2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Throttle response...have you experienced it?

Search this Thread

Old 12/16/04, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had my Gt 5sp manual for 2 days now and I have to say it is one heck of a sweet ride However, I don't like the throttle when decelerating. If you floor it up to, say, 3000 RPM in any gear and back off the throttle, the engine still coasts as if the throttle is not all the way closed. I stays like that for about 5 seconds. I have found that if you floor it and then hit the brakes (not hard or anything crazy) the brakes are not only stopping the car but fighting the engine as well. Am I the only one with this?

I was not too happy with the gear noise in the transmission, but after a couple days getting used to the throttle-by-wire it is better. Any comments on this topic would be helpfull. I am hoping that re-programming the computer with one of those handheld units from Superchips or similar companies will solve the problem. I don't think anything is out there yet, but soon I am sure.

I have to just add that this is the BEST Christmas present to myself ever!!!
Old 12/16/04, 03:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a great present isn't it . I have not had this problem. I've gotten used to the gear whine as well. If they come out with a recall that addresses the whine great, but I could really care less. Need to update your profile though!

Jason
Old 12/16/04, 04:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by cop on my back@December 16, 2004, 4:03 PM
... If you floor it up to, say, 3000 RPM in any gear and back off the throttle, the engine still coasts as if the throttle is not all the way closed. I stays like that for about 5 seconds. I have found that if you floor it and then hit the brakes (not hard or anything crazy) the brakes are not only stopping the car but fighting the engine as well. Am I the only one with this?...
I haver an auto, but that same thing happens to me, maybe there is a setting during the tune that will help, I will find out saturday,
Old 12/16/04, 04:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I noticed the same thing while testing one GT, but not another. The one that did not do it had been driven more. Maybe that matters? I have also heard the engine revs more before settling down to burn off 'waste' gas, thus reducing emissions?
Old 12/16/04, 04:25 PM
V6 Member

I believe what you are experiencing is torque and new greased wheel bearings. One way to tell is to watch the Tach. What is the tach doing? If it is staying steady while your foot is off the gas it is messing up but if the rpms drop you are just experiencing the awesome torque at low rpms. my 1998 Lincoln Town car does the same thing.
Old 12/16/04, 04:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by James4litre@December 16, 2004, 5:28 PM
I believe what you are experiencing is torque and new greased wheel bearings. One way to tell is to watch the Tach. What is the tach doing? If it is staying steady while your foot is off the gas it is messing up but if the rpms drop you are just experiencing the awesome torque at low rpms. my 1998 Lincoln Town car does the same thing.
The RPM's kinda stay up. Not where it was left off, but like 1200-1800 RPMs.
Old 12/16/04, 04:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

What you are experiencing is called "Throttle Hang". Almost every car has it nowadays. It has to do with emissions. Transient emissions (when the engine is winding down) are very hard to control. Apparently, hanging the throttle, fixes this. Usually, you can fab up a restrictor (a copper tubing top with a hole drilled in it works great), and in-line it with your Idle Air Control valve. This (in my car anyway), is a standard mod, and does the job.
Old 12/16/04, 05:08 PM
GT Member

I have had my Gt 5sp manual for 2 days now and I have to say it is one heck of a sweet ride However, I don't like the throttle when decelerating. If you floor it up to, say, 3000 RPM in any gear and back off the throttle, the engine still coasts as if the throttle is not all the way closed. I stays like that for about 5 seconds. I have found that if you floor it and then hit the brakes (not hard or anything crazy) the brakes are not only stopping the car but fighting the engine as well. Am I the only one with this?

I was not too happy with the gear noise in the transmission, but after a couple days getting used to the throttle-by-wire it is better. Any comments on this topic would be helpfull. I am hoping that re-programming the computer with one of those handheld units from Superchips or similar companies will solve the problem. I don't think anything is out there yet, but soon I am sure.

Mine does it also. It bothers me because it feels like something is wrong...that being said, my old 85 911 carrera would drop to 600rpm instintly when shifting between gears and the engine braking during coast was unreal! Didn't really even need brakes in that thing. Funny, I always wanted my 911 to do precisely what our so-called problem is.
Old 12/16/04, 05:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well Richard..... Had the same problem with the wife's 04 mustang. Car has 4000 KM's on it. [NOT MILES] Car would not come down off 2 grand. Took it to the dealer. Service manager basically told me it was all in my head; until they took it for a test drive. The throttle control cable was gone. In my head eh! :bang:

Picked the car up, and on the way home, pulled up to a red light, pushed the clutch in, quess what? Stuck on 2 grand again. Took it back once more.... censor gone this time! Imagine..... a new car! :bang: Service manager was nowhere to be seen this time! Throttle does not stick any more, but it's late coming down off it's revs. Your right, seems like you have to wait that xtra 5 sec. or so. I'm keeping a very close eye on it. If I have any problems, I'll be back to the dealer again. Maybe someone out there has an answer to this?

As far as the gear noise, can't comment on that. What I do know is you have a new car that has warranty for 3-36. Now's the time to take it back and get it checked out. Had to take my truck back numerous times, but quess what, Now it works like a top. If your having problems, take it back to the dealer, and don't take NO for an answer. SORRY FOR THE LONG POST!
Old 12/16/04, 05:19 PM
GT Member

I think I have a smilar problem here with the gear noise. I have driven the car only 100 miles so I am not sure if the noise is because it is new or the way I am shifting,
When I go from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd the noise is more noticeable. When I go hard, as to rev up the RPM on 1st and then switch to 2nd, I do not get the noise. Its only when I shift early and try to baby the new car is when get the gear sound.
Noise is like a thud sound coming from the transmission.
Is this normal with a new stick sift?
Old 12/16/04, 05:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by SVTJayC@December 16, 2004, 5:42 PM
What you are experiencing is called "Throttle Hang". Almost every car has it nowadays. It has to do with emissions. Transient emissions (when the engine is winding down) are very hard to control. Apparently, hanging the throttle, fixes this. Usually, you can fab up a restrictor (a copper tubing top with a hole drilled in it works great), and in-line it with your Idle Air Control valve. This (in my car anyway), is a standard mod, and does the job.
Thanks SVT. I'll try that.
Old 12/16/04, 05:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

My car has a similar behavior when it decelerates. At first I really wondered what was going on, but then I read some posts out here that indicated it was normal, so I have to admit I have become used to it. I almost have come to think of it as a feature that I take advantage of. On backroads, I use it for coasting down hills, knowing that I will get my engine braking near the bottom of the hill where I need it. Pretty cool ! I do agree that if you need to stop quick that the brakes just might be fighting the engine - unless Ford has the computer doing something that I'm not aware of.
Old 12/16/04, 06:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Everyone who is having the de-accelerating problem, have you removed the Hydro Carbon Trap already ??? And those that are not having the problem have you either removed it or not.

Maybe everyone who is having the problem still has the trap in place or vice versa....

Just curious if it may be a rouge air sensor somewhere. Or maybe some cars that have been ridden hard the first 20 miles have a crazy fuel air map.

I would start to look at common factors first then work my way in toward the ECU.
Old 12/16/04, 06:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

I was just out driving, and noticed something else. Mine is a manual. When decelerating or letting off the gas, if I push in the clutch, the revs will go down alot faster than they do if I was to leave the tranny engaged. I believe that the 'coast' feature has intelligence associated with the transmission - it is not just the engine holding the rpms up.

Also - as a side note. I am so impressed with Ford's drive by wire implementation - especially when I compare it to my previous car. The 05 goes like a rocket from the moment I stomp on the gas. My old car used to think about it for 3 seconds before taking off - always giving the feeling that it was going to stall. I never got used to that behavior at all.
Old 12/16/04, 06:10 PM
Cobra R Member

That is the very first thing I noticed about mine. Slow to wind down. I learned to get off the gas sooner.
There is a lot of talk about transmission noise in the manual shift. I am wondering if they ever had a car where you sit next to the transmission rather than above it.
I am happy with my ride. I feel the car steers foo fast and I would like to see automatic headlights.
Old 12/16/04, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 2005RedGT+December 16, 2004, 6:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2005RedGT @ December 16, 2004, 6:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-cop on my back@December 16, 2004, 4:03 PM
... If you floor it up to, say, 3000 RPM in any gear and back off the throttle, the engine still coasts as if the throttle is not all the way closed. I stays like that for about 5 seconds. I have found that if you floor it and then hit the brakes (not hard or anything crazy) the brakes are not only stopping the car but fighting the engine as well. Am I the only one with this?...
I haver an auto, but that same thing happens to me, maybe there is a setting during the tune that will help, I will find out saturday, [/b][/quote]
Bryan,

That's one sweet ride! Could you possibly post some side view shots so we could get the full effect of the lowering.

SHE'S BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Old 12/16/04, 06:53 PM
Cobra Member

SCT says they can take car of all these issues with a tune and that Ford programmed the car to act this way. One of the reviewers in the 5.0 Mustangs and Fast Ford's review of the car said the wireless throttle , to sum it up. He said it acted like someone else was taking control of the car.
Old 12/16/04, 07:05 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SVTJayC@December 16, 2004, 6:42 PM
Jay, you bring up a good point.

The same thing happens in most cars, even the Mach1's. There is a quick and cheap modification on www.mach1registry.com which blocks off one of the ports on the Mach1's that gets rid of this effect.