2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Used GT or New V6?

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/05, 04:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey guys,

I'm not fortunate enough to afford a GT new, but I was wondering if you guys think it's better to try and wait to buy a GT used or a new v6 model? I'm hoping that when the 06 models are out that the GT prices will drop enough so I can afford an 05 GT. I've been looking at the Kelly Blue Book and classifieds, and it looks like you can buy an 04 GT for about 20K which is defintely within my price range. I'm hoping the prices drop similarly for the 05 GT. My only fear is that I won't be able to get the color I want. Either Sonic Blue or Screaming yellow.
Old 7/4/05, 04:26 PM
Cobra Member

I'd go for the used Mustang GT if I were, and I'd wait for the 05's to come down a little in price before buying. Sure, an 04 is nice, but the current model is so much better. Obviously when you buy used you're limited to the colors out there, but that's not really a big deal. They all look nice.
Old 7/4/05, 04:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it were me... I'd wait until I could get the car I wanted unless I absolutely had to buy a car right now.

The prices for the '05s and beyond will drop, but it probably won't happen until next year... at least that's what I'm predicting.

By the end of next year there will be MANY new-style GTs rolling around and the Cobra will be out so that will be the next flavor of the month for die-hard Mustang guys... which should put you in a good position to get a decent deal.

Also I would be reluctant to buy any sports car/ muscle car used... there's a VERY good chance it will have been raced, or driven like a bat out of heck.
Old 7/4/05, 04:54 PM
Cobra Member

I'm currently looking for an 05 GT Vert with a manual tranny.

Impossible to find. I'm considering picking up an 04/03 then going for a SVT version in a few years.
Old 7/4/05, 07:45 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by DiamondBlue@July 4, 2005, 5:57 PM
I'm currently looking for an 05 GT Vert with a manual tranny.

Impossible to find. I'm considering picking up an 04/03 then going for a SVT version in a few years.
Diamond Blue- There is currently a Screaming Yellow Gt Convertible manuel at Racette Ford in Oshkosh WI; I dont think the dealer sells over msrp either.
Try searching on ford direct on the area code 54904, there are several dealers with the same exact car.
Old 7/4/05, 08:18 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks very much.

I wish Ford Direct had a nationwide search option.

Have an opportunity to pick up a "brand new" (under 2k on the clock) 2003 Cobra vert for about the same price as an 05 GT vert.

Was about to jump on it. Now I'm wandering around Ford Direct seeing what distant dealers have.

Then again 390hp and IRS does have its advantages...

Should I even be thinking about this? I can add HP to an 05 but not IRS (easily).
Old 7/4/05, 09:08 PM
Cobra Member

I would go for the newer model. Yeah, the power is nice, but the new car is so much better in every other way, it is tough to compare them. So much so, the new live axles is even better than the old IRS (IMHO).

Plus, in a year or two, the new ones will be everywhere and the old body styles will be just that -- old. If that extra 90hp means that much to you, save up and add it (plus more) later.

If it were me, in a year or two, I would be kicking myself for not going with the newer car. But that is just me.
Old 7/4/05, 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Why settle for the old when you could go with the new?

So what if it has more HP... 05+ models look sooooo much better then the older models.
Old 7/4/05, 10:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Rampant@July 4, 2005, 10:11 PM
I would go for the newer model. Yeah, the power is nice, but the new car is so much better in every other way, it is tough to compare them. So much so, the new live axles is even better than the old IRS (IMHO).
Any numbers to back that up?

Plus, in a year or two, the new ones will be everywhere and the old body styles will be just that -- old.
Could be a good thing.
Old 7/5/05, 01:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by DiamondBlue@July 4, 2005, 10:54 PM
Any numbers to back that up?
Didn't someone that did an official test determine that the 05 GT is the 2nd best handling Mustang ever, right behind the 2000 Cobra R?
Old 7/5/05, 06:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by 02gtstangvert@July 4, 2005, 7:48 PM
Diamond Blue- There is currently a Screaming Yellow Gt Convertible manuel at Racette Ford in Oshkosh WI; I dont think the dealer sells over msrp either.
Try searching on ford direct on the area code 54904, there are several dealers with the same exact car.

They want almost 32 thousand for it....add in tax, title, license and..... Yikes!!
Old 7/5/05, 07:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

After seeing how the '05 GT's are being treated by some owners, that would be the last car I would buy used. Can you imagine what they would do to that car knowing it will be sold to some stinker! If you can't afford a new one avoid the used. :nono:
Old 7/5/05, 01:17 PM
Cobra Member

EDIT: To avoid confusion (mostly mine) any comments on my question please look in thread I linked above.

Thanks.
Old 7/5/05, 01:57 PM
GT Member

You might want to go with the new V6. You must remember that insurance is usually higher for the GT. So even if you found a used one you'd be paying more for insurance. Nothing wrong with buying a V6 because you can't muster up the cash. I bought two new V6's ('98 & '01) before I was financially ready to buy my first GT.
Old 7/5/05, 02:19 PM
Bullitt Member

go with the 05 V6, first off like some people have said even a 2002 or 2003 or 2004 GT is going to be higher on insurance and more so if you are looking at a LE version like a mach or a bullit.

The 05 body style is way hot, forget about the HP numbers and go with the style and flavor of the 05. Trust me any HP jokey that is going to give you looks because you have a 6 and he has the biggest baddesst 05 GT or 04 Mach probably will end up "owning" his car for far less time then you will be enjoying your V6.

Meaning they will probably crash or destroy their car in some manner at a way faster rate. While you are still able to cruise around town in style, they will either A no longer have the car or B will have what looks like the mangled remains of a car they are trying to repair.

So go for the Flavor....