2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Transmission thud noise with BAMA 91

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/16, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission thud noise with BAMA 91

I just put on the 91 street tune from bama, it runs awesome and totally different car now. But when I go to a stop it sounds like the transmission or gears made a loud thud or slamming noise. Is this common on these tunes and will this end up killing my transmission?

09 V6 AT
Old 10/8/16, 07:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
When you go to stop, does this mean as you're slowing down, when you first apply the brakes, when momentum changes from back to forward, while it is downshifting.....? Be specific. Right now it could be anything from brakes, to driveshaft to transmission to motor/tranny mounts.
Old 10/8/16, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It makes the noise when I go to a stop, it seems to do it as a down shift as if it stays in the final gear and when I reach around 10 to 15 mph it goes from the final gear back to first, it's not as dominate if I'm in traffic and it reaches 3rd gear then down to first at a stop. The higher the gear the transmission is in the louder the noise will be.
Old 10/9/16, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
So as your about to come to a complete stop it makes a thud as it downshifts? And this started with the Bama tune. That would make me believe it was the tune, kinda. Do you have the same tranny as the GT? The 5R55S is a finicky beast. There are a lot more things going on in there than your regular slush box. Here are my thoughts.

The tuning for your tranny may be different than your last tune. Was it a stock tune or another BAMA tune? First off, I wouldn't trust a BAMA tune in my car but that's a whole nother issue. What some of these tuners do to make a street or race tune is they change shift points and throttle blade position relative to pedal position to make it seem like a different tune but the basic ignition and cam timing stays the same. This makes your car feel different and most of the time feel faster even though it's really not.
Anyways, I would put your previous tune back in and see if you can replicate the noise. Then you would know it's the tune. Now it may not be the tune itself it may also be that the tune is bringing out some other issues. If it is down shifting harder or at a different point it could just be putting more stress on the drive train and the thud is a result of that. My car makes a little thud if I shift into first before I really stop moving but I pretty much tuned that out now. Our 2-piece driveshaft comes to mind as they are notorious for clunking. Could be in the rear end. All those noises could sound like they are coming from the tranny. So get underneath there sometime with the car in neutral and the parking brake on and see what kind of movement you have with the driveshaft.

Other than that I can suggest the TCI shifter. Not that TCI is another company that I really like but they're the only ones who make a shifter for our cars. This way you can control all of the upshift and downshift points manually. I did this for a long time until I could get my tranny tuned the way I liked it and still use it when I'm feeling froggy.

Last edited by 07 Boss; 10/9/16 at 08:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rpoppertdomi (10/9/16)