2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vert or Coupe / Stick or Auto

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/04, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a quandry folks. Thought I would poll some experienced 'stang owners.

1) Vert or Coupe? I plan to get an '05 GT. I noticed sooo many folks ordering the coupes now. With the verts coming in the Spring, I cannot decide whether to get one of those or a coupe. Any practical advice? What is your preference and why?

2) Stick or Auto? My wife says auto - and you know you have to keep the home happy. She wants to drive it too and does not like standards. Is there that much of a performance dip when going with auto?

Thanks all for sharing your expertise witht he novice.
Old 10/6/04, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

1) Depends on what you want to do with the car, really. Easy cruising around town? Then a vert is fine. But if you want to play around, I would definitely go with the coupe. A car loses a lot of flex ridigidy when you chop the roof off, and that needs to be compensated with more braces and beams in the body. Result: a heavier Pony, and it may not make up for lost handling anyway. We'll know this when they start testing the vert. So my choice: coupe.

2) As the other guys here say, the results point at very moderate performance loss with the auto, but I'm a stick fan so I'll stay out of this....

GET A STICK!!!
Old 10/6/04, 09:14 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See my sig for my preferences, choosing between a coupe and the vert really depends on where you live, I see you are from Texas and will have plenty of warm months to drop the top. I choose a stick for more of the fact its more fun to drive rather than the performance benefits, also in order for you to see a performance difference, you gotta really know what you are doing with a stick, Motor Trend got a 5.1 0-60 with the auto, thats fast for an auto. If I lived somewhere like San Fran with a lot of hills, and stop and goes on hills, then I would go with the auto. Either way it's personal preference.

Edit: Noticed your Astros comment, Go Cards!!!
Old 10/6/04, 09:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
I have ALWAYS wanted to have a vert again (been almost 30 years since a drop-top), so I will put up with whatever sacrifices I make to enjoy putting the top down.

I have always loved manual shifts, so will go stick.

I know folks will probably call it my mid-life crisis car. I will will tell them it is the car I have always wanted since I was 16; just could not afford it until now.
Old 10/6/04, 09:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

I would love to have a vert again, but since it'll be my daily driver, I'm going with the coupe. Also, since it'll be my daily driver, and my wife requested an auto, I'll be going with the automatic tranny. I'll never race the car so I have no need for the stick, even though I would prefer the manual.

After 15 years of driving sticks though, I'm ready for an auto daily driver. So it all depends on what you're going to do with it. Daily driver? I'd go coupe and auto. Weekend car? I'd go vert and auto. Autocross wannabe? Go coupe and stick.

Have fun any way you go

Jason
Old 10/6/04, 09:50 AM
GT Member

As also live in Houston area with associated heat, humidity, rain, and theft concerns am more comfortable with coupe and ordered such. As for auto vs. manual, manual is so much more fun to drive personally. But, if you spend a lot of time in the traffic here would go for auto. For me commuting is not a factor and went with manual.
Old 10/6/04, 09:52 AM
V6 Member

coupe, stick. I hate how convertibles look with the top up and driving a manual is way more fun.
Old 10/6/04, 10:01 AM
Cobra Member

Living in SoCal, I have had 2 Mustang verts and am planning on getting an '05. The whole thing about "lost rigidity" was easily solved with some custom subframes in my SN95--made it feel stiffer than a stock coupe. Verts will always be heavier, but the weight won't be noticeable on the street to 98% of the popultion. Verts, after all are for crusing.

The whole stick/auto debate will rage on forever, but a stick is more fun for me, and the clutch seemed light enough to drive in traffic (SoCal), though an auto is obviously easier and more practical. My first very was an auto because of the whole traffic issue, but I regretted it very quickly. I have gotten MTs ever since and plan to stay there for quite some time.

If the wife doesn't like MTs, that may be a great way to get her not to drive the car. Afterall, it's your car, right?
Old 10/6/04, 12:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Rampant@October 6, 2004, 10:04 AM
If the wife doesn't like MTs, that may be a great way to get her not to drive the car. Afterall, it's your car, right?
Riiiiiiigggggghhhhhhhtttttt.

Jason
Old 10/6/04, 12:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Seriously, if you are buying the car for performance, buy a stick coupe.

If you are buying for looks, buy what you want.

If you are buying for the wife, buy what she wants.

I hate autos and I hate verts, but that is just my opinion.
Old 10/6/04, 12:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

coupe, stick ! my own preference
Old 10/6/04, 01:38 PM
GT Member

Look at the classifieds for used Mustangs and you'll see that the 'verts go for more. Especially true of Shelbys. New, a 'vert with an auto is the most expensive combination offered, because it's worth it. This combo will fetch the most money on the used market.

As for being fun to drive, the rush when driving a 'vert is unmet. You are much closer to your surroundings than in a coupe. The thing I like is how in a 'vert you can feel the hot and cold thermal pockets that go completely unnoticed in a coupe.

I suspect that a driver of ordinary skill can get a lower ET in a five speed auto than in the five speed manual. The new computer controlled trannys are great and still can be semi-manaully shifted.

The solution is to have in the garage a 'vert with an auto for crusin' and a coupe with a stick for haulin'! B)
Old 10/6/04, 01:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I wanted a vert and my wife preferred a coupe due to the cost difference. Then in August, she did something very thoughtful. She rented me a convertible for about four days. It wasn't a Mustang, but it gave me the ragtop experience (I've never had one before). Ironically, when the rent was over, I wanted a coupe and she wanted the vert!

As for auto vs. manual, places with lots of hills or heavy traffic would make me lean toward an auto. (I live in San Diego and will be getting an auto GT eventually.) Other than those problem situations, I'd select manual. You'll get used to it very quickly, then you'll never even think about it.

Rent a ragtop for a week and see what you and your spouse think of it.

Old 10/6/04, 02:18 PM
V6 Member

You are either a convertible person or you aren't. You'll know if you are or not when you get that one perfect day and that top comes down. From then on you'll just be waiting for those "convertible weather" days.....
Me I don't car how many days in the year I have to spend with the top up...I get that once temperate sunday where I drop the top and take the long route to the beach and it's all worth it. Working in an office all week I need all the outside time I can get!

As for stick or auto it depends on how you feel when the top comes down (if you're going convertible). If the sun relaxes and you just like to cruise go auto. Me, when the top's down it exilarates me and makes driving stick WAY more fun...
Old 10/6/04, 02:23 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by shoneybear3.73@October 6, 2004, 9:55 AM
coupe, stick. I hate how convertibles look with the top up and driving a manual is way more fun.
Second that, I drive a vert now and I hate how it looks with the top up.
I guess all verts should be hard top (SLK)
Coupe and Stick, go for it
Old 10/6/04, 03:01 PM
FR500 Member

IMO, coupe stick.........cuz thats what im getting. plus i dont really know how many 05's will be in this area and i really dont care because im getting the one i want which is what u should be doin. get what u want. plus the us on here who r getting them r like 20 people outta the whole 50,000 orders
Old 10/6/04, 03:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Personally, I'm liking the vert 05s and, if the lady friend wants the manual, get the manual
Old 10/6/04, 05:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Much as it would be cool to have a drop top I like the lines on the coupe the best and I definitely want stick!! Guess we'll have to get that Jeep Wrangler Rubicon I'm also drooling over for going topless!!!
Old 10/7/04, 06:30 AM

Thanks all for the input. I think I am sticking with auto, but as for coupe or vert - I will drive them both and see the difference.

Go 'stros!
Old 10/7/04, 07:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by paulcrae@October 7, 2004, 6:33 AM
Thanks all for the input. I think I am sticking with auto, but as for coupe or vert - I will drive them both and see the difference.

Go 'stros!
Pun intended? Or just still undecided?

/Freud

Quick Reply: Vert or Coupe / Stick or Auto