2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Trunk Problems

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/06, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem.

When I do a burn out, the back of the car rattles (naturally) and even if it's just a short
couple of skips during the burnout my trunk unlocks and i get the *beep* "Your trunk is
open stupid" in my dash. This sucks because i got to pull my *ss over and shut it all the way. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilies23.gif[/img]

This has happened about 4 times now. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilies23.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilies23.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilies23.gif[/img]
Old 5/2/06, 12:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

You sure nothing is in your trunk and it may be happening to catch on the emergency latch inside the trunk door?
Old 5/2/06, 12:58 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's wierd. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/screwy.gif[/img] My first thought is check to make sure there's a couple of 'springs' on the bottom side of your trunk lid. Mine fell out. Now, if I hit the trunk button the lid doesn't pop open, it just releases the latch. If that has happened, the wheel hop from the holeshot could be springing it upwards.

Don't know, just an idea.
Old 5/2/06, 01:09 PM
Bullitt Member

One time i was driving and i had to brake hard, next thing you know the trunk is open so i stoped on the side of the road and i found that my shopping bag got hooked to the yellow thingy (latch) and it opened it, the funny thing is my friend was just asking me about the latch and i was telling him about another memmber on one of the mustang fourms (i can't recall which one) that got his trunk opened while driving by shopping bags too..

anyways so are u sure u don't have anything heavy that can be hooked to the yellow latch and pull it open?
Old 5/2/06, 01:24 PM

I do have a milk crate back there. ...

So do you think this problem might be solved if I taped
(or otherwise secured) the handle to the inside of the trunk?

Speaking of stuff that gets 'josseled' around in the trunk.
What do you guys use to keep your stuff secure in such
a g-force prone environment?
Old 5/2/06, 02:12 PM
Cobra Member

wrap a bungee cord around the spoiler and hook it on one of your exhaust hangers.. that ought to secure it.
Old 5/2/06, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gloves @ May 2, 2006, 1:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

I rarely keep anything in the trunk, I hate things bouncing around.
Old 5/2/06, 02:27 PM
Bullitt Member

a solution might be if u try to take the yellow (glow in the dark thingy) which looks almost like this, and tape it to the top of the trunk, so that it would be impossible for objects to get hooked on to it, which will result to opening the trunk
Old 5/2/06, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't plan on kidnapping anyone, and I have no kids, so I just took the yellow thing off. It kept happening to me too
Old 5/2/06, 03:00 PM

I just found this during lunch:

There is actually a Velcro spot that the handle sticks to!!!

Speaking of Velcor, I'm going to velcro that crate in place too.
Old 5/2/06, 03:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

When you hit the trunk button, is your trunk lid suppose to "spring open?". Or is it suppose to just unlatch?
Old 5/2/06, 03:53 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FRITZ @ May 3, 2006, 12:18 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
When you hit the trunk button, is your trunk lid suppose to "spring open?". Or is it suppose to just unlatch?
[/b][/quote]

unlatch only
Old 5/2/06, 03:53 PM
I lust for a M24

It's supposed to pop open, but just a little bit, not spring completely open. Mine doesn't move at all.
Old 5/2/06, 04:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

mine doesnt move either. I have 2 10" subs back there that I used a thick metal strap that i bolted to the back of the box, and then bolted to the bit of the frame that supports the rear deck. it doenst move at all. the amp is screwed into the floor of the trunk infront of the speakers. there is no room for anything back there anymore.
Old 5/2/06, 04:26 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gloves @ May 2, 2006, 2:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

I bought myself a cargo net with three rectangular shaped sections in it. I kind of lose part of one section due to the Shaker1000 but otherwise it holds stuff really secure and keeps stuff from sliding around and knocking in the sides and back of your trunk.

I happened to have had a very tall paper grocery bag in the center section the other day. I hit the brakes a bit hard and heard the bag lean over and hit the trunk lid. Then it grabbed the emergency handle on it's way back up and popped my trunk. I had to laugh!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05GT-O.C.D. @ May 2, 2006, 4:56 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It's supposed to pop open, but just a little bit, not spring completely open. Mine doesn't move at all.
[/b][/quote]

Mine doesn't "open" either, it just pops the latch. I'm kind of glad it doesn't pop all the way open. That would suck if it happend while driving and your stuff flew out!
Old 5/2/06, 04:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your truck light in the trunk lid. I had some body work to my car several months ago. Shortly after getting it back, I took a trip up to the mountains. Several times, when I hit a bump the trunk would unlatch. The third time, I stopped and did a bit of looking instead of just closing it.

I found the trunk light loose. When I wiggled it around, occasionally on of the contacts would touch the trunk lid and BAM! The trunk would release. I snapped it back were it belonged and I have not had the problem sense.
Old 5/2/06, 09:22 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful info guys!
Mine comes open everyonce in a while but I just thought I hit the button by accident.

Hey, John, where are these springs? I want to check mine.

As for keeping things secure, check this out:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=27741

I put a sheet of that stuff that you can get to line your tool box drawers or kitchen drawers and it works great. Just have to find a big sheet of it. I got lucky and "obtained" a large sheet from a truck bed toolbox. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 5/2/06, 09:34 PM
I lust for a M24

The springs are mounted to the lid, about 8 inches away from the latch mechanism on both sides.
Old 5/3/06, 07:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had some wheel hop with no trunk problems. Cool about the vel in the trunk to attach the escape pull, hope i never need it. It could be worse like the member topic "Roof panel fell off at 60mph" in Vette

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=47543&hl=
Old 5/3/06, 08:03 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05GT-O.C.D. @ May 2, 2006, 10:37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The springs are mounted to the lid, about 8 inches away from the latch mechanism on both sides.
[/b][/quote]
Thanks.
Mine are still there. Tried to stretch them out a little, but doubt I moved them any.
I think my trunk lid gets stuck to the weatherstripping and that's why it doesn't pop up sometimes.

Didn't find anything that might have been causing it to open by itself. The light isn't securely in place and I couldn't figure out how to secure it, but it's no where near touching the latch.

Quick Reply: Trunk Problems