2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

update on fuel filling and CD skipping

Search this Thread

Old 12/10/04, 10:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wife went over to dealer and complained about the fuel filling problem and C/D player skipping.He stated that ford is well aware of the problems and are working on them now.Was told to expect something maybe january.I will post exactly what he told her sat when I see her.FYI
Old 12/11/04, 12:04 AM
Cobra R Member

I crabbed about fueling today. Service writer said fix is in the way as it was a problem for sure.
Old 12/11/04, 12:13 AM
FR500 Member

I am not having any problems with filling her up, but I've seen many posts from people who are. Doesn't matter what type of station, I can pump it in as fast as the pump will allow. Wonder if certain build dates might have experienced the problem and at some point it was remedied? My CD player (500) though will play perfectly for an hour or so, then, all of a sudden, decide to skip within the disc.
Old 12/11/04, 12:32 AM
Cobra Member

Do the pumps that cause the filling problem have the sleeve that goes down to and covers up the gas filler neck opening? I was wondering if these were more likely to cause the problem. I didn't know if the EPA had stricter requirements on vapor emissions in certain cities. We don't have that type in my area. All of the pumps are just metal tubes with springs on them, if I remember correcctly. It is kind of puzzling why some cars would have the filling problem and others wouldn't.
Old 12/11/04, 07:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by ZRX4ME@December 10, 2004, 11:05 PM
wife went over to dealer and complained about the fuel filling problem and C/D player skipping.He stated that ford is well aware of the problems and are working on them now.Was told to expect something maybe january.I will post exactly what he told her sat when I see her.FYI
Going out on a long limb - it sounds like Ford accepts this as a legitimate problem and I am going to guess the shape (bend, etc) of the filler pipe needs to be changed. I am not a mechanic - just a wild guess
Old 12/28/04, 05:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Just an observation on the fuel filling issue for all interested parties, I happened upon a gas pump yesterday that did NOT have the plastic/vynal fume cover around it. It was only the metal hose with the spring. I filled up at full open with no problems. However, with every pump I have used (that I can recall) which HAS the cover around it, I experience the problem.

I'll be sure to keep a much closer eye on it now to see if I can find a pattern.
Old 12/28/04, 06:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

I experienced the same filler problem when I first got the car, but I haven't noticed it recently. I do experience the "Bad Disc" and disc skipping problem. I hope we get some type of fix soon for te CD player.
Old 12/28/04, 06:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by wild stray@December 11, 2004, 1:16 AM
I am not having any problems with filling her up, but I've seen many posts from people who are. Doesn't matter what type of station, I can pump it in as fast as the pump will allow. Wonder if certain build dates might have experienced the problem and at some point it was remedied? My CD player (500) though will play perfectly for an hour or so, then, all of a sudden, decide to skip within the disc.
Better knock on wood dude! I had no problems filling up for 2 months but Christmas day was a different story. Filling up minding my own business...what the heck....aww crap it happened to me, a gasoline waterfall down the side of my car
Old 12/28/04, 07:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

So you guys with the filler problem do not think the filling problem is a result of the fume recovery system on some pumps. Because we do not have those type of pumps in my area and placing gas in the car is no problem.
Ford says it is some other issue? Why would the problem occur several weeks later on fill-ups and not at the beginning? What kind of problem is that? I mean if it is the actual filler pipe on the car, why not a problem putting gas in the car at the beginning?
I just thought it was the pumps themselves, because I have used those type of pumps before, on other cars, and they were a bear to use. Had to shift the pump in many different angles just to get gas in the car.
Old 12/28/04, 07:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

There is already a thread about the filler problem, but anyway...

The one time that I have filled up an 05, it had the problem, and it was not at a station with fume recovery, or whatever those sleeves are. I've used that station many times with other vehicles, so I know for sure it isn't the pumps...

I've no idea why the problem would show up later and not from the very beginning...
Old 12/28/04, 07:30 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

We don't have the sleeves in Bammy............And I still got a waterfall last Thursday. Today should be fill day 2 and I will see if it was a fluke. I am using shell gas in her.
Old 12/28/04, 07:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

I guess I will just wait and see what the outcome is with this issue. Just seems odd that it would not occur everytime people fill up their cars. I have not done a full fillup yet, only a half.
Old 12/28/04, 07:48 AM
Cobra Member

I had this issue happen on another ford. When the weather was cold, no problem. When it was hot, I could fill about a gallon at a time, slowly. The venting on the car's tank was the problem, not the pump.

Suspect same thing here.
Old 12/28/04, 07:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

I only experience the fuel fill-up problem with the pumps that have the fume recovery sleeve. I have to position the nozzle upside down to fill up my '05 in these instances. At those stations without the sleeves, I don't experience the issue.

My CD player also skips, but not too often.

Thanks for the update ZRX4ME.
Old 12/28/04, 07:55 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oddly enough I only experience the fueling issue when I took a trip to the states. I have not had this problem at any pumps in Canada yet.
Old 12/28/04, 08:24 AM
Bullitt Member

The fuel problems have to be with the pipe. It's not just the fumes because actual gas spurts out, causing an immediate shutoff. I did try holding it upside down, and that really did help out a bit, but it happened upside down as well. I can't really tell a difference in the fuel pump designs, I think it might have to do with how the fuel comes out of the pump and how fast. I am REALLY glad Ford is doing something about this. I have experienced the CD loading problem. Perfectly good CD's that play in other cars and CD players just refuse to load up. I don't care about that since I am probably going to upgrade the stereo.
Old 1/3/05, 12:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Still have problem with fueling the car. Will take it back to dealer for the first time in a few weeks.
Old 1/3/05, 01:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by CA Stang@December 28, 2004, 7:52 AM
I only experience the fuel fill-up problem with the pumps that have the fume recovery sleeve. I have to position the nozzle upside down to fill up my '05 in these instances. At those stations without the sleeves, I don't experience the issue.
Yeap, I just got the same issue. I thought I would be one of the lucky ones, but I hadn't refueled at all with a pump that had the vapor recovery system on. Long as I gas up at a pump that doesn't have the recovery system in place, can gas as fast as the pump will allow.
Old 1/3/05, 06:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

hmmm this is weird. I live in virginia, I have been to some pumps with the plastic shroud (fume catch) and some pumps without the shroud, and I have never had a problem. Are you guys saying that the gas actually spurts out, because the shut off functionality of the gas pump does not happen? That stinks!
Old 1/3/05, 03:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Here's another twist for this issue!

I never had this problem until last fill-up when I stopped the fill part way through.

I had pumped 7-8 gallons with no problem then stopped for some reason. When I tried to restart the fill, it would run for a second or two and shut off. After about 6 tries at this I reversed the nozzle and the pump ran to full continuously and shut off properly.

I've had this car since October 28 and filled it about every 7-8 days since without a problem at all. I'm guessing it's an air bubble that forms or something like that - kinda like good old vapor lock!

Quick Reply: update on fuel filling and CD skipping