2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Upgrade Shaker 500 to Siriumxm/bluetooth/android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/22, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upgrade Shaker 500 to Siriumxm/bluetooth/android Auto

Hello all..
New to the forum and wanna thanks for being welcomed.
About to purchase a 2007 Mustang 2 door coupe that has the Shaker 500 stereo. Has anyone upgraded this to a stereo that allows for Sirius/XM...Android Auto and Bluetooth? If so...would you mind posting what you upgraded to and maybe include a photo?
Very new to all of this and just needing an idea of what I'm looking at cost wise.
As far as quality goes....I guess I consider myself a slightly above average person in what I enjoy. Not real fancy, just indulge some. For instance....Bose Soundbar for my main tv and main music...everywhere else is knock off brands and google home assistant speakers. :-)

Thanks!
Old 5/10/22, 09:22 PM
BRD
V6 Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Crutchfield has everything you need to swap out the shaker to an aftermarket system. I put a Pioneer head unit in mine, was not difficult. One word of advise, spring for their pre-made harness, makes it plug and play pretty much and saves the wiring hassles, well worth the couple bucks. And they give you directions on how to get it all apart. I didn't get the nav/xm unit, this get pricey, but I already had a tom tom gps that I prefer anyhow, and added an xm receiver that plugged in to the aux jack of the head unit, and that was easy also.
Old 5/11/22, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

Originally Posted by BRD
Crutchfield has everything you need to swap out the shaker to an aftermarket system. I put a Pioneer head unit in mine, was not difficult. One word of advise, spring for their pre-made harness, makes it plug and play pretty much and saves the wiring hassles, well worth the couple bucks. And they give you directions on how to get it all apart. I didn't get the nav/xm unit, this get pricey, but I already had a tom tom gps that I prefer anyhow, and added an xm receiver that plugged in to the aux jack of the head unit, and that was easy also.
Thanks! Any idea which Pioneer model you bought?!
Old 5/11/22, 12:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I have tried a Kenwood, a Pioneer, and a Jensen DD and in all honesty, a cheap Eincar DD navigation, Bluetooth, wifi, Android 10 is by far the better and it's a cheap head. It was easier to attach to my 2012 steering wheel with audio controls. It wired up as normal, but the features for a $125 head were far better than the Kenwood DNR I had in there. I like it for the extension microphone attachment so I can use the phone clearly when out driving as well as the USB ports on the front for ease of use.

I now have these radios in all 3 of my Fords. They work so well with Android phones and their features work well together.

Old 5/12/22, 12:40 AM
BRD
V6 Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
The Pioneer head unit I got was the AVH-241EX. I also got 2 pair of Kicker 6x8s to replace the door and back panel factory speakers that had to be tired after 14 years. I like my setup, no complaints other than most head units now a days have gone to button volume controls vs a ****. That has taken a little getting used to, but it does have a remote, so once you learn what buttons on the remote you need, its pretty easy. I will say the kicker 6x8s are a lot "brighter" in sound over the factory ones. One day I may add a small sub to it to punch the bass just a little better, but I'm not gonna rattle all the loose sheet metal on the car like so many now do these days. Hope that helps.