Search this Thread

Old 10/20/04, 06:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ditto.
Old 10/20/04, 07:00 PM
GT Member

Kevin, you think that an 05 v6 is just as fast as an 04 GT vert? True, I havent driven either, but I find that so hard to believe that a v6 4.0 will be as quick as a 04 GT vert. Did I understand you right?
Old 10/20/04, 07:05 PM
Cobra Member

Yes you did. The new V6 is more powerful, more torque and weighs less since it is a coup. It is close.
Old 10/20/04, 07:07 PM
GT Member

who would buy any new car without test driving it more than 20 miles? I bought a new 03 FX4 and then a new 04 super crew 4X4 and drove both of them home for the weekend before i ever evn discussed a price.
Old 10/20/04, 07:12 PM

Something I can't help but wonder...we have heard of new owners being beat from traffic light starts and now a Mach owner says the GT doesn't have the same power....

I think we seem to be overlooking the fact that this car has 300hp with variable valve timing. If anyone has ever driven a car with this before, it tends to move all the power and torque up the rev range to higher revs. I think the reason the paper #s are better then a mach and the owner thinks differently, etc. is because the mach has low end torque and power where the 05 GT has a smoother power and torque band. Take for instance: I owned a 91 MR2 Turbo w/ 200hp, 200ftlbs. Looking at the numbers for 0-60mph the Celica GTS with variable valve timing should have been a good replacement. I drove the Celica GTS and was greatly dissappointed because I was use to a lot more low end torque. I don't think the GT will be as drastic as this example because we are talking about a V8, but this would explain why some are initially disappointed. Also, anything that requires revs for power usually takes a while to break in before power is optimal and it takes a while to get use to shift points.

I still feel the GT and Mach are good comparisons, just made for different types of drivers.... :yes:
Old 10/20/04, 07:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 67-4spd@October 20, 2004, 7:10 PM
who would buy any new car without test driving it more than 20 miles? I bought a new 03 FX4 and then a new 04 super crew 4X4 and drove both of them home for the weekend before i ever evn discussed a price.
Must have been a demo car...
I bought my 05 GT not only... without driving it... but I also drove several hundred miles to buy it ... so I didn't see it either.

My point, who would want to buy a brand new car that people have test driven.. more than likely knowing they won't buy the car they drove... this.... like the person who posted the original thread.
For all you know they are ruining breakin time.

And it's hard to imagine a dealer who would let someone drive a vehicle that distance when it's a model which has such high demad.

When I bought my 96 Cobra, the dealer would not let me drive a Cobra they had on their lot....even though I was ordering a Cobra from them....
They asked me to test drive the GT...
I can respect that....

If you know what your buying..... You should know what your buying.
Old 10/20/04, 07:38 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by MCGT+October 20, 2004, 7:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MCGT @ October 20, 2004, 7:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-67-4spd@October 20, 2004, 7:10 PM
Must have been a demo car...
I bought my 05 GT not only... without driving it... but I also drove several hundred miles to buy it ... so I didn't see it either.

My point, who would want to buy a brand new car that people have test driven.. more than likely knowing they won't buy the car they drove... this.... like the person who posted the original thread.
For all you know they are ruining breakin time.

And it's hard to imagine a dealer who would let someone drive a vehicle that distance when it's a model which has such high demad.

When I bought my 96 Cobra, the dealer would not let me drive a Cobra they had on their lot....even though I was ordering a Cobra from them....
They asked me to test drive the GT...
I can respect that....

If you know what your buying..... You should know what your buying. [/b][/quote]
my point is when you have a good dealer they will do anything to get your buisness
Old 10/20/04, 07:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

We only have 1 deal with an unsold GT in the area and he stated no test drives, anyone that wants to buy a GT does not want more than 5 or 6 miles on it. I agree and understood that especially since I was not going to buy from him.
Old 10/20/04, 07:49 PM

The ole "butt meter" is not really a good measure of performance. A great example is the 03 Cobra. To me my car doesn't "feel" all that fast, heck my 00 GT felt faster than it. I ran 12.65 @ 114 with a drop in filter, so I know it is fast but it just doesn't feel fast.
As far as the Mach and 05 are concerned only time will tell. I have seen Mach's with little mods running low 13's high 12's and until someone does this in a 05 my money is on the Mach.
Old 10/20/04, 07:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Alright I will just have to settle the argument, someone send me an 04 Mach-1, an 05 GT and I'll let you know the results.
Old 10/20/04, 08:03 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sure one of the first magazine comparisons in MMFF will be lining up an '03-04 Mach1 with an '05 GT and comparing the results, based on just data alone, it should be very close.
Old 10/20/04, 08:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by M-squared@October 20, 2004, 6:03 PM
Kevin, you think that an 05 v6 is just as fast as an 04 GT vert? True, I havent driven either, but I find that so hard to believe that a v6 4.0 will be as quick as a 04 GT vert. Did I understand you right?
He said it could give it a run for its money. Not neccesarily meaning it's faster.
Old 10/20/04, 08:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
I know one thing for sure. . .

When I get mine, I plan to eat every four-banger buzz-bomb I come across!
Old 10/20/04, 08:28 PM
Banned

I am going to try and reply to ALL of you guys..............

First off i LOVe the new car

The car i drove was not a demo they just got it in yesterday......Haldelman Fored in NJ look it up.....

You guys can say ALL you want all i know is that the car does not pull anywhere NEAR a MACH!

As a matter of fact the car loses muster high in the power band!

Go test the car out for yourselves!

You will ALL see what i am talking about!

i live in the NY area....this is a MUSTANG not a LAMBHORGINI so you can test drive it all you want!

I cant wait to get mine

Look, I am a MUSTANG enthis. just like all of you....so i wanted to share my experieance with the 05 with you and let you know what i thought

When you guys drive it you will see and feeel it just like i have and just like all the owners have

We have ALOT of members who ALREADY have the car and they are not saying much about Power....why is that?????

Ill tell you why...it is b/c the car is OVERATED!

Not that it is a bad thing (like someone posted)

It is a TRULY beautiful car and i ABSOLUTELY love it!

All im saying is that it is NOT faster than a MACH.........END OF STORY!

I think that the car is a little faster than a 04 GT

From what i felt with a GREAT driver the car should do a 13.6---- 14.0

I cannot wait to get mine (8- 12 weeks)

Go test drive it guys.....tell me what YOU think...i wanna hear

As for me....I love mustangs... and i love this car and the previous one

BUT dont compare it to a MACH...compare it to an 04 GT

SMOKE those RICE guys

Edited for language :nono:
Old 10/20/04, 08:33 PM
Banned

You guys would have to excuse my mispelling and horrible text....I am a little drunk and upset while watching the Yankees get pummeled!

The yankees dont deserve to win......CONGRATS to EVERYONE in New England!
Old 10/20/04, 09:17 PM
Banned

Old 10/21/04, 06:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by silverbull271@October 20, 2004, 5:11 PM

As for the power i am dissapointed
As i got on it it feels ANEAMIC...
I wonder if some drivers are experiencing the '03/'04 phenom. I have never experienced it personally, but some owners of the '03/'04 Cobra thought their cars were slow because the car is so smooth. Once they did a couple of runs and actually looked at the speedo, they were amazed at the speed.

From the initial #'s, I don't know if I would call this car anemic.
Old 10/21/04, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by silverbull271@October 20, 2004, 8:31 PM
I am going to try and reply to ALL of you guys..............

First off i LOVe the new car

The car i drove was not a demo they just got it in yesterday......Haldelman Fored in NJ look it up.....

You guys can say ALL you want all i know is that the car does not pull anywhere NEAR a MACH!

As a matter of fact the car loses muster high in the power band!

Go test the car out for yourselves!

You will ALL see what i am talking about!

i live in the NY area....this is a MUSTANG not a LAMBHORGINI so you can test drive it all you want!

I cant wait to get mine

Look, I am a MUSTANG enthis. just like all of you....so i wanted to share my experieance with the 05 with you and let you know what i thought

When you guys drive it you will see and feeel it just like i have and just like all the owners have

We have ALOT of members who ALREADY have the car and they are not saying much about Power....why is that?????

Ill tell you why...it is b/c the car is OVERATED!

Not that it is a bad thing (like someone posted)

It is a TRULY beautiful car and i ABSOLUTELY love it!

All im saying is that it is NOT faster than a MACH.........END OF STORY!

I think that the car is a little faster than a 04 GT

From what i felt with a GREAT driver the car should do a 13.6---- 14.0

I cannot wait to get mine (8- 12 weeks)

Go test drive it guys.....tell me what YOU think...i wanna hear

As for me....I love mustangs... and i love this car and the previous one

BUT dont compare it to a MACH...compare it to an 04 GT

SMOKE those RICE basterds!
Great post. Thanks for the honest response. You know I also wondered that from the lucky few that have received the '05 why no big deal has been made about the power. Not many have given any feedback at all, postive or negative. To be honest its been sort of weird hearing the type of feedback from people who have driven/own the '05. There seems to be a lot people saying "great interior", "great smooth ride", or that it "out-handles the fox platform." It doesn't seem like mustang enthusiasts are testing these cars by the responses I have been reading.

I do have a sneaking suspicion that these cars are not as quick as most have hoped. Let me pose this question...If this car ran a 13.3 or lower I think you would see this all over the forums. I gotta think that someone, somewhere has taken this car to the track...why no info. This is killing me. When the 99 GTs came out MMFF and everyone and their brother had times on these cars. Some people were picking up their cars, grabbing their helmets and going to the track. Whats the big secret?
Old 10/21/04, 06:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 67-4spd@October 20, 2004, 7:10 PM
I just bought a new F150 FX4 4x4 and only needed to test drive it a few miles on city streets and on the highway. I don't feel the need to take long winded test drives.

I test drive a vehicle that I know I am already going to buy by having already sat it in ..is it comfortable, etc, etc ... I take a test drive to make sure that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle.

One F150 I was looking at had a serios vibration. The one I bought was just perfect.

Different philosophies.
Old 10/21/04, 07:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

I gotta chime in here. The GT has enough HP @ 300. Those of us who want the whole package ie power, handling characteristics, good quality build, and the most important pleasantly wrapped package. Will be happy with this car. Period

I too want to make it go faster, handle better!

The bottom line is that Ford has made an enormous effort at creating both nostalgia and technology combined in the New Mustang.

I don't care how much they improve it... :scratch: We will find ways to make better improvements.

We as mustang enthusiasts ARE being Listened to by Ford, They are reading what we say here! (Ex. Spoiler delete option).

Personally I want power/performance with decent MPG, So this car is a good place to start... and if you don't want to mod it you will still have an awesome ride. :worship:

Just my .02... no toe smashing intended

Quick Reply: Test drove a 05 GT for about 20 miles!