http://www.waxahachiedailylight.com/...9-18-fatal.txt
Old 9/24/06, 12:22 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is awful
Old 9/24/06, 12:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree that it is aweful but I don't think it has to be posted on this forum. Bad things happen everyday.
Old 9/24/06, 01:09 PM

Unfortunately this is exactly where it should be posted.
Many guys are modifying their cars on this forum. I personally think that modifying your car is a great thing to do. The problems start when you don't know what you are doing. Sure some mods are easy and when you buy engine mods they usually come with instructions but I can tell you, from 10 years of twisting wrenches at BMW, the instructions assume a certain amount of mechanical ability and common sense along with safety procedures.
This was a terrible accident with the loss of two lives.
Hopefully some members here will take heed and take the proper safety precautions while modding or at least bring the car to a qualified mechanic to check it out when it is done.
Old 9/24/06, 01:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree. It is one thing being able to install a part. It is another knowing the difference between a well engineered part that fits correctly and something that is unsafe.

Unfortunatly, many aftermarket parts are poorly designed. And they can be dangerous. Unless you have been around cars a long time, it is sometimes difficult to know what is right and what is wrong when it comes to parts. I have sent back many an aftermarket "improved" part because they were missing or eliminated factory safety features.
Old 9/24/06, 01:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

I don't want to start an agruement but where does it say in the article that these guys didn't know what they were doing? Professional crews for racing teams leave bolts untightened, hoses loose and other things which cause failure and or accidents. My point is that this stuff happens everyday and I for one would like to hear some good news every once in a while. It just seems that everytime a Mustang is involved in an accident it has to be posted here.
Old 9/24/06, 02:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speed, racing and cars all involve some degree of risks when combined together. This is a horrible and unfortunate situation and I for one am very sorry for these poor guys and their families. Sounds like a horrible way to go in what was probably this guys pride and joy. We should all hope we don't see anything like this again.
Old 9/24/06, 03:50 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I agree that it is aweful but I don't think it has to be posted on this forum. Bad things happen everyday.
It was just a link to a factual news report. If you like here is one more your speed, www.cutefuzzybunnys.com
Old 9/24/06, 04:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They were racing in the Fun Ford Weekend event at Texas Motorplex so I think they had some clue as to what they were doing. The mistake they made was taking the car out on the highway to test instead of doing it in a safer place or safer way. Supposedly a fuel related piece(hose, pump or something) broke at high speed. The car was engulfed long before they could stop.
Old 9/24/06, 05:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by tsaints1115
It was just a link to a factual news report. If you like here is one more your speed, www.cutefuzzybunnys.com

Good one! Now that's what I'm talking about Did you have that bookmarked or spend lots of time looking for it?
Old 9/24/06, 05:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Treadhead
They were racing in the Fun Ford Weekend event at Texas Motorplex so I think they had some clue as to what they were doing.
I don't know If I would agree with that-I have seen many, how should I say, interesting arrangements made to vehicles by people who "know what they are doing" that have ended up badly on and away from the track.

The mistake they made was taking the car out on the highway to test instead of doing it in a safer place or safer way.
This might be another clue that they weren't experienced.

Supposedly a fuel related piece(hose, pump or something) broke at high speed. The car was engulfed long before they could stop.
That leaves a question that needs to be answered.

Regardless this was a terrible tragedy.
Old 9/24/06, 08:28 PM
GT Member

My guess, his Belt went. Look at this...

This picture is from his website. His car clearly shows a frayed S/C drive belt. This has happened to one other fella that bailed out and received hospitalization. He was sent on his way with a razor blade to "trim" his belt. I can not think of his name others may remember.

Anyway here's a picture of Chris' car off his website. Belt looks pretty bad. I don;t know when it was taken.

I am very sad for even "knowing" about this accident. It is so terrible, and just knowing of it takes me down... I wish all of the families peace.
Attached Thumbnails Two killed in drag race Mustang-chrisengine.jpg  
Old 9/24/06, 08:39 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsaints1115
that link doesn't work...now how am I supposed to sleep tonite??
Old 9/24/06, 08:58 PM
Cobra Member

Was a very nice looking engine bay, except for the belt. So, very sad that it ended up that way.

I would like to know the investigated cause of this fire.
Old 9/25/06, 07:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

For all we know, those guys could have been members of this site.
Old 9/25/06, 10:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
This is very sad. I hope their families are doing ok. (as well as possible given the circumstances)

I agree that this is good information for us here on this site, a reminder that we should not forget safety when modding our cars.
Old 9/26/06, 02:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

My condolences to their families and friends. Hopefully a definite cause will be determined to help prevent this from happening again.
Old 9/26/06, 05:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

My .02 cents on this one. Had they remained at the track instead of taking the car on the highway to test, emergency and fire paramedics might have been there sooner.
Old 9/26/06, 07:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I certainly don't think there's anything "wrong" with posting this here. Sometimes a little reminder that some of the items that a lot of us work on can come back to bite you if there's a problem is a good thing in preventing future incidents.

That being said, very sad occurence
Old 9/26/06, 09:09 AM
V6 Member

Regardless if they knew what they were doing, professional mechanic or weekend racer, they are a member of our stang community and our prayers should be with their families.

I agree, some poor choices were made, and we can all learn from them, but their poor choices should not have equated to this.

Quick Reply: Two killed in drag race Mustang