2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Be sure to set that E-brake!

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/05, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down

Can't believe that I was in such a hurry to get into the Knott's Ford show today that i forgot to set the e-brake. The car was parked on a very slight forward incline. As we were walking towards the show, I "thought" i was hearing the alarm going off and run back to the car...there's a guy pushing on the front end of my car trying to stop it from rolling into another car about 6 feet away. (This guy really saved my bacon..thanks to whoever you are!) I jumped in and slammed on the brakes with about 3 feet to spare.

I have never done something like that before and will ALWAYS set that brake from now on. JessicaRabbitt, you are my witness!!

Here's a few crummy photo's from the show...couldn't get any real good shots of the '05 Mustangs due to the crowds of people gathered around.

Fabulous Fords Show at Knott's in SoCal
Old 4/17/05, 05:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i did the same, was in a rush going to a friends house, and my mom was in the car screaming cuz i jumped out to drop something off, and it started rolling with her in it, it scared me to death, but i jumped in and slammed on the brakes LoL at least u had some nice person that helped, if not, that would have been terrible
Old 4/17/05, 05:26 PM
Bullitt Member

He had to of been a car guy to be so kind to do that for ya. Very cool.

Good lesson to all who have or getting manuals. Use the parking brake.
Old 4/17/05, 06:19 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

I felt soooo bad for poor John. The poor guy was a nervous wreck walking away from it the second time.

I totally understand how he felt though... My 99GT was a week old when I did it. I was a little less lucky, and mine ended up in a planter. I had parked it in my car port, forgot the brake, and one of my neighbors came home to tell me my brand new Mustang was in the planter... Thank heavens there was no damage, it was slow enough speed that it didnt hop the planter and hit the Land Rover parked on the other side. It was fast enough to hop the little 4 inch retainer for the planter. My husband 6 years later STILL hassles me about it.

Hey JohnSCB, just another reason to get a keychain pager on your alarm!! Mine works up to 1/2 mile away.
Old 4/17/05, 06:24 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Man, just reading that made me go check mine

Hey, do you ever park it in gear as well as using the parking brake to avoid that situation?

I never leave it in N
Old 4/17/05, 06:28 PM
V6 Member

If you leave a manual trans in say ... 1st gear wouldn't that prevent it from rolling forward or backward, assuming one forgot to use the parking break ?
Old 4/17/05, 06:35 PM
I Have No Life

Yes, thats the idea.
I even think its in the owners manual.

I was taught never to leave it in N for just that reason.
Thought it was just a known thing
Old 4/17/05, 06:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@April 17, 2005, 7:22 PM
keychain pager on your alarm!! Mine works up to 1/2 mile away.
You happen to have a link to this item?
Old 4/17/05, 06:42 PM
I Have No Life

Heres the snippet on setting your tranny in 1st while parking.

Heads up boys and gals if you don't do this:
Old 4/17/05, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by XtangGT+April 17, 2005, 6:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(XtangGT @ April 17, 2005, 6:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-JessicaRabbitt@April 17, 2005, 7:22 PM
keychain pager on your alarm!! Mine works up to 1/2 mile away.
You happen to have a link to this item?
[/b][/quote]

I would be interested in this item also
Old 4/17/05, 06:45 PM
GT Member

my sister just got a manual BMW 3 series and I keep drilling her on using her e-brake for just this reason. Glad yall's cars are alright!!
Old 4/17/05, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm old school just can't believe how many people can't drive a stick shift.
Old 4/17/05, 07:18 PM
GT Member

I would also like a link to this magical pager!
Old 4/17/05, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by redstang@April 17, 2005, 5:04 PM
I'm old school just can't believe how many people can't drive a stick shift.
Hey, I learned how to drive a stick over 30 years ago. Leaving the brake off was a careless error. Could have sworn i left it in gear tho...maybe not? My bad . You can bet i won't be doing that again!! :nono:
Old 4/17/05, 07:29 PM
Cobra Member

I use my parking brake out of habit, even on my automatic. It saves stress on the parking pawl in the transmission. That and I previously had a manual-trans vehicle so I'm in the habit of using the parking brake all the time.

I once found my manual trans Ranger sitting halfway into the street one morning, luckily it didn't hit my neighbor's mailbox across the street. I think I remember setting the brake, but maybe I didn't set it hard enough and it moved.
Old 4/17/05, 07:39 PM
I Have No Life

Hey, we all make goofs...it happens.
Just be thankful nothing was damaged, and no one was hurt

I too have always used it, even in an auto.
Worst thing is people in auto trannys who don't use it, one day you may need it, and it may not work!
Old 4/17/05, 07:58 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Well, folks I would love to get you a link... however, Audiovox's site wont load, and everytime I try to do a search I get thousands of links... "Shop.com for car alarms" that kind of crud. Sometimes I TRULY hate the internet.

I know its an Audiovox, and thats about all I know.. LOL I am trying to find my paperwork when I got it installed.
Old 4/17/05, 08:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Boomer@April 17, 2005, 5:27 PM
Man, just reading that made me go check mine

Hey, do you ever park it in gear as well as using the parking brake to avoid that situation?

I never leave it in N
When I had cars with the manual transmission I ALWAYS left the car in gear when I parked...usually in reverse (something my Father taught me) and never had a problem with the car rolling away.
Old 4/17/05, 08:11 PM
GT Member

You know how much I despise "stick people" who are so used to using parking brakes that when they drive my automatics, they put the darn parking brake on when they leave my car. And then I inevitably get back in the car, forget the e-brake is on (because when I park I dont engage the e-brake there's NO REASON to) and then end up smoking my brakes going halfway down the street with them still engaged. I have ALWAYS driven automatics, I'm of the younger generation where our first car we learned to drive in was an auto, so we NEVER use the e-brake. I didn't even understand why it was there at all. e-brakes on automatics have NO PURPOSE, because in the 6 years I've been driving, I've never used it, and never needed it. When I started dating girls who drove sticks, they inevitably did what I said earlier, engage my e-brake when they got out of my car, and then leave me driving with it on causing me to smoke my brakes. UGH!
Old 4/17/05, 08:39 PM
GT Member

I've got 3 teenage boys that have gone through " drivers training" in school & have all been taught to use the parking brake. Me -being an old guy with lots of lifes experiences never use it because in the winter the shoes will stick to the brake drums! If you've ever had this happen to you you would probably rather your car just rolled away! I leave it in reverse!

Quick Reply: Be sure to set that E-brake!