2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Tire blew last night

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/10, 08:38 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tire blew last night

Last night my boyfriend took me to see Star Wars in Concert(it was badass!). When we got back to the car I had a low tpms, so we were going to stop at a gas station closer to the east side of town to put some air. I hit the highway and about three minutes later I just feel the rear end of the car get a bit lower, and suddenly the worst sound of scraping metal can be heard. So I pull over to the shoulder, throw on the hazards and we get out. I found this.

Luckily, the rear tire blew instead of the front. And also luckily, the highway section I was on didn't have many people, so I was able to get over to the side quickly. I had the car flat-bedded after the donut was put on. Today it goes up in the air for damage assessment and I will be calling my insurance agent soon after. As uneventful as it was(it was over in 30 seconds), I doubt there's going to be much damage, if any. I will, however, be sourcing a new wheel. I refuse to use it, whether or not it can be repaired. I will probably also get new tires since these are a bit worn. I don't blame anything/anyone for it, i'm just glad my boyfriend and I are okay(he was riding passenger) and nobody else got hurt.
Old 5/26/10, 09:20 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad you're ok. Much worse things have happened with blowouts on the highway.
Old 5/26/10, 10:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Crazy! Glad you guys are okay, and so looks the wheel.

It's a good time to remind everyone to check their tire pressure, can't go by the look of the sidewall!
Old 5/26/10, 11:00 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

I'll be pulling the wheel out of my trunk in a bit to examine and see if its scraped up/cracked/whatever. Out of curiosity I called my Ford dealer. $895 plus tax for an 18" polished with tpms and tpms band, AND core trade.
Old 5/26/10, 11:02 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
It's a good time to remind everyone to check their tire pressure, can't go by the look of the sidewall!
Isn't that the truth! I had a front go on me last year. It just went flat while driving and I could feel the car start to handle corners differently. Going straight, it really didn't feel any different than normal and wasn't even pulling (I was surprised by that). When I got to the store I was heading to, I expected to find a tire that was low, not completely flat. Thankfully, the sidewalls on these tires are stiff enough to provide a lot more control than you would expect on a flat tire.

But don't push it!
Old 5/26/10, 12:06 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Crazy! Glad you guys are okay, and so looks the wheel.

At what pressure do you normally keep your tires at? With the stock 235s 18s, I have been keeping it at 35psi but have noticed the dealer once shot it up to 40 which seemed waaaay too high in my book.

BTW, Antigini, I'm glad you are ok!! Like everyone said, could have been worse.
Old 5/26/10, 03:51 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me about 2 years ago the day after thanksgiving. I was doing about 85 mhp on the highway. How do you feel the car did with the blowout? I have been in little eco boxes with friends when they lost a tire and it felt scary as hell. When I lost my tire I though "hmmmm what was that" and drove on for about a miles to the off ramp. I was very well mannered.

Old 5/26/10, 04:23 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Oh the car felt fine. It was more like...hm, that feels a bit different. It was over in seconds, and the car maneuvered beautifully off of the road. Again, if it were the front tire it would have been different, so I count myself lucky. I'm just going to go ahead and get a new set of tires(Toyo Proxy 4's). I've examined the wheel, and earlier I thought there was going to be something, but it looks perfectly fine. I'm amazed. I love this car.
Old 5/26/10, 10:12 PM

Geez...well, after looking at the pics of the tire it definitely seemed a lot worse than it actually was. Glad both of you are ok!
Old 5/26/10, 10:35 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

So other than discovering I have a very very slow leak coming from my differential somewhere, everything is fine under the car. Now I just need to fix that leak!
Old 5/26/10, 10:41 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Glad to hear that you're okay! blowouts can be scary as hell!
Old 5/27/10, 11:11 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
Luckily, the rear tire blew instead of the front.
Actually its the worst tire position to have a failure on, you can only react to a failure on the rear rather than actively controlling it (beyond hitting the brakes).
Old 5/27/10, 11:13 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by lutador83
At what pressure do you normally keep your tires at? With the stock 235s 18s, I have been keeping it at 35psi but have noticed the dealer once shot it up to 40 which seemed waaaay too high in my book.
Its been awhile since I've had my GT, but IIRC the stock pressure for the 18's was 30 psi?
Old 5/27/10, 11:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
I'll be pulling the wheel out of my trunk in a bit to examine and see if its scraped up/cracked/whatever. Out of curiosity I called my Ford dealer. $895 plus tax for an 18" polished with tpms and tpms band, AND core trade.
good lord! for an 18" polished bullitt? thats crazy and real close to the price my dad payed to have 1 of the wheels on his Harley Davidson F150 replaced. you could use the damaged wheel as a spare instead of the donut. my dad did that with a spare 22" he had that was damaged before.
Old 5/27/10, 11:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

For that price you can buy a new set of take-offs and thats all 4 and not just 1. You would need to get the TPMS sensor but i doubt that counts for almost $700
Old 5/27/10, 11:55 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Glad you're ok!
Old 5/28/10, 11:23 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
For that price you can buy a new set of take-offs and thats all 4 and not just 1. You would need to get the TPMS sensor but i doubt that counts for almost $700

If the wheels have sensors, you just have to train the system. The little key fob thing they sell with the Big Ford trucks will do the trick.
Old 5/29/10, 09:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Is this the same wheel as yours?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...Q5fAccessories

$255
Old 5/30/10, 09:22 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Well, they don't call them stealerships for nothing! I knew the wheel through a dealer would be ridiculous, I just wanted to know how ridiculous.

Anyway, the wheel was inspected and its perfectly fine. I'm rather amazed and proud suddenly of my car. This could have ended so much worse and I think short of the inconvenience, the situation ended as well as it could have. Yesterday I had some Toyo Proxes 4's thrown on the car. I was coming up to a tire change anyway, so I figured to just go ahead and get a whole new set. As for damage, we didn't find anything when we got the car up in the air. However, apparently i've got a reaaaaaaally slow leak coming from my differential somewhere, so that'll have to get figured out soon. Maybe then I can install the springs and the panhard. We'll see!

Last edited by Antigini-GT/CS; 5/30/10 at 09:36 AM.
Old 5/30/10, 10:39 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I happen to have a set of 18 inch polished shelby gt rims with bfg tires. 8800 miles on them. they are on an 08 so im sure they have the sensors also.

Last edited by Flagstang; 5/30/10 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Tire blew last night