEEN SC
Old 12/28/06, 08:28 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by flamin ponyexpress
I have the Diablo Predator tune in mine ,with a custom tune also. but when I take my car to the dealer all I have to do is use the predator and save custom tune and reload factory tune into the car for pcm work ,then once they are finished all I have to do is reload the custom predator tune back in.I've had to do this once so far and no problem , dealer didn't even charge me for having the built as data put back in the car. this had to be done before having car dyno tuned.
I have been looking at the Diablo Predator tune as well (loads up a Steeda tune, I believe). How do you like it? I hear throttle response from the drive-by-wire is WAAAY crisper and more immediate.

Thing is, if you load the stock tune back in when you have a CAI fitted, you'll have problems. With a CAI, I think you pretty much have to use the alternate tune, don't you, otherwise the MAF sensor leads to mixture problems?
Old 12/29/06, 06:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MaverickMLFD371
Just came back from my dealer from getting some warranty work done on the car and I'm making this post for everyone! An experience I will never forget!

This is a heads up for all 05+ Mustangs that are Supercharged or Custom Dyno Tuned. Any kind of warranty work to be done on the vehicle after the PCM has been modified or recalibrated, BE CAUTIOUS!!

Anyone running a CAI / Custom Tune is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to be reflashed back to stock before taking any kind of warranty work to the dealer, I mean ANY WARRANTY WORK!!

Anyone running any type of Supercharger with the ECU recalibrated (especially Roush, Saleen, FRRP/Whipple), you are in for the ride of your life! Take your car to a DEALER REP you can trust!!!

I'm sure the whole Mustang community is well aware of this since day 1, but here is my story of what happened today.

Explanation:

I had a defective Shaker 1000 head unit prior to when I bought the whipple supercharger for my vehicle (this would be the 3rd head unit the vehicle would be replaced, two because of the SKIPPER 1000 problem that was happeneing when the car first came out.) This time it was a cosmetic defect; the black paint was chipping off the buttons. Before I had the supercharger installed I took it to my dealer where I know the G.M. (life long friends of the family) to have it replaced. anytime if I had a problem with the car I was told to bring it to him and he would take care of it. The head units were on backorder, 4-6 weeks. i told them to order it and call me when it comes in. following week my supercharger arrived and had it installed the following week. got a phone call 4 days before christmas, "your replacement head unit is in, make an appointment and well set you up"

so I called them back the next day and told them I would bring it in today (thursday) but I would wait for the car to be done instead of leaving it over night. It wasn't a problem for them, they said they would have it done within an hour or so

drove the car to the dealer on my lunch break. my good friend who is the G.M. of the place came out and greeted me and we chatted for a little bit and he was curious if I got the blower, showed him the blower and boy did his eyes light up, then i had 5 other sales reps around my car going "ooooooooooooooooo ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh". that was the only good thing about my day. so i go in the waiting room, watching "soap opera's" (no i dont watch soap opera's, thats what was on the TV when I walked in) hour goes by and the service advisor is looking for me. I had stepped outside to make a phone call. the service advisor paged me over the P.A. system to come to the service desk.

I walk in, "paul, we got a problem." "Did you do anything to the PCM in that car for that supercharger?" "yes, the car had to get recalibrated by Ford Racing to compensate for the supercharger"

"well we are having a major problem replacing the head unit cause the bank in the PCM is coming up blank for the radio. This is a programmable head unit that has a bunch of features (speed volume, etc, anti theft, etc.), WHICH IS CONTROLLED BY THE PCM! Your head unit is telling us that this head unit belongs to this "calibration" and the calibration does not match the PCM code. and we are locked out of the PCM and can't update it. If we can't calibrate the PCM, your screwed and stuck with the old head unit."

**Who Knew???? obviously I didn't, nor I'm sure many people know on TMS, but now you guys know!**

They TRIED EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, I physically watched them in they bay with every electronic gadget they had in the place to get the radio unit to work. In the meantime I called Whipple and Ford Racing to find out what kind of info I can get give these guys to get this thing going. I am flamming at this point!

So in the bay is my car torn apart (center console and all) my hood open, the service advisor, the service manager and 4 Ford Mechanics all around my car trying to figure this thing out!

You have got to be serious!!!, all for a Radio Head Unit to be replaced.

Finally, one of them attempted to remove the LOCKED tune out of the PCM with another electronic device, 25 min later, they were successful!!!! They pulled the tune out, calibrated the radio headunit and transfered the tune back into the car.

What a relief. I was then pulled into the service manager's office and he pretty much explained to me everything they had to do just to replace the unit, and if something terrible were to happen, my warranty would be screwed and a Ford rep from the factory would have had to been called out. but everything is working, your tune is back in. and thats when he asked me who did the tune. I told them that its a Ford Racing supercharger and its tuned by Ford Racing. he told me thats a good thing to know in case we get anymore people coming in with superchargers and we run into this problem. Its great its done by Ford Racing, but if we had any other kind of vendor calibrating the PCM, we might have problems. It will be covered under warranty, but its a heads up for us and its a learning experience for our mechanics.

Phew....., what a relief, the service manager was awesome, he loved the way the car looked and he loved the blower, so he was all cool about it and so was the service advisor.

If I had taken this to another dealer, oh boy, a Ford Rep would of been out there the next day writting up paper work on my car and marking it up as modified. All FOR A HEAD UNIT REPLACEMENT!

He handed me the keys, and I was off from the dealer with my new head unit and Ford Racing Tune in tact!

So........moral of the story, another almost NIGHTMARE of the Warranty and PCM calibration Ford Feud!

So my suggestion to everyone with superchargers, take you car to a dealer you KNOW or can trust and be cautious with warranty work, JUST ABOUT ANYTHING IN THE CAR IS RAN BY THE PCM!!!!

If you plan on getting a supercharger, GET ALL WARRANTY WORK DONE FIRST, before you put the supercharger on!
cliffs notes:

ford racing supercharger installed. COmputer reflashed by ford racing.

went to dealer for shaker replacement. turns out there is a calabration issue with the FRPP modified computer.

they had to remove the FRPP program, recalibrate the radio then reinstall the FRPP program.

everything is cool in the end. but BE CAREFUL
Old 12/29/06, 06:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
I have been looking at the Diablo Predator tune as well (loads up a Steeda tune, I believe). How do you like it? I hear throttle response from the drive-by-wire is WAAAY crisper and more immediate.

Thing is, if you load the stock tune back in when you have a CAI fitted, you'll have problems. With a CAI, I think you pretty much have to use the alternate tune, don't you, otherwise the MAF sensor leads to mixture problems?

any power programmer makes a WORLD of difference in throttle response
Old 12/29/06, 08:01 AM
Cobra Member

Want to know what I would do? Buy an aftermarket cd player.
Old 12/29/06, 08:11 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby

Yes, if you revert back to your stock tune you have to go back to your stock intake as well or you stand a very good chance of throwing a CEL based on a lean condition....only takes a few minutes to swap everything out anyways. Well worth it though - runs so much better with a good tune
Old 12/29/06, 08:45 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Now my knowledge about the tunes is limited...but....

I know for a fact the FRPP and Roush etc tunes are all 'locked' (just like you mentioned) so that people can't go in and fiddle with the tunes.

If someone has a custom tune, those aren't locked right?
They are open for changing things (ie: spark timing etc) they are just customized tunes..

Now on the FRPP tune, can you use a tuner to say... change gears or tire sizes? or are they locked as well? (meaning you have to take it into the dealership..that knows what it's doing)

I'm just thinking it was because the locked tune... not a different tune

Could be way off
Old 12/29/06, 08:58 AM
Cobra Member

What flash tuner tool does FRPP use to upload FRPP tunes? I seem to remember some FRPP parts come with a tuner, don't they?
Old 12/29/06, 09:00 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
They 'should' but 'dont' yet.
Just like Roush, the PCM is sent out to be tuned, and sent back next day.

The tool that FRPP has isn't/wasn't ready yet.
Seems that its VERY basic as to just uploading tunes...thats about it.

Quick Reply: *WARNING* All Supercharged/Custom Tuned 05+ Mustangs For Warranty Work