2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Those with A Manual Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/05, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dad and I chat about cars a lot, and lately we've been on the subject of Stick shift. He says it's annoying and bothersome, I think it would be fun and well worth it. I think he finds it annoying because he drives almost ALL day! I truly enjoy driving, and therefore feel i would enjoy rowing through the gears. i know that the automatic in the '05 is no slouch but i think in a car like this manual has got to be more fun! any thoughts, sentiments, good jokes, bad jokes?

discuss!
Old 10/2/05, 06:18 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I came from an auto to a manual (my first)

I could see it being bothersome if you have to go through stop/go traffic a lot, everyday.

Other than that...no its pretty good.
Very fun...
Old 10/2/05, 06:23 PM
GT Member

I agree, in stop and go traffic it can be a pain. on the other hand there is nothing like going through the gears on a nice open road. Out of every stang i've owned only 2 out of 12 have been auto, and they both were fox bodies.

manual all the way!!!
Old 10/2/05, 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless your entire drive is in stop/go traffic I would say get the manual. I've always had manual cars, except for the few years I drove an automatic pickup, and it wasn't a hard choice on which to get on the Mustang.
Old 10/2/05, 06:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is my first manual transmission and I love it. I will say this though, if you do alot of stop and go driving (rush hour) it can be a pain.

One good thing, your left leg will be nice and strong
Old 10/2/05, 06:36 PM
I Have Admin Envy

This is my first manual car... other than a few patches of traffic when I drive it, even then I am not annoyed.

I agree with everyone, if you don't encounter heavy traffic, get the manual, it is so much fun.
Old 10/2/05, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

I drive in Houston rush hour traffic all the time and both cars that I've regularly driven have been manuals. Get a stick if you truly love driving.
Old 10/2/05, 06:50 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Manual, even if you sit in traffic for hours, LOL
Old 10/2/05, 06:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will love the manual no matter what the conditions!
Old 10/2/05, 06:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
Of the seven cars I have owned, five have had manual transmissions.

With the hydraulic assist on the S197 clutch, it is easy to handle even in stop-and-go traffic.

Except for traffic jams, you only spend a small amount of time shifting. For the most part, you are at speed in a traveling gear.

The only downside to me is at selling time. Manuals don't boost the value any when it is time to sell. But with a car like this, the buyer probably doesn't care!

You think it would be more fun, and I think you are right!
Old 10/2/05, 07:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Same as Dan and Jimmy
Seeing how you wrote that post you probably wouldn't mind either. And you are saving money for the funnest way to drive
Just be lucky for that, many of us would even pay for that privelege.

ps. You will only get tired if you ride the clutch during traffic.
Old 10/2/05, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

well i don't encounter traffic much at all, in fact i avoid it at all costs!
thanks for all the replies
Old 10/2/05, 07:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Second car, second manual and wouldnt have it any other way. Get a manual, its no pain or trouble even in traffic.
Old 10/2/05, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don't forget this is a V-8, so you don't have downshift every time you want to accelerate. You can leave the car in a certain gear longer, and even skip gears, so it's not like you just shifting constantly. You will learn how to navigate traffic without giving your left leg a workout.
Old 10/2/05, 07:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've owned 2 Mustang's, both manuals. I've owned other performance cars, all automatics. If you ask me, there is no other way to drive a performance car. Granted I've never owned an automatic Mustang, but the driving dynamics between auto and manual are just night and day. There are so many different choices with respect to gears and RPM's to match whatever mood you are in / what you are trying to accomplish. If you ask me, a manual is the only way to go.

It takes me 45 minutes to an hour each way to work and back, lot's of stop and go. I've been mad at the other drivers, but NEVER regretted my decision for the manual trans.

Sean
Old 10/2/05, 08:08 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing gets the blood moving like running through the gears in a standard first thing in the morning ,If anything a standard will keep you awake a lot better than an auto .
But like everyone says it can be a bit much in stop and go traffic,but this is your car best of luck on what you deceide.
Either way your getting a cool car
Old 10/2/05, 08:16 PM
Cobra Member

I've always driven manuals. Traffic never bothered me. Just always got used to it. What stinks is when you go to drive your wifes automatic and slam on the brakes thinking your pushing the clutch in. Ooops!
Old 10/2/05, 08:23 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want the manual then that's what you need to buy. Yes, it's crap in stop-n-go traffic... but when traffic clears you remember why you decided to get the manual.
Old 10/2/05, 08:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Budders@October 2, 2005, 6:16 PM
My dad and I chat about cars a lot, and lately we've been on the subject of Stick shift. He says it's annoying and bothersome, I think it would be fun and well worth it. I think he finds it annoying because he drives almost ALL day! I truly enjoy driving, and therefore feel i would enjoy rowing through the gears. i know that the automatic in the '05 is no slouch but i think in a car like this manual has got to be more fun! any thoughts, sentiments, good jokes, bad jokes?

discuss!
Same situation here. I went back and forth on this topic with my dad. LONG story short, he almost got me a STICK Saleen, but then we got the Auto GT. I'm happy I got an auto actually...as much as i CRAVED the 5 speed and would love it anyway, I am thankful for just dumping my right foot down and watching the scenery and girls roll by....without having to worry about the numbers 1-5.
Old 10/2/05, 08:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Route 66@October 2, 2005, 10:19 PM
I've always driven manuals. Traffic never bothered me. Just always got used to it. What stinks is when you go to drive your wifes automatic and slam on the brakes thinking your pushing the clutch in. Ooops!
hehehe i have been driving my dad`s car lately and everytime i go to start it i go to push the clutch in ...hehehehe

i would not get this car any other way.......manual all the way........

Quick Reply: Those with A Manual Tranny