2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Using "Stabil" for Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/06, 08:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using "Stabil" for Winter Storage

At the end of this month, I'll be putting the Vert away in preparation for our wonderful Chicago winters (we get more inches of salt accumulation than actual snow).

Has anyone that has used Stabil for their Mustangs ever had any problems?. I used Stabil every winter when I put the Powerboat away (sold it in favor of the Vert) and never had any problems when it came to starting it in the spring. That was a 4bbl carb vs. injectors on the Mustang.

If people have used in in their Ponies without a problem, then I'll use it too.

Thanks much.
Old 10/18/06, 05:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I use it all the time with out any problems. 2 and 4 stroke engines. Put it in and drive around a few miles to get it through the system and all is good.
Old 10/18/06, 06:06 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Used it in my car last winter with no issues.
Old 10/18/06, 07:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

I used it in the Mystic when I went to Iraq and had no problems.
Old 10/18/06, 07:51 AM
Cobra R Member

Yep - used it in several vehicles over the years and now in my Mustang - no problems...
Old 10/18/06, 07:51 AM
V6 Member

I use it on all my cars and bikes, as well as mowers etc. Never had any problems with it.
Old 10/18/06, 08:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by steevr
At the end of this month, I'll be putting the Vert away in preparation for our wonderful Chicago winters (we get more inches of salt accumulation than actual snow).

Has anyone that has used Stabil for their Mustangs ever had any problems?. I used Stabil every winter when I put the Powerboat away (sold it in favor of the Vert) and never had any problems when it came to starting it in the spring. That was a 4bbl carb vs. injectors on the Mustang.

If people have used in in their Ponies without a problem, then I'll use it too.

Thanks much.

I used it last year, and put in the amount recommended for "prolonged storage", and my car started up fine in the spring. My car was in a heated warehouse though.
Old 10/18/06, 08:57 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Used it and no issues.
And it was COLD up here
Old 10/18/06, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I always use it in my motor home. Works great. If you don't, the car (camper in my case) would run like **** until fresh gas was put in.
Old 10/18/06, 10:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just another happy customer....Used it for years in MC's and cars with no problems.
Old 10/18/06, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks to all. That's just what I needed to hear.
Old 10/18/06, 05:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Can anyone tell me where to buy it? Thanks.
Old 10/18/06, 07:21 PM

Wal-mart type stores or autoparts stores carry Stabil.

This will be my first winter storing a vehicle. I am planning on using Stabil but any other winterizing / garaging tips that people have? I bought a car cover and am planning on cleaning her up inside and out and then using the cover.

I read on another thread to change oil before putting her away for the winter. Do you guys always put fresh oil in before garaging and also when you bring it out in the spring? I just changed oil about 20 miles ago and probably wont put more than a couple hundred more on before the first snow / ice hits. Suggestions?
Old 10/19/06, 01:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

You should be fine with the oil, as long as it's got under 1K on the oil you'll probably be fine. The problem with keeping dirty oil in the car is the dirty oil can collect acids from the combustion process and these acids are not really good to sit in one spot and etch into sensitive parts. Also dirty oil can make sludge much easier if it sits for a long time, the solids settle out of the oil and into the engine.
Old 11/15/06, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

*Bump*
I just put my GT up for the winter and I did some searching and only found this thread. One thing I have not seen mentioned is do you need to remove the battery or not? I think there used to be a thread on it before the crash. I was concerned that over the winter the anti-theft would drain the battery. And if you should pull the battery are there any concerns for prolonged disconnection to the electrical. In otherwards anything to worry about when you hook her back up in the spring?

TY in advance
Old 11/15/06, 12:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Chicago here, too. I might pick some of that up for my 93 Cobra which will sit this winter. Unfortunately my 06 will be driven from time to time. Are you storing your's at home or renting a place? I'm always on the hunt for rental garages in the area.
Old 11/15/06, 12:59 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Originally Posted by Webba
*Bump*
I just put my GT up for the winter and I did some searching and only found this thread. One thing I have not seen mentioned is do you need to remove the battery or not? I think there used to be a thread on it before the crash. I was concerned that over the winter the anti-theft would drain the battery. And if you should pull the battery are there any concerns for prolonged disconnection to the electrical. In otherwards anything to worry about when you hook her back up in the spring?

TY in advance
At the very least, disconnect the negative terminal of the battery... I had planned to start my car up every 2 weeks or so, and after 10 days the battery was dead and had to be replaced. The rest of the winter, I had the replacement battery in the car with the negative terminal disconnected without issue. This year however, it will be in the basement with a battery tender hooked up.
Old 11/15/06, 02:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Webba
*Bump*

TY in advance
I connect battery tender too but keep the battery on the car.
Old 11/15/06, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Phorty
Chicago here, too. I might pick some of that up for my 93 Cobra which will sit this winter. Unfortunately my 06 will be driven from time to time. Are you storing your's at home or renting a place? I'm always on the hunt for rental garages in the area.
I washed it, changed the oil and put the Stabil in it and filled up the tank. It's stored at home in the garage along with the '82 Vette (I think they fight at night). It now means that my SUV, my wife's SUV and the spare car for the kids sit out on the driveway. Scraping the frost off the windows in the morning sucks.

I'm still looking for a place to store the Vert so I can get at least my wife's SUV in the garage for the winter. I have two neighbors that each only have one car....too bad the rest of their garages are filled with crap.

Self storage rentals are way too expensive around here.

I've got a 2,000 sq ft. heated commercial building that's currently empty and is for lease. I may put the Vert in there until it gets rented. I could probably put a dozen cars in there for the winter. I was almost debating about not leasing it out and using it as a car storage building over the winter. I'd have to get at least a dozen people to make it worthwhile.
Old 11/15/06, 04:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you do decide to use the commercial building, I'd be very interested.

Right now, I'm renting a 10X20 in SW Naperville with the Cobra in it that was half price for the first 3 months. That puts it at $66/month which was by far the best deal I could find. That 3 months is up. I'm about to buy a house with a 2 car garage and will put it in there but my fiance will ultimately like her car to get some garage love, too. So the best way will be to put the 93 somewhere else and use the garage for the 2 cars being used. So now I'm on the hunt...

Side note, I can't stand it when people use their garages for crap instead of cars. Oh well, not much I can do about it...

Quick Reply: Using "Stabil" for Winter Storage