2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Took car in for a check-up and they found something...

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/06, 09:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Took car in for a check-up and they found something...

I dropped my car off Wednesday morning for them to check out some clunking and a little whine I have coming from the rear of the car. I expected them to call me later in the afternoon to come pick it up and to tell me that the Steeda 3rd link is causing the problem and to remove it. Instead, the dealer never calls. I finally get to the phone at around 5 to call and they tell me it hasn't been looked at yet. Why do you make an appointment for a specific day and time if they aren't looking at it anyway? Another day passes. No call. I didn't get to a phone until 5:30 but call them and they say it is waiting on parts and can't tell me anything else. WHAT? Couldn't they call me to tell me what they plan on doing? I am pretty nervous. I don't like people touching my car and I almost cancelled the appointment, but thought, wth. I should get everything checked out. I wonder if they plan on rebuilding the rear-diff or replacing the diff clutches. Heck, it could be anything.

Thanks...had to vent as my wife just rolls her eyes when I say, "Waiting on parts!! What are they going to do to it!"
Old 7/13/06, 09:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They should at least communicate what they are doing. I've taken my car in twice for the rear end noise. Had an "appointment" at 7 am, both times they didn't call me until 4 pm (at least the same day, tho) to tell me that "yes, there is a problem" and "no, it won't be ready today".

First time they had the car four days waiting for a ring and pinion to "come in from Detroit". Second time they had it three days to replace the differential carrier bearings they apparently screwed up fixing the ring and pinion.

But both times they clearly communicated the problem to me, told me what they were going to do, when they anticipated it was going to be ready, and when asked, that it was covered under warranty.

I would make sure with your 3rd link installed that they aren't going to try an gyp you out of your warranty. My guess is that since they are not waiting on your consent to do the repairs, and taking their sweet time about it, that they're doing it under warranty.
Old 7/14/06, 12:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

After calling twice today, I finally found out what is going on. I wish they would have called me first. They have it apart and are waiting for the ring and pinion to come in. I would have told them to wait a few months as I have read of some getting better after 5,000 miles. They didn't ask my permission, so I would say they aren't trying to void my warranty, but the guy did ask me if I had anything aftermarket on there as he saw the third link and thought it didn't look factory.

I just hope they don't screw it up. I wonder if they test drove it and heard it, read my complaint and matched it to the TSB, or checked the specs on the diff. I am sure the third on my list is the least likely.
Old 7/15/06, 06:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

They didn't check the specs on the diff until I brought in in the 2nd time, when they ended up replacing the carrier bearings.

Not that this will make you feel any better, but my rear end still whines a little bit after all this anyway. I'm now taking the wait and see 5-10K miles with this ring and pinion. I still have two years on the warranty so...

Let me know when you get yours back if your whine completely goes away, or just gets quieter.
Old 7/15/06, 07:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by BuzzyStang05
Let me know when you get yours back if your whine completely goes away, or just gets quieter.
Will do. I wish they would let me call in a tech that knows how to set up an 8.8. I know a guy who has done ring&pinion installs for me and some of my friends and we never had a problem with noise. He always tells people to heat cycle them. He takes your car out for the first drive and lets it sit for a while. He says that is the key. No beating on it for the first few heat cycles and then have your way with it.
Old 7/15/06, 10:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ttbit
Thanks...had to vent as my wife just rolls her eyes when I say, "Waiting on parts!! What are they going to do to it!"

Ehh, take something of hers she cares a lot about and/or spent a lot of money on, tell them someone is "fixing it" and that they are "waiting on parts" but they won't say what is wrong with it. Oh, it'll be ready in a couple of weeks, maybe.

See what the reaction is.
Old 7/15/06, 07:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ttbit
but the guy did ask me if I had anything aftermarket on there as he saw the third link and thought it didn't look factory.
Doesn't sound like a very professional outfit. Hope they are better at fixing stangs than they are at communicating with their customers.
Old 7/16/06, 08:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I decided to stop in at the Saturday to see if they even had it apart. It was on the ground and together. I spoke with the tech who worked on it. He said he rebuilt the rear-diff as he heard the hum I mentioned, but now he hears a hum on decel, so he wanted to do it again on Monday. I told him I wish they would have talked to me first as I would have had them hold off on the diff. I was interested in the clunk more than the hum. He said the service writer never communicated with him and I told him that he never communicated with me either. The tech asked me if I wanted to test drive it, so I did. I did hear a slight hum on decel at about 60 mph. I drove it a little more and it got quieter. He gave me the option of taking it home and seeing if it was OK with me. I feel more comfortable with trying it out for a while before having him tear into it again. After about 5 heat cycles now, you can barely hear the hum and it is on decel from 60ish to 55 or so. I'll know more in some days, but I don't think anyone would notice unless you really listen for it with the windows up and AC off.

As for the clunk; he seems to think it is the 3rd link. He checked all the rear suspension and bolts. He is probably right. I might have to pull it out and inspect the bushing.

I will add that I hate the service writers there. The guy working there Saturday refused to talk to me after I asked if he was Jim (my assigned tech writer). I kid you not. My friend that was with me had to do all the talking for me. He kept saying, "I'll talk to him as he seems like an alright guy." It was funny the first couple of times, but then got rediculous. I only lost my temper for a few seconds so I didn't start any crap. What an a$$hole. I have been in the service industry for 20 years and have had to deal with customers with atitudes, but I was getting the attitude AS the customer! I came in there with a smile and was very friendly.

The tech was in his 40's+ and seemed to be a nice guy. My friend and I still don't know if he thought that 3rd link was factory or not. He mentioned "they" as installing it, and not me. Maybe he thought it was a special edition Mustang as it has stripes. I dunno.