2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Terlingua Specs

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/08, 04:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Terlingua Specs

I keep reading about how the supercharged Terlingua will leave the V8 Stangs for dead, but the prelim specs indicate only 350 hp for the V6. IIRC, you could supercharge the stock 4.6 3V for up to 500 bhp without a significant weight penalty. I also read about the MPG of the Terlingua - so what is the expected fuel economy from the blown Terlingua? I'd expect it to be better than the V8 for obvious reasons but the hype makes it seem like it would take on a 65 MPG diesel Focus in fuel economy, and tear out the guts of a GT500 on the track.

FWIW I like the Terlingua logo. I have a pet rabbit that is just as mean/aggressive as the logo implies!

Last edited by metroplex; 10/22/08 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10/22/08, 09:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mostly hype.

The base 4.0 V-6 is only seeing about 1 mile per gallon better fuel mileage than the base 4.6 V-8 GT. Obviously the supercharged Terlingua, isn't going to better that over a similarly supercharged V-8.

The raw power is not what the Shelby Terlingua is all about anyway, it's big deal is supposed to be it's enhanced handling.

Originally Posted by metroplex
I keep reading about how the supercharged Terlingua will leave the V8 Stangs for dead, but the prelim specs indicate only 350 hp for the V6. IIRC, you could supercharge the stock 4.6 3V for up to 500 bhp without a significant weight penalty. I also read about the MPG of the Terlingua - so what is the expected fuel economy from the blown Terlingua? I'd expect it to be better than the V8 for obvious reasons but the hype makes it seem like it would take on a 65 MPG diesel Focus in fuel economy, and tear out the guts of a GT500 on the track.

FWIW I like the Terlingua logo. I have a pet rabbit that is just as mean/aggressive as the logo implies!
Old 10/23/08, 05:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
What kind of handling mods does the Terlingua have or is expected to receive?
Old 10/26/08, 10:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This past June at the Mid-America Ford Performance & Shelby Meet I watched the Terlingua hold its own against the GT500 during the OPEN TRACK EVENT.

Found this on the Shelby Forums posted by crispy23c

A couple of things as they stand right now:

-You will not be limited to a black car or a yellow car. The black car will have a yellow hood, and all the other colors will have a black hood
- The package will be offered in 3 stages, from basic suspension & badges to full-blown street racer. We are still working towards final packaging, so some things may change a bit, but I feel that we are pretty close to what it will be;
-You will be thrilled by the performance & handling of the Terlingua: More power than the original GT350, super crisp handling.....WITH....air conditioning, pw, p-brakes...and it's affordable.

Last edited by Twisted; 10/26/08 at 10:45 PM.
Old 1/9/09, 12:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it has been awhile since the Terlingua Racing Team was born again. The Terlingua Racing Team package for six-shooter Mustangs has been available for awhile. There's even a winner in a TRT Mustang raffle...

But has the Terlingua Racing Team entered a Mustang in a race somewhere (anywhere)? Perhaps in the Mustang Challenge (an excellent place to start, except that it is a spec series using FR500S Mustangs powered by 4.6L V8s...), or perhaps the Grand American Road Racing Association's Koni Challenge (also an excellent place to start, but this is a heavily delimited series allowing only the 4-valve 5.0L 'Cammer V8 in S197s), or even some SCCA events or NASA American Iron events. Please, no NASCAR. How 'bout Europe's FIA GT4 class (again, the homologated Mustang is a Euro spec'd FR500C called the FR500GT4 using the 4-valve 5.0L 'Cammer V8)? Maybe the Terlingua Racing Team V6 Mustang can be certified in the ST (Street Tuner) class of the Grand Am (where pundits would laugh heartily if it was outclassed but who would protest viciously if it was dominant)...

Admittedly, there aren't a lot of venues for campaigning a V6 S197, but it's about time that the Terlingua Racing Team put some racing into the Terlingua Racing Team--or so it seems to me...

Any agreement or disagreement out there?

Greg "Eights" Ates
Old 1/9/09, 01:16 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex

I don't think it's fair to compare the Terlingua to a blown V8. That's not the point.