2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Time for Change: Going to sell my Mustang in a week and a half.

Search this Thread

Old 3/12/12, 11:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
Time for Change: Going to sell my Mustang in a week and a half.

This is not a sale post:

I never thought this day would come. But, over the last month, my enthusiasm and fanaticism for Mustangs has dwindled. Living in Colorado, my Mustang is my daily driver and I have had my share of hairy experiences in the winter with her. It is time for me to sell my beloved Mustang. I have been a fan of them for 20 years. I almost feel like there is something wrong with me. Can your long time passion just go away?
Interestingly enough, I got my Mustang (my first one ever mind you), March 27, 2007). If I sell it when I want to, I will have had it pretty much 5 years to the week!
Old 3/12/12, 12:25 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two words - Bridgestone Blizzak (or similar tires).

I am in northern Ohio and I used to dread even when an inch of snow fell (Good Year Gatorbacks sucked in snow), but many years ago I got a set of these winter/ice tires (all four tires, not just rears) for my '90 5.0 Mustang and I have NEVER gotten stuck since - even when we have gotten a foot of snow. I would venture to say that it has actually made winter driving fun sometimes.
Old 3/13/12, 01:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 89FivePointOhLX
Two words - Bridgestone Blizzak (or similar tires).

I am in northern Ohio and I used to dread even when an inch of snow fell (Good Year Gatorbacks sucked in snow), but many years ago I got a set of these winter/ice tires (all four tires, not just rears) for my '90 5.0 Mustang and I have NEVER gotten stuck since - even when we have gotten a foot of snow. I would venture to say that it has actually made winter driving fun sometimes.
I have a set of Michelin X-Ices and 120 lbs of sand I use in the winter. But, I need more practicality.
Old 3/13/12, 02:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
good luck with the sale. What do you have your eyes on?
Old 3/13/12, 03:02 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I have been where you are 5 times now. You WILL REGRET IT!!!
Buy a daily driver. Nothing expensive or really nice. Then the joy will come back when you do actually drive your stang. I've been down that road and regret selling every one of them.
Old 3/13/12, 04:30 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Buy a daily driver. Nothing expensive or really nice. Then the joy will come back when you do actually drive your stang. I've been down that road and regret selling every one of them.
+1
I limp around all winter in a 2000 marquis (not a bad car really) and when the salts gone the mustang comes out. after not driving it a while especially, its still as fun as the day I got the keys 6 yrs ago. everyone I know that sold their fun car regretted it eventually, but too, none of them last forever.

I hope to wear mine out so bad it falls apart before parting with it

then I got a replacement waiting in the wings already, a still undriven 09 just like it...
Old 3/13/12, 06:14 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Two words -
Winter beater.
Old 3/13/12, 06:40 PM
V6 Member

I live in Michigan, so I park my '05 for about 5 months a year during winter. My winter ride is an 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4...pulling the Stang out each Spring is like getting a new car! By Fall I start losing interest again, but it gets parked for such a long time, I can't wait to get it out again. Sorry to ramble, but I think you'll miss it once it's gone!
Old 3/13/12, 07:49 PM

I agree. You'll regret it! I've been down that road too, and almost did it again with my '06 GT, but my wife talked me out of it twice, and I'm glad she did!

I have a Focus for my daily 70 mile round trip commute, and especially for the winter months. In the good weather I mix it up between both cars, works out well. Good luck with your decision, but really think it over first.
Old 3/13/12, 08:28 PM
V6 Member

I agree with those that advise you to think it over before you let your pony go. I am a vert fan, I have owned 4 of them, and I would buy them and drive them for awhile and think I had them out of my system and sell them off for something more practical. After about 2 years when the smart guys that kept their verts started pulling them out in the spring to play with, I would be standing there kicking myself in the *** while they drove by and waved. Not ever again! I got my last vert and bought a winter weather beater to keep safe in winter and protect my stang vert from the perils of winter. Keep in mind that if you let your pony go, and at a later date change your mind, they don't get any cheaper to buy the next time you get the bug. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Old 3/13/12, 08:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I don't have the financial means to have insurance on two cars. Plus, like I mentioned, I'm losing my enthusiasm for Mustangs. Plus, I'm not one who stores a Mustang in the winter because of salt. I drive it year round in Colorado.

Last edited by unnoticedtrails; 3/13/12 at 08:42 PM.
Old 3/14/12, 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
+1
I limp around all winter in a 2000 marquis (not a bad car really) and when the salts gone the mustang comes out. after not driving it a while especially, its still as fun as the day I got the keys 6 yrs ago. everyone I know that sold their fun car regretted it eventually, but too, none of them last forever.

I hope to wear mine out so bad it falls apart before parting with it

then I got a replacement waiting in the wings already, a still undriven 09 just like it...
It seems that you have made your decision and it is probably the best solution for you. I just wanted to chime in and say that the above posters speak the truth. My brother had a 2000 GT and had to trade it in not too long ago because of continuing issues. He bought a 4 cyl. 4 door Accord to save on gas as he was driving a lot and now he is right back looking at a car that is more fun to drive (Genesis, Altima and Accord V6 coupes).

I love that you have one sitting there waiting for you. I wish I could have that type of resources (and space) to have one laying around.

Last edited by jadedpony; 3/14/12 at 10:24 AM.
Old 3/15/12, 12:48 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jadedpony
...and now he is right back looking at a car that is more fun to drive (Genesis, Altima and Accord V6 coupes).
I hate to admit it, but that hyundai genesis is a nice car- looks wise its weird to me, and I still have a 'thing' about foreign cars...but now that hyundai is building stuff here, all they need to do is put a cool looking body on it and camaro/mustang/challenger sales will be in trouble.

next time you see a hyundai, like it or not, take a look at the panel seams in the trunk/hatch and door edge hem crimps... they look better than the exterior body finish than most US cars, look at a gm/ford its kinda embarassing... a guy at work just bought a elantra, another buddy got a hummer- I told the hummer guy to go look at the seams on the hyundai, then open his door and look at the hummer- he actually got kinda upset, had never paid attention to it before. I dont like them for no good reason, but they are pretty well assembled at a minimum.

back on track, hope things workout ok for anyone wanting to part with their pony... and hope if time/situation/feelings change, a second chance will arise... If I lost all mine tomorrow, or had to let it go, I'd still say I feel like the luckiest guy in the world for having my 'dream car' for the 6 years that I did. I got rid of a couple cars in the past, a 69 camaro, a 71 elcamino, a 85 camaro(my first new car), few others, and it always seemed 6 months later things changed and I regretted it- still do, but time marches on...

Last edited by ford4v429; 3/15/12 at 12:50 PM.
Old 3/15/12, 01:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to admit it, but that hyundai genesis is a nice car- looks wise its weird to me, and I still have a 'thing' about foreign cars...but now that hyundai is building stuff here, all they need to do is put a cool looking body on it and camaro/mustang/challenger sales will be in trouble.

next time you see a hyundai, like it or not, take a look at the panel seams in the trunk/hatch and door edge hem crimps... they look better than the exterior body finish than most US cars, look at a gm/ford its kinda embarassing... a guy at work just bought a elantra, another buddy got a hummer- I told the hummer guy to go look at the seams on the hyundai, then open his door and look at the hummer- he actually got kinda upset, had never paid attention to it before. I dont like them for no good reason, but they are pretty well assembled at a minimum.

back on track, hope things workout ok for anyone wanting to part with their pony... and hope if time/situation/feelings change, a second chance will arise... If I lost all mine tomorrow, or had to let it go, I'd still say I feel like the luckiest guy in the world for having my 'dream car' for the 6 years that I did. I got rid of a couple cars in the past, a 69 camaro, a 71 elcamino, a 85 camaro(my first new car), few others, and it always seemed 6 months later things changed and I regretted it- still do, but time marches on...
I never heard anyone say anything good about a Hyundai they have owned for more then 2 yrs. I always hear issues about long term quality and the loop holes in that 10yr warranty that Hyundai likes to shove up your tail pipe. Hate then look of the Genesis coup, way too many lines, looks like some kind of Hot Wheels prototype.

*back on topic*
Not sure if you have completely made up your mind but I would give this some more thought, you will miss the car after 3 months of nice weather. If you buy a beater car for a couple of thousand and only put collision insurance on it that might make it more affordable for you. Still I don't know your situation but thats what I am looking to do here in NJ.
Old 3/15/12, 06:05 PM
GT Member

Liability insurance on the beater, not collision. Might even get a multi-car discount.

Don't think I could ever part with my Mustang, love it too much.
Old 3/15/12, 06:12 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Two words -
Man up!!

Old 3/15/12, 06:16 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by unnoticedtrails
This is not a sale post:

I never thought this day would come. But, over the last month, my enthusiasm and fanaticism for Mustangs has dwindled. Living in Colorado, my Mustang is my daily driver and I have had my share of hairy experiences in the winter with her. It is time for me to sell my beloved Mustang. I have been a fan of them for 20 years. I almost feel like there is something wrong with me. Can your long time passion just go away?
Interestingly enough, I got my Mustang (my first one ever mind you), March 27, 2007). If I sell it when I want to, I will have had it pretty much 5 years to the week!
if it was auto I would trade you my snow beast.

FYI the new fiesta gets amazing mpg and kicks but in the snow.

Old 3/15/12, 06:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
Man up!!

Nice pics. I have similar pics of my car in the situation as well. I have driven her through five winters and survived. I'm not saying that Winter scares me or anything. I just want more practicality (i.e four doors) and four wheel drive wouldn't hurt. I have had a good time in my Mustang. I will miss her, there is no denying that. But, it is time for me to move on. As many of you state, you went back to Mustangs later on and so can I. I have spent the last five years with a job that never paid well and now I am looking to move on with that as well. As funds get better for me, a Mustang could be back in my future as well. Thank you all for the thoughts and advice. Truly.
Old 3/15/12, 06:50 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

if you are looking for a awd four door I would suggest looking into a ford five hundred awd limited. you can pick them up loaded for less then 12k now. mine always out did the jeeps and trucks in the weather and it did it with heated seats and a nav.

Old 3/15/12, 09:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Your car is 5yrs old...paid for.

Get a WRX. Turbo, four doors, all-wheel drive...Colorado winter car.

I have both and can't wait until April 1st. The day I took delivery of my car in 2006 is the same day I take it out every season. Just like the first day every time!

Quick Reply: Time for Change: Going to sell my Mustang in a week and a half.