2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

for those with aftermarket muffler or even stock

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/06, 12:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation for those with aftermarket muffler or even stock

well as some as you may know i have been having issues with the fuse to the fuel pump blowing out. well as brining it to the dealer and them checking the car over inside and out they finally discovered my problem. if you look under your car on the left side where the exhaust goes over the axel there is a bundle of wireds the pass through the trunk and proceed to other locations under the car. it seems that exactly where the wire goes through the trunk the exhaust that goes over the axel is right there as well. the heat from the exhaust melted through the wire loom and shrink wrap and the insulation to the wires in that area. when the wire or wires would make contact with the exhaust it would then cause the fuse to the fuel pump to blow. now here is the hard thing to do i will have to suck it up and pay for it cause it is not going to be covered under warranty . i know i could make a big stink but i am better off not. 1. after market mufflers 2.sequential taillights hard wired into tail harness. it`s goingt o cost about 475 to fix plus the oil change ,gas and air filter,but atleast i am keeping my warranty.. small price to pay for the long term....better then shorting out the computer and other stuff ..but i wanted to give you guys a heads up......
Old 5/18/06, 12:52 PM
Cobra Member

I don't see how your aftermarket mufflers or sequential tail lights would make a problem, maybe if you had completely replaced the exhaust system, but in my mind it should be covered under warrenty.
Old 5/18/06, 12:58 PM
Cobra Member

they said the afer market exhaust forced the whole exhaust system just foward enough to cause the problem.....
Old 5/22/06, 12:48 AM

wow

wow that is very interesting.. i had the same **EXACT** thing happen.... my CEL came on one day so i brought it to the dealer.... after a week of them being able to not find the cause of the CEL, they finally determined it was exactly what you had just mentioned. i thought it was quite strange, but they said my aftermarket duels were the cause of the problem and charged me.. whatever i paid.. but i thought it was quite strange, but oh well what are you going to do....