2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

took a gt500 for a ride today...

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/10, 07:26 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
took a gt500 for a ride today...

A buddy is getting rid of his gt500, he drove it to work today, told me to take it for a spin...nah, I'd better not...bs- its just sittin there, the keys are in it, go...well, OK

actually was suprised at how docile the thing was, it wasnt mine and I aint had a ticket in >30 yrs, so didnt get silly with it- but down low, boost is right there, but it didnt have the bigblock feel I was expecting at all. below 3k, it felt like my gt, just a little more grunt, at 3-4k though its just starting to come into its own, and yeah it scoots pretty darn good. most impressive part IMO was the shifter-first shift it felt like less than neutral going for second compared to my car, but man, what a smooth short throw shifter...and the clutch is smooth as silk too(isnt it a twin disc?)

a really docile cruiser, I really didnt expect that- the blower has a kinda neat subtle whine as the boost comes on, oddly the exhaust sounded kinda bikelike compared to my stock gt...I asked if it had a x-pipe, he said just axlebacks, really expected a more sinister exhaust. best exhaust Ive heard to date was a buddys with corsa mufflers- deep rumble, kinda agressive at WOT, no resonance. gotta say I think (maybe just because I'm used to it) the stock gt leather wheel feels better- where I put my hands above the spokes, that bump just dont fit for me...thumb on top of the spoke OK, but with the high beltline I tend to find myself always with my hand at the 10 oclock position...gotta say SVT sure did a nice job on it though- 500 hp and smooth as silk compared to what I was expecting to be a brutish rough ridin rip snortin tire melter...but thats only when you want it to be I guess
as I pulled out everyone was bummed, expecting to see it go smoking on down the road, but like I said, its not mine- was glad to just get a 'test drive'...was really hoping to feel that bigblock off idle torque I havent had available for so long, so was a bit of a letdown there honestly...I soooo wish they would get off the horsepower kick and build us some low RPM torque monsters that can be more legally enjoyed...my old 429 gal would pin you to the seat stoplight to stoplight smoothly and quietly unlike any car Ive ever ridden in- well, except a buddies 455 Olds powered trans-am with 3.73s and a stickshift...now that car was outright brutal, but it wouldnt rev like that 429
Old 5/24/10, 10:02 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
That was my first impression as well, off boost it felt like a GT with a little extra grunt. Its a shame Ford never offered an AL/AL 3v 5.4 in the GT from the get go.
Old 5/25/10, 03:17 PM
legacy Tms Member

might be a twin to your car...you have vista blue stripes too? gotta say my favorite shelby stripe combo
Attached Thumbnails took a gt500 for a ride today...-shelby.jpg  
Old 5/25/10, 03:23 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429
...I soooo wish they would get off the horsepower kick and build us some low RPM torque monsters that can be more legally enjoyed...
Good point. Cause now when you're in the power band you're always entering ticket land. To have more useable power within speed limit range would be a real blast.
Old 5/25/10, 03:57 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Good point. Cause now when you're in the power band you're always entering ticket land. To have more useable power within speed limit range would be a real blast.
yeah, my old 1969 429 was 'only' 360 HP, but it also put out 480 ft-lb at like 2400...probably close to 400 off idle- felt 'strong like bull' to coin a phrase from a oldtimer I worked with Just touch the gas, no muss, no fuss, pinned to the seat-and hard...
that 455 my buddy built up for his TA was bad...think they had like a inch more stroke than a 429, and while it redlined at 5500, at idle RPM I bet it put out well over 500 ft-lb soon as you touched the right pedal. it didnt last long, he blew it up that same year, but torquewise it was a absolute beast...I *think* olds had one of if not the longest strokes of all the bigblocks...in any event at 10:1 with a cam and intake it was a bad SOB
Old 5/25/10, 03:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A buddy is getting rid of his gt500, he drove it to work today, told me to take it for a spin...nah, I'd better not...bs- its just sittin there, the keys are in it, go...well, OK

actually was suprised at how docile the thing was, it wasnt mine and I aint had a ticket in >30 yrs, so didnt get silly with it- but down low, boost is right there, but it didnt have the bigblock feel I was expecting at all. below 3k, it felt like my gt, just a little more grunt, at 3-4k though its just starting to come into its own, and yeah it scoots pretty darn good. most impressive part IMO was the shifter-first shift it felt like less than neutral going for second compared to my car, but man, what a smooth short throw shifter...and the clutch is smooth as silk too(isnt it a twin disc?)

a really docile cruiser, I really didnt expect that- the blower has a kinda neat subtle whine as the boost comes on, oddly the exhaust sounded kinda bikelike compared to my stock gt...I asked if it had a x-pipe, he said just axlebacks, really expected a more sinister exhaust. best exhaust Ive heard to date was a buddys with corsa mufflers- deep rumble, kinda agressive at WOT, no resonance. gotta say I think (maybe just because I'm used to it) the stock gt leather wheel feels better- where I put my hands above the spokes, that bump just dont fit for me...thumb on top of the spoke OK, but with the high beltline I tend to find myself always with my hand at the 10 oclock position...gotta say SVT sure did a nice job on it though- 500 hp and smooth as silk compared to what I was expecting to be a brutish rough ridin rip snortin tire melter...but thats only when you want it to be I guess
as I pulled out everyone was bummed, expecting to see it go smoking on down the road, but like I said, its not mine- was glad to just get a 'test drive'...was really hoping to feel that bigblock off idle torque I havent had available for so long, so was a bit of a letdown there honestly...I soooo wish they would get off the horsepower kick and build us some low RPM torque monsters that can be more legally enjoyed...my old 429 gal would pin you to the seat stoplight to stoplight smoothly and quietly unlike any car Ive ever ridden in- well, except a buddies 455 Olds powered trans-am with 3.73s and a stickshift...now that car was outright brutal, but it wouldnt rev like that 429
LMAO... Docile? Did you write this review before or after you took a hit off your crack pipe? I've own 6 Mustangs, with a GT500 being the most resent... and 2007 GT prior to that... also numerous other fun cars over the years. While it is known that there are much more powerful cars out there, "docile" would not be the first word to come to mine when describing a GT500.
Old 5/25/10, 04:09 PM
legacy Tms Member

I just really expected it to be able to do a lot more at lower rpm...yeah rev it up, it pulls like a freakin jet, but I'd personally(you know how opinions are...) much rather have a 300 hp bigblocks torque curve, just because they dont need to get loud to start pulling...my first few cars were mild bigblocks, I just really expected a 500 hp mustang to be almost painful to step on the gas...I think its impressive that the car can be easily driven like a daily driver yet still be a 12 second car...I only spend a few minutes a year at the most on the track, but put near 10k miles on over the summer- I miss that torque.
Old 5/25/10, 04:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I just really expected it to be able to do a lot more at lower rpm...yeah rev it up, it pulls like a freakin jet, but I'd personally(you know how opinions are...) much rather have a 300 hp bigblocks torque curve, just because they dont need to get loud to start pulling...my first few cars were mild bigblocks, I just really expected a 500 hp mustang to be almost painful to step on the gas...I think its impressive that the car can be easily driven like a daily driver yet still be a 12 second car...I only spend a few minutes a year at the most on the track, but put near 10k miles on over the summer- I miss that torque.
No worries. Just busting chops . You do have to get on it, but once the SC kicks in... hold on! Most people add simple bolt-ons like a CAI and pulley, then it's a totally different car .
Old 5/25/10, 09:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A pulley change and 3.73 will exceed your expectations......
Old 5/25/10, 09:57 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

might be a twin to your car...you have vista blue stripes too? gotta say my favorite shelby stripe combo
Yep

Old 5/25/10, 10:02 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

I think the best description of Ford's S/C engines was along the lines of "build's power like a freight train". Nice smooth delivery on the power yet deceptively fast.
Old 5/25/10, 10:18 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by bob
Yep
cool- I'll have to tell him tomorrow he also has one of 651 white 09s

Ive tried to talk him into keeping it, think he wants me to buy it, but I'm car poor already...
Old 5/26/10, 05:19 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Like a set of 4.10's....
Old 5/30/10, 10:06 AM
Bullitt Member

I drove a buddies when they first came out, and the dealers were asking 10K over MSRP. Which would have been over double what I paid for my car at the time.

It was nice, but I did like the handling/feel of my car with mods better. I just did not see the car being worth that kind of buck and knew the whole "limited production to 7500 car" BS was not going to be a real cap.
Old 5/31/10, 08:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Ah c'mon you know you want to buy it!
Old 5/31/10, 04:33 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
So, are you getting one?
Old 5/31/10, 07:37 PM
legacy Tms Member

if I won the lotto, helped out everyone I could, then if there was anything left, maybe I'd seriously rather put a bigblock in my GT...bottom end torque is where the fun is IMO- would probably cost far less and be far more fun in daily driving
Old 6/1/10, 08:42 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

if I won the lotto, helped out everyone I could, then if there was anything left, maybe I'd seriously rather put a bigblock in my GT...bottom end torque is where the fun is IMO- would probably cost far less and be far more fun in daily driving
Check out John Kasses' BB S-197 Mustang and I think its still lighter on the nose than the 07-09 GT500s

Funny story, because the engine bay on the S-197 is so wide, my brother thought somebody had slipped a 351w in a black car, his was in awe when I told him it was 460 conversion. Then I showed him a 331 sitting in a race car complete with long tubes and centri supercharger and his jaw dropped.
Old 6/1/10, 08:40 PM
legacy Tms Member

Kaase' Boss is by far the coolest S197 Ive seen- a bit over the top- IIRC it was like 900 hp/900 ft-lb, a bit excessive unless hauling freight cars I'd just be REAL happy with >450 ft-lb at 2000 rpm...
Old 6/6/10, 03:22 PM
Bullitt Member

When we were kids back in the 70's a buddy of mine had a 70 Olds 442. Bottom end was stock, but it had a mild cam, Edelbrock intake, 800 Holley & headers. Turbo 400 with 3.42 gears. Not a W-30, but gobs of torque. Nothing like them old big-blocks!

Quick Reply: took a gt500 for a ride today...