2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Is there a Shift Indicator?

Search this Thread

Old 12/12/04, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This will be my first stick-shift. I know you eventually develop a feel for the right shift point. But does the Mustang have a shift indicator light in the dash to tell you when IT thinks it's the right time to upshift?

BTW, love reading everyone's opinions and viewing all these great photos in :worship: the Forums.
Old 12/12/04, 10:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

No light. You'll get the feel pretty quickly. For me, in normal city driving, it's around 2K rpms.
Old 12/12/04, 11:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

If you look at the gauges here: http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/wall.../TMSGauges.jpg
you can see the icon within the tach (arrow that points up).
Old 12/13/04, 12:13 AM
She's Back and Strapped!

Hmmm, thats funny you show that there... I will have to check out my tach to see if I have one. Never seen it go on, and I know that I have taken it past 4k..
Old 12/13/04, 12:16 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by bigred0383@December 13, 2004, 6:14 AM
If you look at the gauges here: [URL=http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/wallpaper/05/TMSGauges.jpg]
you can see the icon within the tach (arrow that points up).
I don't know what you are seeing, cause I sure don't see any Arrow? The only thing close is right by the Right Turn Signal Indicator, but that's not an Up Shift Light.

That Icon is for the Cruise Control. I saw it on a V6 I drove. My 97 Thunderbird has a similar light, but mine Says "Cruise On" This is just another standardized Icon for foreign markets that don't speek english.
Here's the Diagram from the Owners Manual showing all of the Icons in the Instrument Cluster.

Old 12/13/04, 12:22 AM
She's Back and Strapped!

Tampa, its under the 4k mark on the tach. Its not illuminated, so you have to look for it.

Edited to add, Tampa the cruise indicator is not in the tach, as it shows clearly in the diagram you just posted. The picture that was posted shows an unilluminated light under the 4k mark on the actual tach. Its a single up arrow, with no other graphics around it.
Old 12/13/04, 12:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Oh cool I see it!
Old 12/13/04, 12:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@December 13, 2004, 7:25 AM
Tampa, its under the 4k mark on the tach. Its not illuminated, so you have to look for it.

Edited to add, Tampa the cruise indicator is not in the tach, as it shows clearly in the diagram you just posted. The picture that was posted shows an unilluminated light under the 4k mark on the actual tach. Its a single up arrow, with no other graphics around it.

I must Be Blind, because I Do Not See any Arrow Under the 4k marking on the tach in the picture that Big Red is Using for his reference. This Pic Below.

Oh and By the Way Jessica, If you go back to MY ORIGINAL POST you will see if you READ My Post, that I stated that the Cruise Indicator is Right by the RIGHT TURN SIGNAL INDICATOR. I did not say that it was IN THE TACH. I was simply stating that the only thing that I see that copuld be mistaken for an Up Shift Light, was the Cruise Indicator. I have only Driven One 5 Speed GT, and didn't notice an Up Shift Indicator Light on it.
Old 12/13/04, 12:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

You really have to get up close. It's there! Promise!
Old 12/13/04, 12:43 AM
She's Back and Strapped!

LMAO Tampa, easy killer... back up there buddy. I wasnt bagging on ya man, I was just trying to show you where the two lights are.

I OWN a 5SPD 05, and I havent seen the light that is in the pic. IF YOU READ MY POSTS, you will see that!

Now, instead of getting upset, and feeling like I am jumping yer ****, take a close look at the pic you just posted. I can see the arrow clear as day under the number 4 in the tach.

Side note: In your OM diagram, there is also another light not secified, and it looks like this (!). Its in the pic both times, but not in your diagram.

Maybe I need to use more smilies... sheesh.

EDIT: BTW, Tampa, most of us know where a TACH is, and when the pic was posted it was stated thats where the indicator is. Maybe I am not the one who needs to read?
Old 12/13/04, 12:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Try adjusting the brightness on your screen. It might help.
Old 12/13/04, 12:46 AM
She's Back and Strapped!

Ballz, photochop a circle around it, then outline it in red... it might be easier to see that way.
Old 12/13/04, 12:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Man, somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!

BTW, although I have only driven one 5 speed MANUAL GT (TampaBear, the manual and auto. are BOTH 5 speeds), I did not notice any shift light, and honestly, I thank Ford for that, because I think shift lights are annoying as, well, this is a family site, so I'll stop there.

If I want a shift light, I'll install it myself, and it certainly won't be set to go off for fuel efficiency, it will be set to go off at optimum shifting point for POWER.
Old 12/13/04, 12:50 AM
She's Back and Strapped!

Shea, I think I just need to go to bed for the night... LOL!!!
Old 12/13/04, 12:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Like Jessica said, its not illuminated so its hard to see. I inverted the colors so it would show up better.

Old 12/13/04, 01:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Old 12/13/04, 01:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@December 13, 2004, 7:46 AM
LMAO Tampa, easy killer... back up there buddy. I wasnt bagging on ya man, I was just trying to show you where the two lights are.

I OWN a 5SPD 05, and I havent seen the light that is in the pic. IF YOU READ MY POSTS, you will see that!

Now, instead of getting upset, and feeling like I am jumping yer ****, take a close look at the pic you just posted. I can see the arrow clear as day under the number 4 in the tach.

Side note: In your OM diagram, there is also another light not secified, and it looks like this (!). Its in the pic both times, but not in your diagram.

Maybe I need to use more smilies... sheesh.

EDIT: BTW, Tampa, most of us know where a TACH is, and when the pic was posted it was stated thats where the indicator is. Maybe I am not the one who needs to read?
OK, I'm sorry. I appologise, I did turn up the Brightness on my Monitor and I see what you are talking about. I'm also sorry if I up set you by my post. I thought that you were just trying to be Sarcastic. As for the Icon you mention The (!) That is not on the Diagram i posted because that is for the Tire Pressure Monitor that Didn't Make it to Production, This Picture with the Arrow that we are discussing is a Pre Production Photo. So I'm Sure it's Not Completly Acurate.

Oh, and Shea, I Know that the Automatic is also a 5 Speed, I have Driven One GT Automatic, and Two 6 Cylinder Automatics. I was only refering to the Manual as a Five Speed, since Most people refer to their Manual Transmission by the Number of Gears it has, However Automatic Owners usually only refer to their Transmission, as an Automatic.

Again, I am Sorry for sounding Rude or Pi$$y. It is Late for me and I do Need to Go to Bed. Good Night All!
Old 12/13/04, 06:24 AM
Bullitt Member

"But does the Mustang have a shift indicator light in the dash to tell you when IT thinks it's the right time to upshift?"

Gee, I must be getting old, but that's what I thought the Tachometer needle was for! I don't need some dumb electronic gizmo to tell me when to shift. That is, unless you're concerned about gas mileage, I guess.
Old 12/13/04, 06:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

That arrow never illuminates, if it's there. I watched a little closer this morning on my way in to work. The only arrow style reading there is is that fuel mileage indicator, but that's not a great shift indicator either.

Bottom line....vrrrrrRRRRRRR <shift> vrrrrrrRRRRR <shift>...
Old 12/13/04, 07:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
Folks, this is very easy. Really.

This is a Mustang. If you look on the the tach, you will see a red area that starts around 6000 RPM.

When your tach needle approaches or crosses the red area, THAT is when you shift!!

Quick Reply: Is there a Shift Indicator?