2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Total Envy...

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/15, 08:37 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Total Envy...

So i have a 2009 mustang (v6/4.0) currently with a single flowmaster american thunder axleback exhaust..But i want to convert to duals (can always get louder right? )...

I love Kyle's Setup!

I live in California however so NO LT's and i need to have cats so i can't use his setup...
Looking for ideas of what people would recommend?
I have been thinking about a few axlebacks to pair with the pypes conversion kit...
-Slp Loudmouths
-Pype Bombs
-Pypes Mid Muffler Cat Back System

I've heard plenty of soundclips on youtube. but i want owners' opinions.. Anyone have slp loudmouths or the pypes mid muffler cat back system? How do you like their sound? Plenty loud? I have never found one thats sold me like kyle's did in the youtube above (wishing i could do it )

P.S. - For now i am sticking with stock manifolds but in ~6 months i will be adding JBA Shorties (only ones legal in cali)

Last edited by Fear; 3/24/15 at 12:31 AM.
Old 3/23/15, 12:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Slps, Borlas, magma flows are all great on the 4.6. I'm particularly fond of slps myself

Edit: gotcha. Well I have an 04 3.8L I put LT headers, bbk o/r h pipe and slps. New it sounded pretty good, obviously really loud. 7 years later it's gotten pretty beaten up and one of my resonators has broken so it sounds awful now. I have my stock mach 1 exhaust I'm going to put on it though and see how it sounds. I don't really know how the 4.0 sounds but you should be ok going to duals. I would just recommend using something with chambered mufflers, although with the cats still on you might be ok with something like slps.

Last edited by LivinTheStangLife; 3/23/15 at 03:14 PM.
Old 3/23/15, 12:56 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LivinTheStangLife
Slps, Borlas, magma flows are all great on the 4.6. I'm particularly fond of slps myself
updated op now.. i have a sixxer sorry i forgot to mention
Old 3/24/15, 12:08 AM
GT Member

Opinions on Slp loudmouths/pype bombs/ Pypes Mid Mufflers?

Last edited by Fear; 3/24/15 at 12:30 AM.
Old 3/24/15, 06:34 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Fear
I don't have real world experience, but maybe something else to think about: The Loudmouths and Pype Bombs are pretty pricey for what is essentially a muffler delete with fancy tips. And with no mufflers, are you gonna be able to pass inspection?
Old 3/24/15, 12:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
I don't have real world experience, but maybe something else to think about: The Loudmouths and Pype Bombs are pretty pricey for what is essentially a muffler delete with fancy tips. And with no mufflers, are you gonna be able to pass inspection?
In So cal , San diego area... I've never heard of or seen someone have a problem with cops here.. Im worried about smog but not inspections.. and if thats the case, do you have a better recommendation rather than the loudmouths/pype bombs?
Old 3/24/15, 01:21 PM
Just Plain Rude!

In So cal , San diego area... I've never heard of or seen someone have a problem with cops here.. Im worried about smog but not inspections.. and if thats the case, do you have a better recommendation rather than the loudmouths/pype bombs?
Not having mufflers should fail you on inspection if they just look. You're missing a part of the emissions system. I already have mufflers tucked away in storage to swap in for inspection when the time comes.
Old 3/24/15, 01:54 PM
GT Member

Not having mufflers should fail you on inspection if they just look. You're missing a part of the emissions system. I already have mufflers tucked away in storage to swap in for inspection when the time comes.
Oh.. Sorry kinda confused but how does the lack of a muffler affect emmisions itself? Obviously its part of the system but it's not like it takes a filter off or something like that.. Am i dumb?
Old 3/24/15, 02:37 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Oh.. Sorry kinda confused but how does the lack of a muffler affect emmisions itself? Obviously its part of the system but it's not like it takes a filter off or something like that.. Am i dumb?
No, not dumb at all. I think it's stupid too. But if it was there from the factory, then it's still supposed to be there...at least last I checked. Cats and mufflers are "obvious", it's supposed to have them, kinda things.
Old 3/24/15, 03:43 PM
GT Member

No, not dumb at all. I think it's stupid too. But if it was there from the factory, then it's still supposed to be there...at least last I checked. Cats and mufflers are "obvious", it's supposed to have them, kinda things.
kinda disheartended if your right.. my understanding was that as long as its not an emissions control device (which it isnt.. thats the cats)... i would be alright
Old 3/24/15, 05:54 PM
Just Plain Rude!

I think it's pretty stupid too, but that's what I've been told and that's how I understood the laws.
Old 3/24/15, 10:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
I live in California however so NO LT's and i need to have cats so i can't use his setup...
Looking for ideas of what people would recommend?
I have been thinking about a few axlebacks to pair with the pypes conversion kit...
-Slp Loudmouths
-Pype Bombs
-Pypes Mid Muffler Cat Back System
)

Since you live in CA (as do I), you can only get exhaust that has a CARB certification number.

For the most part you won't fail smog if you get any one of the mufflers you listed above since they are axle backs and occur AFTER the catalytic converters, BUT... converting to dual exhaust is a no-no UNLESS you can show the smog tech that it's CARB approved. I don't know of any single to dual exhaust conversion that would be legal in CA (not saying one doesn't exist) since there was never an OEM dual exhaust for the V6 for your year.

I would steer clear of the SLP Loudmouths, they attract attention from the cops and the drone they emit in your cabin is unbearable to most people. A lot of guys on this forum in its heyday had them, and many sold them after a few months due to the drone.

What's wrong with the American Thunder? I have them and they sound awesome!
Old 3/24/15, 11:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I know on the 3.8s once you switch mid pipes any gt catback fits on so you should be able to get carb approved gt exhaust. On my 3.8 I put v6 LT headers and a gt o/r mid pipe and slps that fit a GT so you can go dual. See what the stock size is coming out of the v6 headers and what the header to midpipe is on a catted midpipe. If it'll all match up just switch midpipes and throw any set of GT catback on there

Last edited by LivinTheStangLife; 3/24/15 at 11:16 PM.
Old 3/25/15, 06:41 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Since you live in CA (as do I), you can only get exhaust that has a CARB certification number.

For the most part you won't fail smog if you get any one of the mufflers you listed above since they are axle backs and occur AFTER the catalytic converters, BUT... converting to dual exhaust is a no-no UNLESS you can show the smog tech that it's CARB approved. I don't know of any single to dual exhaust conversion that would be legal in CA (not saying one doesn't exist) since there was never an OEM dual exhaust for the V6 for your year.

I would steer clear of the SLP Loudmouths, they attract attention from the cops and the drone they emit in your cabin is unbearable to most people. A lot of guys on this forum in its heyday had them, and many sold them after a few months due to the drone.

What's wrong with the American Thunder? I have them and they sound awesome!
its ok suppose but i more loud
Old 3/25/15, 07:36 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,725 Posts
its ok suppose but i more loud
Me like loud car two!
Old 3/27/15, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLP

I have an SLP exhaust on my 05 GT. Sounds great! I can post a video later for you.
Old 4/4/15, 04:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Me like loud car two!
Old 4/5/15, 11:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Drone...drone...drone... I'm telling ya... it'll rattle the fillings out of your teeth...
Old 4/5/15, 11:49 PM
GT Member

Drone...drone...drone... I'm telling ya... it'll rattle the fillings out of your teeth...
which will?
Old 4/6/15, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm getting rid of my Borla setup and putting Ford Racing Bullitt axle-back exhaust on--just a tad louder than stock GT but shouldn't drone like the Borla

Quick Reply: Total Envy...