2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

too big and too heavy?

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/04, 11:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the interior of the Bullit, but even next to the '05 V6 it appears outdated. The Bullit has better suspension than a regular SN95 GT, but I'd still go for the '05 V6 if handling is a big factor.
Old 10/2/04, 12:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't know how weight can be debated when no one here has driven an '05 yet! Lets see when the cars come in and we get a chance to drive them. Then we can compare.
Old 10/2/04, 12:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally posted by FiaCobra@October 2, 2004, 12:04 PM
I don't know how weight can be debated when no one here has driven an '05 yet! Lets see when the cars come in and we get a chance to drive them. Then we can compare.
There's actaully several people on this forum who've had the chance to drive an '05.
Old 10/2/04, 01:36 PM

wow, thanks alot to everyone for the input. i posted this yesterday int he middle of the night and you guys have been killin it with great suggestions and views. thanks.

handling IS a pretty big factor for me, but then again, im no race car driver, i just want something that would be fun to flogg around the track and the hills every now and then, but also keep me satisfied in the aestetics department. ive been a huge mustang fan since i was 12, and the thought of me possibly owning one now is a dream come true. of course i would take a '69 boss 429 or 302 over the '05 anyday... but thats a bit far fetched
Old 10/2/04, 04:51 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want a light, nimble car, go buy a Mazda Miata, Honda S2000 or something like that. That's not what the Mustang is about.

The handling and feel of the 2005 Mustang will be far better than a 2001 Bullitt.

1. 53/47% F/R weight balance instead of 57/43%
2. 31% stiffer unibody
3. Proper McPhearson strut coil over front suspension with roll center in the proper place.
4. 3 link + panhard bar rear suspension with proper roll center instead of the 4 link mess the old ones have.

Read the reviews (many posted). They all say handling of the '05 is night and day difference over the older Mustangs. M/T said that the '05 GT posted the fastest slalom time of ANY Mustang they EVER tested except for the race ready 2000 Cobra R.

I hate to tell you this, but besides being faster in the 1/4 mile, the 2005 Mustang GT will run circles around a 1969 - 1970 Boss 302.
Old 10/2/04, 04:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Tone+October 2, 2004, 10:59 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Tone @ October 2, 2004, 10:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dr Iven@October 2, 2004, 2:35 AM
Longer wheelbase = better handling.

My understanding is a longer wheelbase makes the car more stable, but less willing to rotate. That's great for high speed handling, but can in fact make the car less responsive on sharper, low speed corners. The Lotus Elise or the Mazda Miata have relatively short wheelbases and handle very well in those kinds of situations.

A longer wheelbase within a a same size car can greatly increase interior room. I believe this was likely the main motivation behind the wheelbase increase on the Stang.

However, the 2005 model has much improved weight distribution and suspension geometry and should easily outhandle the previous model. Motor Trend got 66 mph in their slalom for the GT, faster than any other Mustang tested outside of the Cobra R. [/b][/quote]
You run past them in the straights and block them in the corners. The little car looses its optimum rpm range and you cleanly pull away.
Old 10/2/04, 05:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by young stang@October 2, 2004, 1:39 PM
wow, thanks alot to everyone for the input. i posted this yesterday int he middle of the night and you guys have been killin it with great suggestions and views. thanks.

handling IS a pretty big factor for me, but then again, im no race car driver, i just want something that would be fun to flogg around the track and the hills every now and then, but also keep me satisfied in the aestetics department. ive been a huge mustang fan since i was 12, and the thought of me possibly owning one now is a dream come true. of course i would take a '69 boss 429 or 302 over the '05 anyday... but thats a bit far fetched
Young Stang you'll be to proud going down the highway in a pony!
Old 10/2/04, 05:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TomServo92+October 2, 2004, 12:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomServo92 @ October 2, 2004, 12:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FiaCobra@October 2, 2004, 12:04 PM
There's actaully several people on this forum who've had the chance to drive an '05. [/b][/quote]
Then why not let those people respond? I didn't see one person in this thread say: "I drove an '05 and agree/disagree it's too big/heavy"

The rest of us are just speculating.

**not meant as a flame**
Old 10/2/04, 06:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by FiaCobra+October 2, 2004, 5:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FiaCobra @ October 2, 2004, 5:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TomServo92@October 2, 2004, 12:33 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-FiaCobra
@October 2, 2004, 12:04 PM

There's actaully several people on this forum who've had the chance to drive an '05.
Then why not let those people respond? I didn't see one person in this thread say: "I drove an '05 and agree/disagree it's too big/heavy"

The rest of us are just speculating.

**not meant as a flame** [/b][/quote]
I don't see anyone stopping anyone from posting. I can't make anyone reply either. What exactly is your point? :scratch:
Old 10/2/04, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I drive an 03 Cobra as my daily driver. I have drove the 05 mustang twice and rode with a professional driver through the same course twice. I can tell you definatly!!! this car smokes all the rest. Yes I love my Cobra, but if I had to chose between the 05 and it ..... I would get the 05 with no second thoughts.

This car does not feel heavy, It slices through a road course like a hot knife through butter. Don't take my word for it there are many others here that have drove the car also
Old 10/2/04, 07:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by cyoda44@October 2, 2004, 6:56 PM
I drive an 03 Cobra as my daily driver. I have drove the 05 mustang twice and rode with a professional driver through the same course twice. I can tell you definatly!!! this car smokes all the rest. Yes I love my Cobra, but if I had to chose between the 05 and it ..... I would get the 05 with no second thoughts.

This car does not feel heavy, It slices through a road course like a hot knife through butter. Don't take my word for it there are many others here that have drove the car also
FiaCobra...here's your one person who's driven the '05. Satisfied?
Old 10/2/04, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TomServo92+October 2, 2004, 7:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomServo92 @ October 2, 2004, 7:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-cyoda44@October 2, 2004, 6:56 PM

FiaCobra...here's your one person who's driven the '05. Satisfied?[/b][/quote]
Why must you be an a** ?

In any event, it's nice to finally hear from someone who has something to base their thoughts on instead of just speculating. Thanks cyoda44 for your comparison.
Old 10/2/04, 07:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by FiaCobra@October 2, 2004, 7:22 PM
Why must you be an a** ?
Because you insinuated that I was either lying or was somehow preventing someone from posting their evaluation of the '05. If you post sarcastic replies to someone (as you did), then don't whine when someone posts a sarcastic reply back to you. At any rate, I've said all I'm going to say since I don't care to continue the flame war you started.
Old 10/2/04, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TomServo92+October 2, 2004, 7:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomServo92 @ October 2, 2004, 7:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-FiaCobra@October 2, 2004, 7:22 PM
Why must you be an a** ?
Because you insinuated that I was either lying or was somehow preventing someone from posting their evaluation of the '05. If you post sarcastic replies to someone (as you did), then don't whine when someone posts a sarcastic reply back to you. At any rate, I've said all I'm going to say since I don't care to continue the flame war you started.[/b][/quote]
You are definately lacking in the cerebral area. Perhaps you should re-read the entire thread and you'll see the part where i stated "**not meant as a flame**".

I don't know how my postings could insinuate that you're a liar. I'm sorry they apparently did though. All i was TRYING to say was: Lets hear from people who've driven both cars and then we could make our assumptions from that.

I'm in agreement with you on one thing though, i'm not going to continue either...........with the flame war you started.

Have a nice day. B)
Old 10/2/04, 07:58 PM
I'm people, and I like.

both of yous, just stay quiet :nono:
its not worth making a big scence on the 2005 mustang thread.
take it to the off-topic forum. we like to see a good fight there ^_^
Old 10/2/04, 08:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by FiaCobra@October 2, 2004, 7:49 PM
You are definately lacking in the cerebral area. Perhaps you should re-read the entire thread and you'll see the part where i stated "**not meant as a flame**".

I don't know how my postings could insinuate that you're a liar. I'm sorry they apparently did though. All i was TRYING to say was: Lets hear from people who've driven both cars and then we could make our assumptions from that.

I'm in agreement with you on one thing though, i'm not going to continue either...........with the flame war you started.

Have a nice day. B)
Final reply then I'm absolutely done with this.

The fact that you added the disclaimer "not meant as a flame" clearly indicates you knew EXACTLY the type of response you'd elicit. Don't even talk to me about lacking in the cerebral area. I'm not the one who resorted to childish name-calling. :notnice:

Perhaps it was a misunderstading so if you care to reply to this, then PM me. I'm certain everyone else doesn't care read it anymore (I know I don't but I'll listen to what you have to say anyway).
Old 10/2/04, 08:03 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by V10@October 2, 2004, 3:54 PM
I hate to tell you this, but besides being faster in the 1/4 mile, the 2005 Mustang GT will run circles around a 1969 - 1970 Boss 302.
ah, it may run circles, even pretzels around the 302, but which one has the more amazing looks? which one will people be oooing and aaaaing over more? which one will make childhood dreams come true?
it's all up to the person's opinion, but i would chose the 302 also
Old 10/2/04, 08:06 PM
I'm people, and I like.

wow, a 2001 bullitt or a 2005 V6?
there are a lot of difficult decisions people are going to have to make this next few years.
I love the bullitt to death, i would go with the bullitt, only if its in Dark Highland Green. but then again, Ford may make a Bullitt on the new body, and it will make the 2001 bullitt pretty outdated.
wow, this is a hard choice
Old 10/2/04, 08:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by thezeppelin8+October 2, 2004, 8:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (thezeppelin8 @ October 2, 2004, 8:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-V10@October 2, 2004, 3:54 PM
ah, it may run circles, even pretzels around the 302, but which one has the more amazing looks? which one will people be oooing and aaaaing over more? which one will make childhood dreams come true?
it's all up to the person's opinion, but i would chose the 302 also [/b][/quote]
I'm with you. If someone offered me a choice of an '05 GT or a Boss 302....well, I think you know what choice I'd make.

That being said, I also agree the '05 will run circles around the Boss. It ought to considering there's been 30+ years of automotive advancement.
Old 10/2/04, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TomServo92+October 2, 2004, 8:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomServo92 @ October 2, 2004, 8:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FiaCobra@October 2, 2004, 7:49 PM

Have a nice day. B)
Final reply then I'm absolutely done with this.

The fact that you added the disclaimer "not meant as a flame" clearly indicates you knew EXACTLY the type of response you'd elicit. Don't even talk to me about lacking in the cerebral area. I'm not the one who resorted to childish name-calling. :notnice:

Perhaps it was a misunderstading so if you care to reply to this, then PM me. I'm certain everyone else doesn't care read it anymore (I know I don't but I'll listen to what you have to say anyway). [/b][/quote]
There's no need for me to PM you, it's fruitless. I've stated my point and i'll stand pat. Question is: Are you sure you're done with this ??

In any event, have a nice day.

Quick Reply: too big and too heavy?