2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Tips on ordering a mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/04, 08:35 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I want to get a V6 manual with 18G or 18R. I know I could ask a dealer *how* to go about ordering one, but Im curious if its going to result in paying more than just waiting?

Heres the thing, Im trading in my 03 black Cobra for one of these (yes my mind is made up on this). So how does the ordering process work? You just put down a deposit and then you can retract your offer at any time?? My concern with a trade is that I'll get a worse deal when I pick up the car bc the dealer will know they have me already and will try to give me even less for my trade than they already would. Luckily, at least they arent trying that "Market Adjustment" crap around central Illinois so far.

Basically, anyone have any tips or comments on ordering a new mustang?
Thanks!
Old 11/12/04, 08:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Im trading in my 03 black Cobra for one of these (yes my mind is made up on this).
Your crazy to not wait for the possible 07 in 06.

Old 11/12/04, 09:12 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get EVERYTHING in writing...

I don't want to see a horror story thread from you in a few months :nono:
Old 11/12/04, 09:14 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dealer took my order and didn't require a deposit, his thought was, if I back out, someone else will buy it.
Old 11/12/04, 09:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by holderca1@November 12, 2004, 8:17 AM
My dealer took my order and didn't require a deposit, his thought was, if I back out, someone else will buy it.
This is same as my dealer terms. No obligation/No money down, but right of first refusal. Having a name associated with any order brings more of a 'hot commodity' car onto their lot over normal allocation......
Old 11/12/04, 09:24 AM
GT Member

Find out what their current allocation is, how many orders are ahead of yours, and when they expect your order to be pulled (assuming not part shortages) FIRST. Don't accept none of that "it takes about 6 weeks" crap like I did. Waiting isn't as bad if you have an realistic idea of what's going on and when it (should be) happening.
Old 11/12/04, 09:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

DA75,
We all have to decide what is right for us and I won't attempt to second guess your decision. That being said, are you really sure about your decision? Going from about 400hp to about 200hp is going to be a heck of a change. Are you sure you won't be sorry after the "newness" of the '05 wears off?

The Boss Hog
Old 11/12/04, 09:51 AM
V6 Member

TheBossHog and ItsNotABullitt,

Finances. Finances. Finances.

I wont give you my life story, but after owning a 78 vette, 2 Mustang GTs, and 03 Cobra a painful realization has set in concerning how much money Ive devoted to cars over the years. I think I can do it for three reasons..

1. the hp is roughly equal to the 97 GT. Thats pretty impressive for a 6.
2. the car looks cool. I wouldnt buy a car for female opinion, but they actually do comment on the new mustangs positively. Majority of women could give a rats hiney about cars normally. And while its cool to have a dude say "nice car", Id rather have that from a female. And they DO notice the new ones. B)
3. Payment, insurance, gas. (this is the real reason)

So- an easy decision? No. A good decision? I hope so.
Oh yeah, I can always buy a supercharger.
Old 11/12/04, 09:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

da75...

Just don't trade it in. Sell it yourself.
Old 11/12/04, 10:39 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by da75@November 12, 2004, 9:38 AM
I want to get a V6 manual with 18G or 18R. I know I could ask a dealer *how* to go about ordering one, but Im curious if its going to result in paying more than just waiting?

Heres the thing, Im trading in my 03 black Cobra for one of these (yes my mind is made up on this). So how does the ordering process work? You just put down a deposit and then you can retract your offer at any time?? My concern with a trade is that I'll get a worse deal when I pick up the car bc the dealer will know they have me already and will try to give me even less for my trade than they already would. Luckily, at least they arent trying that "Market Adjustment" crap around central Illinois so far.

Thanks!
Why are you even ordering a car?

Why don't you just wait for new Mustangs to start arriving on dealers parking lots? Then you can make a deal, and you don't have to worry what dealer might do to you.

I would never order a car without test driving it first and without seeing car in person.
Old 11/12/04, 10:57 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Red Star+November 12, 2004, 1:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Red Star @ November 12, 2004, 1:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-da75@November 12, 2004, 9:38 AM

Thanks!
Why are you even ordering a car?

Why don't you just wait for new Mustangs to start arriving on dealers parking lots? Then you can make a deal, and you don't have to worry what dealer might do to you.

I would never order a car without test driving it first and without seeing car in person. [/b][/quote]
Because when you order you can get exactly what you want.
Old 11/12/04, 10:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should sell the cobra privately. Run an add in the paper and wait for respones. You will get a better price if you sell it yourself than sell it to a car lot.

As for ordering a new stang, download the price list from this site along with the order guide. Circle what you want from the guide and give it to the salesman. For a pre-order stang a deposit is usually required. I gave my rep a $2000.00 deposit. If you come into the dealership for more knowledge than the sales staff they tend to realize that your not fooling around and that your serioius. Knowledge is power.
Old 11/12/04, 11:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Red Star,

Why order? Are you kidding? a whole butt load of us have pre-ordered. what do you think most of the discussion here is about? When you pre-order you can order the exact car you want and not have to try and find one in a lot or possibly settle for one without a specific option.
Old 11/12/04, 11:42 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by ace0215@November 12, 2004, 12:11 PM
Red Star,

Why order? Are you kidding? a whole butt load of us have pre-ordered. what do you think most of the discussion here is about? When you pre-order you can order the exact car you want and not have to try and find one in a lot or possibly settle for one without a specific option.
Yeah, and you have to wait few months for a car to arrive.

No thanks.

Sometimes you don't know what you like unless you see it IN PERSON.
Old 11/12/04, 12:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

and just because i pre-ordered does not mean i have to buy the car once it comes in if i don't like it. and as far as waiting a few months for car to arrive...i'll get mine delivered on monday. That's way before the majority of people are able to just buy one off the lot. Especially for the price i am getting
Old 11/12/04, 12:15 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
If you like to order agree on a set price above invoice and put it in writing, but your best bet is to wait.
Old 11/12/04, 12:38 PM
V6 Member

Thanks guys for the input.

RedStar- I agree with you, but it means shopping around alot for exact color etc. Plus a lot of driving around all over the state looking at dealerships versus just saying 'here is what i want, order it for me.'

I think my central question got answered tho which was that I dont have to cut a deal with the dealership at the time they order the car for me.
I could still come in after they get it and act like I dont know if I want it, just to try to get better trade in, and not be required to take posession of the new one just bc I had them order it.

One thing about trading down that minimizes the cost difference- If a new car costs say 10 and your trade in is valued at 15, you dont pay any sales tax in Illinois. $0 is alot better than 6.25% on a 21,000 car. It doesnt make up the entire difference I agree, but that plus the no hassle, no borrowing a car until you get a new one, no advertising, no waiting, no 19yo's trying to convince you they REALLY are serious - that all helps to even it out.

Thanks again guys.
Old 11/12/04, 12:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by da75@November 12, 2004, 1:41 PM
I think my central question got answered tho which was that I dont have to cut a deal with the dealership at the time they order the car for me.
I could still come in after they get it and act like I dont know if I want it, just to try to get better trade in, and not be required to take posession of the new one just bc I had them order it.
You had better do things the other way around. There is a much better chance that once it arrives, the price will go up. I would want the pricing locked in before the car arrives.
Old 11/12/04, 01:14 PM
FR500 Member

You are going to trade in an '03 Cobra for an '05 V6? Talk about downsizing. You already have a real nice car. I would hold off until '06 or '07 and trade your Cobra in for a brand new Cobra.
Old 11/12/04, 01:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by acadian@November 12, 2004, 2:17 PM
You are going to trade in an '03 Cobra for an '05 V6? Talk about downsizing. You already have a real nice car. I would hold off until '06 or '07 and trade your Cobra in for a brand new Cobra.
he already said it was for financial reasons

Quick Reply: Tips on ordering a mustang?