2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Trade in Stang or not?

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/07, 10:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trade in Stang or not?

Alrighty... I got a 2005 Mustang v6 Premium for Grad. and i Have put K&N CAI, Brenspeed tune, dual exhaust, and a few other mods on the car. And we'll i was night strolling in the local car dealer and thought about trading the v6 in for a GT possible Shelby GT? What do you all think?

They are still paying for the car and i told them if they would pay the remainder of my car off i would pick up after that.
I can get a loan from the College for 8k.

C"mon need input?
Old 6/8/07, 10:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wait until you can afford it. Your not going to have money for food in college let alone a new car! Get the GT for college graduation!

Tim
Old 6/8/07, 10:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

College is free and i work full time as a web developer.. i can afford it...
Old 6/8/07, 11:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you work full time then just buy your own car, and move into the next step of adulthood.
Old 6/8/07, 11:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

we'll that is what i'm doing expect they are gonna finish paying what they owe on my current mustang... then i would pay the rest... what would ya'll do?
Old 6/8/07, 11:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

I would sell the car outright and give my folks back any leftover money so I wasn't burdening them and as a nice thank-you, then get my own car.
Old 6/8/07, 11:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
I would sell the car outright and give my folks back any leftover money so I wasn't burdening them and as a nice thank-you, then get my own car.
Old 6/8/07, 11:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdbrown75

I had to earn everything in Life. The best feeling ever is to make it on your own. Sell the car. Pay your parents back all the money, then and only then, earn your way... Save your money, be a man and purchase your own new Car with your own money. You will learn much out of Life if you do that.

I paid all my student loans. Never would I accept my parents money for anything. Because of that, I am a Business owner and Scientist...Never take the easy way. You will learn nothing and become the same...

No offence. If I took the easy way I would not be where I am today...
Old 6/9/07, 12:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

My parents gave me a car when I was 16, I went to work after school at friggin Toys 'R Us, and in two months bought a $600 junker and gave the car back to them. I'm 36 now, and I was talking to my mom about looking to buy a house soon and she was like 'well if you want some money I can give you fifty thousand if you need it'... MA! I just don't want the hassle of house without a wife to live with, not in this area at least. I'm movin to the beach first And I have more then that socked away, she acts like I need it because I have a dinky condo...
Old 6/9/07, 12:07 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Be happy with what you have, at least you can floor it and your car actually DOES SOMETHING!! I worked hard for mine too. Painting a building in 100+ degree heat. More like 110 with the heat index. I nearly passed out several times. (and that was just for the paint job )
Old 6/9/07, 12:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

Personally I would be perfectly happy with a nice new sporty car and a free ride in school and thank the maker you weren't born the 12th child in a family of crop workers in some third world country-Although people born with nothing understand happiness in its purest form. I take it the mods were done with monies earned in lieu of helping out with a payment or two(I've never seen the $$ posted in the sig before). Not to be a jerk, but enjoy what you have until you can afford something nicer. I have plenty of customers all the time in their 50's that struggle to get something like a used focus. Just be happy, and get some mirror caps.
Old 6/9/07, 12:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

During college, I had to work two jobs (one changing tires, one pumping gas) to earn enough to live. Kudos on having some skills and doing web development work so you can afford a new car!

To be honest I would not think you’re crazy for trading in the car. Remember that your parents bought you the car as a gift, knowing you really wanted it. Giving it back may be seen as an insult. But if you do trade it in, you need to step up and pay the remainder yourself, and let your parents out of the last payments on the V6.

I bet you'll be glad you did.

Tim
Old 6/9/07, 12:39 AM
Bullitt Member

He's definitely one of the lucky ones. Everything I ever wanted in life I had to work hard for get on my own. My parents, friends or other family members didn't help me...as a matter of fact, I partially support my parents. Me owning my 2006 Mustang was 9 years in the making from the first day when I finally got my driver's license after I turned 18 years old.

In my opinion, I say don't look a gift horse...er car in the mouth or however that saying goes. I swear if my parents had brought my Mustang for me, I would try to hold on to it for as long as I possibly could. If you can afford a GT, great! Take the money you would be paying on monthly payments for the GT and either pay off the Mustang your parents got you or invest it in something...bonds, IRAs, 401(k), stocks, savings account...you get the picture.

Just because you can afford doesn't necessarily mean you have to go for it.

Just my .02
Old 6/9/07, 05:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Life is too short... 100%, go for it!
Old 6/9/07, 07:01 AM
GT Member

I would personal wait until I finished school, I wanted a new GT so bad, but chose to wait until I graduated from college.
Old 6/9/07, 09:30 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitch Black
we'll that is what i'm doing expect they are gonna finish paying what they owe on my current mustang... then i would pay the rest... what would ya'll do?
You pay off the V6, then do what you want and can afford.
Respect is worth more than money.
Old 6/9/07, 01:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Pitch Black
i would say if they owe it then its their car. talk to them about it and let them make the decision. otherwise step up to the plate and do it yourself
Old 6/9/07, 01:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
Now that is the right move.
Old 6/9/07, 01:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

The fact that you are aksing the question tells me you have a little voice inside that's got you feeling a little uneasy about it. Do the right thing!
Old 6/9/07, 04:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

hmm def. not the response i was looking for... first of all don't judge me, you don't know me... second of all you dont' knw the entire story.. all i ask was a simple response to trade it in or keep it... thanks for driftin' off-topic..
those who say sell my car and give the money back to the folks.. kudo's.. you have a sweet heart.. not lets be realistic... the car was a gift.. it wuld be an insult to sell it and give them the money back... i had a choice of wht car to get.. and we'll me nad my dad made a deal.. when i got mine. GT's were to hard to come by.. very few were held on the lots... so we'll i got the v6 and i asked dad if we could trade it in a couple of years down the road for a GT if i paid the difference... and he said that would be fine...
so simple question...simple answer i don't need any lectures bout guilt and givin my car back to my folks...

Quick Reply: Trade in Stang or not?