2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any gear that isn't fabulous?

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/05, 08:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I'm driving home from a late night at work and merge from the 60 East onto the 101 South (for all you local boys and girls). For those that don't know, this is a 2 lane approx. 1/2 mile offramp surrounded on both sides by 14' cement walls. Being so late, there is NO traffic, and as I'm merging onto the offramp I notice that there are no cars ahead of me at all. Hmmm, I think, maybe I could open it up.

Before that thought gets through my mind, I look in the rearview mirror and see a set of headlights approaching fast. Then I notice the neon wiper nozzles. Oh great, a Honda Accord riced out, wing, I can hear the stereo over mine (Bob Marley, No Woman No Cry for those that care) and because of the surrounding cement walls, I can hear his stupid muffler resonating as he has this car revving at what must have been 8K RPM.

OK, so as stated in the title, I'm in 5th gear, AC on, Bob Marley playing on the Shaker, not exactly a "gun it" scenario. But what the heck, it's deserted, so I depress the pedal a bit. I'm at 60 Mph, the tach slowly moves up near 3K, about 80 Mph. I look back, and this Honda is keeping pace. Hmmm. I push down the pedal a bit more, tach keeps slowly rising, 90, 95, 100, 105, 110, I look back and "my homie" is fading fast. Unreal, no downshift, just smooth acceleration while the buzz bomb behind me sounds like it's going to explode.

Well the entrance to the 101 freeway is coming up, which is a sweeping right hand turn. I've taken this turn at 75 in my old Expedition, and that was scary, so I wasn't in the mood to take it at 110 and slide my new car into the cement wall, so I let off the gas and coast down. 105, 100, 95, 90, 85, 80. BZZZZZZWWWAAAAAHHHHH this guy STILL has his Accord pegged and flies around me, cuts in front of me, and takes this turn at well over 100 Mph. The back end of this guys car is literally "hopping" as the rear of the car is almost ready to slide out from under him. How this guy didn't put his car into the wall, I have no idea.

Boring ride the rest of the way home, I had to restart Bob so I could hear the song in peace, and just shook my head at the stupidity of this guy. Although something just occured to me, somewhere on the Internet in a Honda Accord forum, there is a thread about how this guy just took down a new Mustang and flew by him like he was standing still. :scratch:

Yeah I know, it's a Honda. But this was pretty effortless. I continue to be amazed at this car, in any gear. Sometimes I still walk into my garage and think to myself "I can't believe I own this car!"

Sean
Old 8/12/05, 08:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I notice a lot of ricers want to race on the 101 :P thats where most of my action comes in. I had some celica race me on the 202 (new area down by pecos) and i didnt downshift from 5th startin at 70mph, he started to pull at first, then i caught him, and slowly pulled away up to about 105, i was impressed and thats just the 6 cylinder.
Old 8/12/05, 10:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

I wish I had a longer drive to work. I moved to Scottsdale a month or so ago when I still had my truck and am now only 1.5mi from my office......oh well. I'll just have to take my car out for some freeway driving every now and then.
Old 8/13/05, 06:24 AM
GT Member

LOL geat story.
Old 8/13/05, 09:39 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

5th gear is really the only "dog" gear IMO unless you're going pretty darn fast. Gears 1 through to 3 are killer for sure.
Old 8/13/05, 10:48 AM
V6 Member

Man, I wish Texas state trropers and small town cops weren't quite so good at their jobs. I don't condone racing, but some high speed commuting with someone else who just happens to be doing the same sounds like fun.

There would be a perfect spot on 288 right by Angleton (small town south of Houston) that would be perfect. Three lanes, straight lines.... *shakes himself* Oh well.