2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Trade in Stang or not?

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/07, 04:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh and for those who think/thought i should give my car back.. hmm it was a grad present for grad. high school.. so if you think that... my input is start giving back every gift you ever got back for grad... c'mon people be realistic... you send invitiations expecting presents... if you say you don't.. prolly a good chance your lieing.. so?
Old 6/9/07, 05:35 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 6/9/07, 06:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You asked for advice, I'm sorry if you did not like the responses. If you did not want people to comment on the particulars of your situation, or you feel they are irrelevant, you should have left that part out! So in response to the first half of your post only - don't do it, it’s a horrible financial decision if nothing else.

Tim
Old 6/9/07, 06:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Wouldnt trading it in be just as insulting as selling it? I mean think about it this way...the CAR was the present...not the money spent on it.
Now...if you had an agreement to trade up for it, I guess thats for you to figure out.

Its a hard thing excepting large gifts.....it comes with baggage about what to do with it when you get done with it and stuff. For instance- My sister in-law recieved a car for graduation about 5 years ago, but she wont trade it in becuase she does not want her folks to flip out about her getting rid of something they paid a lot of money for. (they paid cash for it)
Old 6/9/07, 06:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

um....i say go for the GT. you only live once and i'm sure your parents support you 100% in what makes you happy.

in reality, parents give you everything when you're young. A place to live, food, clothes, love, etc. It would be stupid to say, "no thanks parents, i respect you guys too much, and i'm grateful for everything, but i'm going to live out on the streets the best i can." haha.

in my opinion, enjoy the support while it's there. No point in making things harder for yourself when there's no need, y'know?

I think everybody would love to upgrade to a GT, especially for the price you'll be able to.

go GT!
Old 6/9/07, 07:26 PM
Bullitt Member

if you dont want people's opinions - and just want them to agree with you - then say so. dont get upset that people offer opinions that you dont like.

and i never sent an invitation expecting presents. thats pretty tacky imho..

good luck with your choice
Old 6/9/07, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by kevinb120
I would sell the car outright and give my folks back any leftover money so I wasn't burdening them and as a nice thank-you, then get my own car.
Agreed. This is the way to go.
Old 6/9/07, 07:46 PM
V6 Member

Last edited by NECIO; 8/10/11 at 03:22 AM.
Old 6/9/07, 09:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Youngin......First off, get the GT of that is what you really want. Secondly, dont let a bunch of people you dont know IRL make decisions for you or live your life by it. Thirdly, if you ask for advice dont P & M when you dont get the response you wanted.
Old 6/9/07, 09:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Webba
Youngin......First off, get the GT of that is what you really want. Secondly, dont let a bunch of people you dont know IRL make decisions for you or live your life by it. Thirdly, if you ask for advice dont P & M when you dont get the response you wanted.
ah i'm fine... just didn't see their purpose in writing it...
Old 6/9/07, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
We only wrote becuase you asked!

Here try this: Yea dude get the GT man! - Loan officer

Tim
Old 6/9/07, 09:41 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
If you really want the stang, go for it!!
Old 6/9/07, 10:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
See what you can do around the house so they will just give you a GT
Old 6/9/07, 11:01 PM
GT Member

All i gotta say is ... How are your parents still paying for a "graduation gift" when your graduation was a few years ago? And even then.. its for a car you want to get rid of?
Old 6/10/07, 04:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Maybe some of parents extend the gift thing a bit to far.I have learned that it is just a gift and it belongs to the receiver with no conditions.No matter what the cost.My daughter traded in the Focus we bought her for college.After four years of abuse and parties it was the best thing she did.She got another new Focus and upgraded with more options.Maybe its time to trade up and accept the responsibility of a newer car.As a parent I say go for it.But then again,I would recommend anyone get a GT Mustang.

One thing I won't sell is the 69'SG Gibson(Angus) my dad bought me as my first electric.It was a couple of years old but new to me.Thats one sweet ride.I also have an American Flyer toy train my uncle bought me back in 59',it still puffs smoke..Some stuff you have to keep.
Old 6/10/07, 07:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

If you can afford to upgrade to a GT then go for it. Your parents gift wont be lost your only added to the great gift you recieved. You cant be expected to pay your parents back for gifts they gave you, if not the rest of us would be in debt forever.

Make some numbers, see what you could make payments on and go GT hunting. Find the car with everything you want on it. Dont settle for less just to get a GT you'll regret it.
Old 6/10/07, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

You could always just keep the V6, save up, and buy a GT as well. Then you'll have 2! I've been toying with that idea, although after buying this one, I've learned the value of money...so God knows if I actually will.

It comes down to this: If you are happy wit hthe V6 because it is a nice car with decent pick-up, keep it. If you're a power nut and can afford it, you'll end up getting the GT.
Old 6/11/07, 07:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

Pitch Black it sounds like you know exactly what to do already. Just find what kind of trade in you'd get vs selling it yourself. Then take that and roll it into a new GT. Don't go with the Shelby, your paying $10k for $3k worth of upgrades. Just mod the GT like you were doing your V6.
Old 6/11/07, 08:24 AM
Cobra Member

I agree with the others, I'm amazed that you're letting someone else make payments on a car that you drive when you're working full time. If you want to get the GT, then don't expect someone else to pay off the V6 you're driving now in order for you to "upgrade". Either keep the sixxer and be thankful you have such generous parents or give it back to them and go buy the GT yourself. Oh, and you might want to verify the insurance upcharge before you get too far with this, that might change your mind.

And college is never, ever "free". You may not be paying anything for it out of your pocket, but that does not mean it's "free".

If you think you're being misunderstood in this thread then maybe you should try to step outside of it and look at it from our perspective. You come off sounding like a spoiled brat with no appreciation for the gifts that others are bestowing on you. It is true we do not know you and also true that this impression we're getting is likely completely wrong, but all we have to go on is what you type here. Be careful how you word things if you want to portray a different impression.
Old 6/11/07, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
It is true we do not know you and also true that this impression we're getting is likely completely wrong, but all we have to go on is what you type here. Be careful how you word things if you want to portray a different impression.
There's plenty of Life's lessons in Tres' words! Maybe you should just have this discussion with your folks. They just might appreciate your asking for their opinion. Best of luck. Oh yeah, I've got adult kids too.

Quick Reply: Trade in Stang or not?