2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Supercharger for 05?

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/11, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger for 05?

Hey guys I really need some help! I have a 2005 Roush stage one. It's naturally aspirated. I really want a supercharger as soon as possible. I really like the 2.6 L Kenne Bell stage 2 but I really don't want to spend $6500. I don't care what company makes it i just want to go big. Like 500 hp? Does anyone know someone who is selling any kind of supercharger. Or what I should do. Buying used is a big consideration as of now.
Old 9/26/11, 11:10 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Short of going used you are going to be hard pressed to find anything that will give you 500hp without spending some were north of 6k. In reality by the time you are done with a tune and supporting mods you could be much closer to $7,500.

If you are willing to do it in stages you could always look into a non high-output Procharger, Paxton or Vortech. Then in the future as more funds become avalaible you can add the air to air intercooler that will help you get closer to your HP goal. With other supporting mods like LT's, CMDP etc. you cat get to the 500hp goal. Just keep in mind that putting 500hp to the ground in a stock block 3V 4.6L is putting that engine and its internals right at the limit. You may not want to push it that hard.
Old 9/26/11, 11:22 AM

You really think I'll be pushing it to the limits? The stock roush stage 3 eaton m90 supercharger is pushing 450 or 475 without upgrading anything besides the suspension? Should I just think about looking for a M90?
Old 9/26/11, 11:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Every car is different. Some has pushed these numbers with no issues. Others have blown up with less power. If you search around, you can find kits that will make good power. I run 452RWHP with my Saleen SS setup, but you also have to remember how much at the crank is what matters. When you start hitting 500 to the floor, think what the crank number will be.

Also be aware that you will need a fuel upgrade, so a boost a pump, or GT500 pumps will be in order as well.

Finding the stuff new or use though just takes patience and time, but there are good deals out there. Also do not disregard turbos...can make good power and run easier on the system, as well.
Old 9/26/11, 11:44 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Well I guess it depends on what you're looking at, are those 450 to 475 numbers at the crank or at the ground? Are you looking for 500hp at the crank or the ground?

Last edited by 07S197; 9/26/11 at 11:45 AM.
Old 9/26/11, 11:52 AM
Bullitt Member

https://themustangsource.com/f637/ad...ackage-500018/

There is a deal on a Brenspeed package now on a VorTech. Not bad pricing either. Giving you everything you need to get started, and trust me, you will feel that kick in the pants !
Old 9/26/11, 11:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Check this out... GT1000 has one that may work for SUPER cheap!!!
Possibility?
https://themustangsource.com/f669/se...harger-500157/
Old 9/26/11, 12:00 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Originally Posted by Ninjak
https://themustangsource.com/f637/ad...ackage-500018/

There is a deal on a Brenspeed package now on a VorTech. Not bad pricing either. Giving you everything you need to get started, and trust me, you will feel that kick in the pants !
I was actually looking at that kit myself. It's is a great deal and then later on you can upgrade to an air to air intercooler for more power. The only thing I would change is upgrade to the GT500 pumps in place of the KB BAP, I just don't trust the BAP.
Old 9/26/11, 12:05 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Blue oval has Roush TVS superchargers on sale, you will get 475hp for around 5k. This one can be easily upgraded to 500hp.
http://www.blueovalindustries.com/en.../rh421099.html
Or Stage 3 has the Roush Chrome M90 supercharger on sale, you will get 435hp for $4200. Can be upgraded to 500hp but you're really spinning it and making heat.
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...it-Chrome.html
Old 9/26/11, 12:56 PM

Do you guys think I should just suck it up and save for the Kenne Bell. I'll be putting 539 min to the rear wheels? Its just that it is so expensive. I'm not big for superchargers that don't have blowers. It just seems non-mustang IMO. Does anyone know if whipple is any good or any less?

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/S...g4.6(5-10).htm
Old 9/26/11, 12:57 PM

Also I've given thought to the roush m90? Or tvs? I just want a supercharger that can be expanded upon.
Old 9/26/11, 03:58 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Originally Posted by caraccioloc
Do you guys think I should just suck it up and save for the Kenne Bell. I'll be putting 539 min to the rear wheels? Its just that it is so expensive. I'm not big for superchargers that don't have blowers. It just seems non-mustang IMO. Does anyone know if whipple is any good or any less?

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/S...g4.6(5-10).htm
I would love to see a stock block (stock internals) running the numbers that KB is posting. It doesen't say antying about boost but if they can get a stock internal 3V 4.6L to reliabily run anything from 501-775 RWHP on a regualr basis without puking its guts out then I take my hat off to them, that is quite an accomplishment. I would give them a call and see exactly what they mean when they say 100% stock. They say stock heads, cams, and manifolds but say nothing about internals to the block.

Well I know what you mean about using centri's, but keep in mind that some of the falsest Mustangs on the drag strip use centri's. Centri's usually build higher peak HP but do have some lag down low right off idle. A twin screw builds boost right off idle but usually is harder on the bottom end and does not build as much peak power, it builds it all down low.

539 to the rear wheels will have you putting ~480 to the ground. That is still within what would be considered "ok" by most for a typical 4.6L with a safe quality tune. It is still pushing it thou, you will be in the 10-11 psi range. Just keep in mind that most 4.6L's should handle that ok but there is no guarantee that yours will.

All in all it seems that whipples have proven to be pretty reliable on the 4.6L's they do sell a 550hp kit, but they will cost you. Most people I talk to have spent close to 10K by the time they were done getting everything they needed.

Remember that even though most of these kits come with a canned tune you should have a local speed shop do a custom one for you. All of these cars and engines are unique and knowing you are running a safe a/f mixture will make driving the car much more enjoyable. You won't worry that every time you get into the boost you going to put a window in the block, piston, or both.

Originally Posted by caraccioloc
Also I've given thought to the roush m90? Or tvs? I just want a supercharger that can be expanded upon.
If you want a S/C you can expand on then the m90 is probably not the kit for you. Most who want to build bigger motors down the road with built lower ends go with the tvs as it is easier to upgrade the s/c with just a pulley swap for more boost.

It really depends on what you are looking for. If you want a car that can put 450-480 to the ground and that is all you will ever ask of it then most of the kits out there can get you into that range at some point. Some will get you there faster but will cost more and others will take less initial funds and then you can take your time and build it as you have the money.

If your looking to get serious about HP and you want to put anything north of 480-490 to the ground and expect to use it on a regular basis then you really need to do your homework. Build a lower end that can take the abuse, most stock 4.6L 3V blocks just won't take that kind of abuse for long.

Last edited by 07S197; 9/26/11 at 04:06 PM.
Old 9/26/11, 05:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The M90 kit is great for a stock motor, if no upgrades are planned. TVS KB and such will push the block and stock internals to the limit, and most likely will result in needed re-build. If that is your plan anyway, start with the internal upgrades, then go to the TVS, KB, or Whipple.

M90 is good for 460-500hp at the flywheel, more with a smaller pully, CAI and custom tune. It is a safe setup, easy to install, comes with the intercooler and pump, bigger injectors, plugs and a fuel pump upgrade not needed.

I picked up a chrome kit for 3800.00 thru a local dealer about 3 weeks ago. Got a Anderson Ford Power Pipe Kit with throttle body from a seller on FnSweet.com.
Roush did the tune mod to allow for the CAI kit, gear upgrade etc.

Install took me about 10 hours over 4 days. Very simple and easy to follow directions come with the kit.

No regrets!!!!

Very good bang for the buck,
Old 9/26/11, 06:00 PM

Delz05 and 07S197 you guys have some very good information I really appreciate it. Delz05 how did you get such a great deal on your supercharger? And is there any way I could get in on it?
Old 9/26/11, 11:25 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

You can't expect to make the kind of power you're looking for and maintain a stock motor....for long, at least. Whenever you start bolting on superchargers or turbos you have to be prepared for the possibility something may and will go wrong. Its only a matter of time, as well as depends on the current motor condition as well as what kind of driver you are.

Adding power goes about in two different ways. You have a set budget of x amount of dollars, which to me, seems like about or less than 6k in your case. After you've established a budget you then go about finding what your options are. The second way is to figure out how much power you want, how you'd like to achieve that power, then figuring out the budget. The second option is always the more expensive one, however its also the most satisfying.

Oh yeah, and remember to budget a little higher for the "things that go wrong" category. Something always happens, whether its big or small. Either you'll blow up the motor, your clutch will go out or you'll accidentally strip a fitting. We have to learn to accept these things because when we start playing with power stuff is going to happen. Just pray that you're one of the lucky ones.
Old 9/27/11, 11:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I wonder if you can REALLY feel the difference between 450hp and 500hp. I am seeing that 450 is pretty safe in these blocks where as 500 is really starting to push it. I like these builders that say they put out 500hp+ with their kit but never really say how long it will last or what else they have done. I like the vortech kit linked above good price and you can upgrade it now or later. Heck start with that rotating assembly they have on sale and then really crank up the hp numbers a little later on down the road with no worries.
Old 9/27/11, 11:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I wonder if you can REALLY feel the difference between 450hp and 500hp.
Great question Glenn as I went from 425 to 455 and the real "feel" is minimal. And the with the hit I took on my MPG with that change (which I can attribute to the GT500 pumps going in) makes really question my decision to bump things up. I may be going back to the 420's this winter and detuning the car.
Old 9/27/11, 02:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just some advice from someone who has been down this road... if you are having to squeeze the budget for 6k on the blower you might want to save more because as others have said it will NOT end with just the blower if you're looking to make 500 to the wheels. (BTW I SERIOUSLY doubt you'll do that with a stock motor without popping it very very soon).

I ran my Saleen blower at around 415 or so to the wheels (8psi) and drove it for two years with NO problems. LOVED the car and had tons of fun in it.

Then I decided I just NEEDED to reach that 500hp mark so I upped the boost to 11 pounds and within two weeks I fried the clutch, then bought another and that one fried too. Suffice to say after about three months of my magic number I realized my car was in the shop more than I drove it. (It developed a valve tick that needed addressing as well)

I dropped the boost back down to 8lbs and drove it with a smile on my face not worrying about when the next part would break on the car.

There was a definite difference between 8lbs and 11lbs of boost... no question, but there was also many problems that went with it, and I'm not even going to go into the quest for traction after the increased HP.

People throw around numbers and brag that they make xxx number or whatever but I can almost promise you that half of those numbers are inflated and the other half that aren't have traction issues and have spent MUCH more for supporting mods to get the power down... not to mention blown motors, etc. etc.

I would recommend you get a kit that offers you a relatively "safe" (and that is relative depending on who you speak to) boost and see if that's enough for you to enjoy the car. If not then you can always swap pullies and add fuel systems down the road.

But I wouldn't recommend you chase the magic 500 number as it really doesn't mean much if you can't put it down reliably especially if you're on a budget.

--- P.S. I've also driven a centri car (paxton) and the car has a completely different feel which I didn't find as fun. So for that "kick in the pants" feeling I'd recommend a twin-screw.

Last edited by Imatk; 9/27/11 at 02:04 PM.
Old 9/27/11, 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

450rwhp runs very good and plenty fast enough for me.

Old 9/27/11, 05:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
That sure is purdy 908

Quick Reply: Supercharger for 05?