2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Supercharger vs Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/04, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry if someone posted something similar to this. What do you guys thinks is better For the 05GT and why a supercharger or Turbo? just curious thats all,I think that the stalker hood would look tight on the 05 thanks can't wait
Old 6/27/04, 05:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

turbos are nicer imho, because of the way they work
Old 6/27/04, 06:41 AM
Cobra R Member

N/A is the way to be... Port & Polish or Stroker is more like it.
Old 6/27/04, 07:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the turbos that I have driven usually have a fair amount of lag (which is then followed by a large grin once the turbo kicks in). The superchargers seem to come on sooner (esp if you have a pulley upgrade). In case you are wondering, this is also followed by a large grin.
Old 6/27/04, 08:01 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Superchargers are easier to install and maintain. They also have power that comes on almost instantly. They also cost less than turbos if you buy an aftermarket one.

Turbos, are more complex without getting into turbo maps and such, you need to route oil and cooling lines to it, modify the exhaust system, and modify the fuel system as well. Electronics such as boost retard systems and and MSD box are also a wise idea. So, basically, the reason you don't see too many aftermarket tubo systems, is because of the complexity and cost associated with it. Turbos usually have higher power outputs, but have have the 'lag' that Crazyhorse mentioned.

For 95% of the people out, there, a supercharger is the way to go unless you are very technically minded and very patient, or have lots of money to spend on the kit and the install.

Hope this helps.
Old 6/27/04, 08:12 AM
GT Member

For "all out" horse power a turbo is unmatched. It does take a lot more room under the hood though and is more expensive. Even the lag problem can be gotten around, see pro 5.0 cars running mid 6's at 220 mph.

Think of a centrifical supercharger as a cross between a turbo and a supercharger, it is crank driven but needs lots of rpms (at the supercharger impeller) to make boost. They tend to be toward the cheapest end of the spectrum in terms of forced induction, and reasonable under hood space is lost. It is second on the "all out" horse power list.

A screw type is a very efficient blower also, compared to a roots type, and it uses the least amount of under hood space of them all. In a mild to medium effort drag race situation, it works very well as they make boost immediately.

Roots types are old school, (yes I know the Eaton on the Cobra is the same principle) consider them if you are on a budget, as they will be the cheapest.

Whichever you choose, be aware that compression kills when it comes to boost. Go too high on either in conjunction with the other, and nasty stuff will fly out of your oil pan.
Old 6/27/04, 07:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I was going to attempt to do the install myself, the blower. I would probably still screw it up though!

I'd pick the supercharger for the sound alone.

BTW this site is good for basic knowledge about anything ....

How Stuff Works
Old 6/27/04, 08:07 PM
Bullitt Member

For the 4.6L, I would go with a blower -- because space around the sides is at a premium, and a turbo requires room for plumbing and such, and because a twin screw blower fits quite nicely in between the wide V of the 4.6L. It's a match made in heaven...

Dave
Old 6/27/04, 10:05 PM
Bullitt Member

On a general principle I would go for turbo for a few reasons

Turbo sounds better than Super
Superchragers require power to make power, turbos run off gases
Turbos sound better, no jet engine whine.
Turbos are more often used than superchargers on factory cars(theres a reason)
Boost is more easily controlled on a turbo application(boost controller vs pulleys.)
etc etc etc
Old 6/27/04, 10:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Both whine. Not sure which is more annoying. :bang: But you gotta love the power
Old 6/27/04, 10:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Superchargers make an annoying whine, turbos tend to have a whoosh from the wastegates and the shooting from the rushing gases.
Old 6/27/04, 10:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Rakshas@June 27, 2004, 8:08 PM
That does not, however, make them immune to physics. They still require energy to turn, and it's not free. Just a pet peeve of mine, I get sick of people suggesting that turbos don't require power to make power .

I like turbos too, but I don't think they are ideal on a 4.6L street driven car. Now, on my '95 GT a turbo is much more tempting...

Dave
Old 6/27/04, 10:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by HairyCanary+June 27, 2004, 10:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HairyCanary @ June 27, 2004, 10:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rakshas@June 27, 2004, 8:08 PM
That does not, however, make them immune to physics. They still require energy to turn, and it's not free. Just a pet peeve of mine, I get sick of people suggesting that turbos don't require power to make power .

I like turbos too, but I don't think they are ideal on a 4.6L street driven car. Now, on my '95 GT a turbo is much more tempting...

Dave [/b][/quote]
true, you have to get the exhaust flowing hard enough to spool the turbos.
Old 6/27/04, 10:31 PM
GT Member

I have found that turbos require alot more maintenence than a SC. Power is better with a turbo, but there are issues with reliability, mostly due to the heat (bolted directly to manifold.) I would like to drive a turbo'd mustang, before making an opinion, due to the fact that not alot of people do it, there has to be a reason why. I also know that with a V8 it is very hard to acheive ideal effeciency, due to the fact there are manifolds on either side of the engine. (twin turbo fixes that )
That is why you usually see them on I4 or I6 engines.
Old 6/28/04, 03:03 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Rakshas@June 27, 2004, 10:21 PM
Superchargers make an annoying whine, turbos tend to have a whoosh from the wastegates and the shooting from the rushing gases.
That is an opinion. I for myself love the sound of a supercharger. Please when stating at least add a IMHO!!
Old 6/28/04, 06:04 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Rakshas@June 27, 2004, 11:08 PM

Turbos are more often used than superchargers on factory cars(theres a reason)
That was true back in the 80s when Chrysler added a turbo to every other vehicle they made, but reliability problems, stemming from the fact that most people don't know that a turbo needs a little extra care caused them to drop the turbos. I think superchargers are becoming more prevalent nowadays (at least with the american cars)

The Europeans on the other hand, love turbos. Volvo, Saab, Porsche, etc, have shown that they can build reliable turbo cars.
Old 6/28/04, 06:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Nowadays, the turbos have little to no lag compared to the older ones. That was the biggest con when they first started selling them from factory. This topic has been beat to death on other forums I visit, but there is still no CLEAR answer. You could make a valid point for either one.

Oh and BTW, it's common that superchargers have that addicting whine and the turbos have the loud whistle(and swoosh) when you shift due to the BOV. Both are
Old 6/28/04, 06:14 AM
Bullitt Member

A friend of mine had a Le Baron that was "turbocharged". What a joke, the turbo was so small that it might as well not have even been there. They only put it there so they could say the car was TURBO. Back on topic, supercharger for me. I should be getting my 03 cobra this week, so I've been thinking a lot about superchargers lately.
Old 6/28/04, 07:06 AM
Cobra Member

What kind of engine mods do you think have to be done to the 2005 Stang GT, before adding a Super Charger? Or can you just bolt it on and GO!
Everybody I know, has engine mods done before they install it.
Old 6/28/04, 07:23 AM
Bullitt Member

TURBO sounds too much like a foreign 4 banger to me I like SUPER CHARGED it just sounds better on a stang than turbo

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs Turbos