2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Top latching problem '05

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/05, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My top does not come all the way up to the point where it meets the top rail. it stops about 1" before the pins can engage. If I keep pressing the top up button while pulling down on the top, it will engage but the motor is straining and it almost takes 3 hands to push button, pull down, engage latch.

Dealer doesn't know how to adjust and no bulletins.

Any one else had this issue or know how to adjust?
Old 7/11/05, 06:13 PM
Cobra Member

well if i was you i would bring it to the dealer and leave it there till they fix it...it is clearly not working correctly ... they should call ford if they dont know how to do something...
Old 7/11/05, 08:20 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Originally posted by KJ in IL@July 11, 2005, 7:00 PM
My top does not come all the way up to the point where it meets the top rail. it stops about 1" before the pins can engage. If I keep pressing the top up button while pulling down on the top, it will engage but the motor is straining and it almost takes 3 hands to push button, pull down, engage latch.

Dealer doesn't know how to adjust and no bulletins.

Any one else had this issue or know how to adjust?
has the weather been cold when this happens ?? that will definitely shrink it..I hate shrinkage
Old 7/12/05, 07:54 AM
V6 Member

I have been having some trouble with my top also. When I am closing it, the top does not come straight down into the pin holes. It is hitting the L/H latch. This has caused the plasit cover to break and the metal to start to split at the seam. Will be heading to the dealer this week to get it fixed. Any one else having this problem?
Old 7/12/05, 08:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine always comes close but not quite to the top rail of the windshield. I then need to pull the top down to have the pins engage in the holes and latch. It is a tight fit but this is to prevent slack and wrinkles in the top when up I would think.

To have a top in which does not come up even and one latch hitting before the other is not right and the top should be adjustable.

Either take it back until they do fix it or go to another dealer that might have more experience with verts.
Old 7/12/05, 08:17 AM
GT Member

I thought it was me. Mine goes down almost all the way, but I still have to pull it to get it to line up and close.

I had a Honda before and opening and closing the roof was so fast and easy. I thought this was a Ford thing. I know I shouldn't have to force the thing to close, but since it was always that way ...

I guess the car is going back to the dealer for a visit.
Old 7/12/05, 08:17 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I have noticed that mine will occasionally be very difficult to latch on the drivers side. I am able to pull it into place easily with the center hand hold, but when i go to turn the lock it is very difficult to move indeed.

I'm thinking of taking it in for a squeak that has developed when the top is down. (I'd lube it myself, but i'm afraid of drippage staining something.)

But all this will have to wait, since I leave for Africa in 2 days.
Old 7/12/05, 08:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From the horse's mouth (pun intended )
4/27/05

To: All Ford Dealers
Subject: Mustang Convertible Top Raise/Lower Instructions

The convertible top latching mechanism on the 2005 Mustang is significantly different from what has been used in the past. Some convertible top latch handles have broken due to excessive force applied when closing the top.

Convertible owners may have difficulty in latching the top, or risk breaking the lever, if they are not aware of the unique operating characteristics of the new latch design. It is critical that you communicate to customers the proper way to raise and lower the convertible top. The correct instructions are below.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR LOWERING THE CONVERTIBLE TOP

1) Bring the vehicle to a complete stop and leave the engine running to avoid draining the battery. Engage the parking brake. (Note: The convertible top will not operate unless the vehicle is traveling less than 1.8MPH (3km/h).)

2) Check the top stowage compartment behind the rear seat to make sure it is empty, then check the top outer surface to make sure it is dry and free of leaves and debris.

3) Unclamp the top from the windshield header by pulling each latch handle down, then rotating them toward the back of the vehicle until they are in the full open position and clear the header.

IMPORTANT!! The latch handles must be pulled downwards fully to allow the latch to fully rotate into the open position.

4) If the top has not been lowered for some time, gently push the front edge of the top up to make sure it is not sticking to the header. If it is sticking, this will usually free it.

5) The convertible top switch is located in the overhead console. Push and hold the switch until the windows are down and the top is fully lowered and stowed.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR RAISING THE CONVERTIBLE TOP

1) Bring the vehicle to a complete stop and leave the engine running to avoid draining the battery. Engage the parking brake. (Note: The convertible top will not operate unless the vehicle is traveling less than 1.8MPH (3km/h).)

2) Open the Driver and Passenger side latch handles by pulling them down, then rotating them toward the back of the vehicle until they are in the full open position.

3) Push and hold the convertible top switch until the windows lower completely (if up) and the top unfolds and moves forward toward the windshield header.

4) Continue to hold the convertible top switch to raise the top until it has reached the fully closed position, flush with the header.

5) The two pins under the forward top edge should align themselves in the matching header holes when latching the top. If they do not, use the center grip located above the rearview mirror to pull the top down and the pins into position. DO NOT apply excessive force on the latch handles to bring pins into position, as this may cause them to break.

6) Secure the Driver side latch first, followed by Passenger side. Pull down on the latch handles, then rotate them forward into the windshield header until they reach the full forward position. Flip to latch handles up to final position so that they are flush with the windshield header.

IMPORTANT!! The latch handles must be pulled downwards fully to allow the latch to fully rotate into the closed position

Just a little FYI...
Old 7/12/05, 11:57 AM
Cobra Member

Those instructions are straight out of the owner's manual. Everyone read their owner's manual, right?

The top is harder to seat when it's new. The first month I had to apply pressure on the handle while engaging the latches. Now (a few months later) it has gotten noticably easier to engage the latches. It's quite easy now.
Old 7/13/05, 07:37 AM
Cobra Member

Mine goes back and forth, some days it is ridiculously easy to latch it shut, other times it requires quite a bit of force.

And I always follow those instructions, except for keeping the engine running. I only do that sometimes, gas is expensive.
Old 7/13/05, 08:29 AM
V6 Member

Let's see, I put the top down after delivery and then put it up once at home just to show someone what it looks like, then put it back down again where it has stayed (with the boot on) ever since. Lucky for me, this car only goes out when there isn't a cloud in the sky. BTW, no operating problems on either occasion.
Old 7/13/05, 09:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Tres Wright@July 12, 2005, 2:00 PM
Those instructions are straight out of the owner's manual. Everyone read their owner's manual, right?

Owner's manual? What owner's manual?
Old 7/13/05, 09:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by pk2112@July 13, 2005, 8:32 AM
Let's see, I put the top down after delivery and then put it up once at home just to show someone what it looks like, then put it back down again where it has stayed (with the boot on) ever since. Lucky for me, this car only goes out when there isn't a cloud in the sky. BTW, no operating problems on either occasion.
I put the top up just about everyday when I park it at work. Don't want the sun to fade the red interior over time or a bird to do a :nono: in it.

I leave the top down when I park it in the garage at home though.
Old 7/13/05, 09:46 AM
GT Member

I put the top up at work -- I'm a teacher and the idea of someone keying my car is bad enough, but what could happen to the cloth seats is just not worth the risk. Okay, I could pass all my stucdents, but ...

I tried using the center thing yesterday and it almost felt like I was adding more pressure to the latch holder because the pressure I applied went to the center and not to the sides.

I'm concerned about breaking the latch now.

Also, here's my dumb question for the hour:

When I put the top up, I unlatch it, raise it a little, close the handle and then put the top all the way down.

When I put the top up, I wait until it is about 2 or 3 inches away, stop it, undo the latches and then lower until I close it.

Is that what I'm supposed to be doing?
Old 7/13/05, 10:27 AM
Cobra Member

I don't know about supposed to or not... but i don't.

I just leave the latches open.... There is plenty of room for them when the top is folded.
Old 7/16/05, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Boltzman@July 11, 2005, 9:23 PM
has the weather been cold when this happens ?? that will definitely shrink it..I hate shrinkage
Chicago has been in the 90's no problem with cold.
Old 7/16/05, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Fellser@July 12, 2005, 9:20 AM
I thought it was me. Mine goes down almost all the way, but I still have to pull it to get it to line up and close.

I had a Honda before and opening and closing the roof was so fast and easy. I thought this was a Ford thing. I know I shouldn't have to force the thing to close, but since it was always that way ...

I guess the car is going back to the dealer for a visit.
I had dealer check a new vert that came in and top goes up until it touched top rail. both pins were engaged and it only took minimum pull down to latch. If I don't keep top up motor running, I can't get pins into holes. Going to Ford body shop for them to look at it next. Mechanics didn't know what to adjust, but the emailed Ford and there is adjustments they can make.
Old 7/16/05, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by Tiberius1701@July 12, 2005, 9:29 AM
From the horse's mouth (pun intended )
4/27/05

To: All Ford Dealers
Subject: Mustang Convertible Top Raise/Lower Instructions

The convertible top latching mechanism on the 2005 Mustang is significantly different from what has been used in the past. Some convertible top latch handles have broken due to excessive force applied when closing the top.

Convertible owners may have difficulty in latching the top, or risk breaking the lever, if they are not aware of the unique operating characteristics of the new latch design. It is critical that you communicate to customers the proper way to raise and lower the convertible top. The correct instructions are below.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR LOWERING THE CONVERTIBLE TOP

2) Check the top stowage compartment behind the rear seat to make sure it is empty, then check the top outer surface to make sure it is dry and free of leaves and debris.

3) Unclamp the top from the windshield header by pulling each latch handle down, then rotating them toward the back of the vehicle until they are in the full open position and clear the header.

IMPORTANT!! The latch handles must be pulled downwards fully to allow the latch to fully rotate into the open position.

4) If the top has not been lowered for some time, gently push the front edge of the top up to make sure it is not sticking to the header. If it is sticking, this will usually free it.

5) The convertible top switch is located in the overhead console. Push and hold the switch until the windows are down and the top is fully lowered and stowed.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR RAISING THE CONVERTIBLE TOP

2) Open the Driver and Passenger side latch handles by pulling them down, then rotating them toward the back of the vehicle until they are in the full open position.

3) Push and hold the convertible top switch until the windows lower completely (if up) and the top unfolds and moves forward toward the windshield header.

4) Continue to hold the convertible top switch to raise the top until it has reached the fully closed position, flush with the header.

5) The two pins under the forward top edge should align themselves in the matching header holes when latching the top. If they do not, use the center grip located above the rearview mirror to pull the top down and the pins into position. DO NOT apply excessive force on the latch handles to bring pins into position, as this may cause them to break.

6) Secure the Driver side latch first, followed by Passenger side. Pull down on the latch handles, then rotate them forward into the windshield header until they reach the full forward position. Flip to latch handles up to final position so that they are flush with the windshield header.

IMPORTANT!! The latch handles must be pulled downwards fully to allow the latch to fully rotate into the closed position
Just a little FYI...
Thanks, tried al that and checked against another Vert that comes down to the top rail with pins engaged in holes. Easy latch from that point.
Mine won't latch unless I keep motor pushing forward to get pins in holes
Old 7/16/05, 12:13 PM
Bullitt Member

RE: keeping the top down

Probably a good idea to cycle the top every now and then. Leave it up overnight, etc... otherwise something could break and you would never know it till you NEEDED it... not to mention the folded top getting a few wrinkles permenantly imbedded...
Old 7/26/05, 05:49 PM

Just an update:

Mine has been at dealership for 2 days now.
They do not believe there is a forward adjustment to bring the pins in alignment with holes.
They oerdered in new top rail brachets (hole part) and will install next to see if it is a location problem. Frod says there is no adjustment available to top position.

Will let you know if this is successsful repair later this week

Quick Reply: Top latching problem '05