2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super charger question?

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/04, 12:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have a lot of knowledge on super charger install. Say I wanted to add a pro charger to the mustang. What Mandatory upgrades do I need to make. Is it a easy install? will I hurt the motor with out other necessary upgrades?What kind of horse power can I expect?
Old 7/29/04, 04:42 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You'll have to wait and see.
Kits I'm sure will be available, just when is the question.
Kit usually comes with everything needed for the upgrade.

Install, i don't know..but its not something..unless you've done it before, wouldn't want to attempt to do.
Old 7/29/04, 07:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

i guess it just depends on the supercharger. i think with a turbo or a blower, you have to change a few things (at a minimum) to be able to accomidate for the new horsepower. especially if you get something that is running a lot of power.

i'm sure someone w/ a little more knowhow can break down specific parts for you.
Old 7/29/04, 07:57 AM
GT Member

Keep in mind the tuners will have to get caught up with the new technology also. Since the new PCM doesn't have a test port for an aftermarket chip, the PCM will have to be reflashed.

I'll be interested to see how quick the aftermarket adapts to the new PCM. Shouldn't be that long.
Old 7/29/04, 09:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw an article somewhere (I think it was Autoweek) that a new law was proposed to congress to make it so that cars computers were easier to access and manilpulate. They were basing it on the fact that the difficult PCMs were forcing customers to go to the dealers for repair instead of the independant mechanics. Hopefully this will be passed and the PCMs will be easier to modify in the future.
Old 7/29/04, 11:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by crazyhorse@July 29, 2004, 10:41 AM
I saw an article somewhere (I think it was Autoweek) that a new law was proposed to congress to make it so that cars computers were easier to access and manilpulate. They were basing it on the fact that the difficult PCMs were forcing customers to go to the dealers for repair instead of the independant mechanics. Hopefully this will be passed and the PCMs will be easier to modify in the future.
It wont. Gas stations better open up snack shops if they havent already. Why the heck anyone would go outside a dealer for service is beyond me on modern cars.
Old 7/29/04, 11:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As for the SC, just wait.
Old 7/29/04, 11:16 AM
GT Member

Supercharger or "blower" kits usually come with everything you need to complete the job. There are invariably snags in the install process like fittings not exactly lining up or brackets that need just a little adjustment to make work. There are several things that don't usually come in a kit though that you must do in order to reach the superchargers full potential. The major ones are computer programming, exhaust/air intake and fuel delivery. The better kits might include a flash programmer and upgraded fuel pump but exhaust and intake are never included. When trying to add the amount of horsepower that superchargers provide, your car MUST be able to breath freely! A custom exhaust and some kind of aftermarket air intake system are mandatory if you want the power you are paying for.
Old 7/29/04, 01:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

You forgot about adding different fuel injectors. That is probably the #1 priority besides opening up the intake when adding a SC.

BTW, kevin the reason why some people don't take their cars to dealers for service is because some dealers like to $%&# people in the hiney on service charges.
Old 7/29/04, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've NEVER taken any of the 50-some vehicles I've owned to a dealer (I do my own work 95% of the time though), and I've also never bought a car from a dealer, although I did buy a motorcycle from a shop my friend owns.
Old 7/29/04, 02:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by kevinb120+July 29, 2004, 11:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kevinb120 @ July 29, 2004, 11:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-crazyhorse@July 29, 2004, 10:41 AM
It wont. Gas stations better open up snack shops if they havent already. Why the heck anyone would go outside a dealer for service is beyond me on modern cars. [/b][/quote]
I've lucked out. My step-dad has been a mechanic for over twenty years (working both modern and classsic cars). He helps me with any repairs I need. He is teaching me how to use the $100k worth of tools he has in his garage so he can pass them down to me.

But if the car is still under warranty I'll bring it to the dealer to not void anything.
Old 7/29/04, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

BTW, 2005Muzzy, I'm assuming you already know this, but if not:

The big downfall to a supercharger (besides the $3K price tag) is that you have to run premium fuel.

Also, I've done a bit of research on SCs, and I think the best one on the market is the Kenne Bell. Cobras use Eatons, which are roots type SCs. If you want more info. go the the Kenne Bell website (kennebell.net or .com). They also have dyno charts there showing how much HP they gained on a 2003 Mustang. If you buy an intercooled kit from them, I think I remeber the dyno saying they gained 150 hp.
Old 7/30/04, 07:40 AM
Bullitt Member

For all out horsepower I would have to go with the Procharger set up. They have a few mustangs with their systems in the 6's, which is to my knowledge more than any other SC system out there, only the turbos are putting out that much hp. I talked to the people at Procharger and they told me the can get a 03-04 stang Cobras up to 650 RWHP on pump gas. This is what I was told at least!
Old 7/30/04, 07:51 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by dallasw77@July 30, 2004, 7:43 AM
For all out horsepower I would have to go with the Procharger set up. They have a few mustangs with their systems in the 6's, which is to my knowledge more than any other SC system out there, only the turbos are putting out that much hp. I talked to the people at Procharger and they told me the can get a 03-04 stang Cobras up to 650 RWHP on pump gas. This is what I was told at least!
You are comparing apples to Oranges. The 03-04 Cobra motors are set up for forced induction with a lower compression ratio and forged pistons from the factory, whereas the 2005 Mustang will have a higher compression ratio and hyper pistons. If you put more than 10 lbs of boost to the stock motor, you'll eventually going to blow it up. The Stock 03-04 Cobra motor can take tremendous amounts of boost if setup correctly.

Unless you plan on investing large amounts of capital into an 05, you'll be limited on how much boost you can run without blowing it up.
Old 7/30/04, 08:44 AM
Bullitt Member

I wasn't trying to compare the 05 to the cobra's just giving my opinion on which I think is the better supercharger out there. But I didn't know the 05 has the hyper pistons. So that is good to know! B)
Old 7/30/04, 12:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

05 Mustang has 9.8 compression, last year's Cobra had 8.5. I actually expected the new Mustang to be higher than that, but it's cool for us who are planning on supercharging.

That Procharger system is pretty good, just expensive (not that KBs aren't).
Old 7/30/04, 02:01 PM
GT Member

9.8 compression sounds like premium gas???
Old 7/30/04, 02:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kevinb120+July 29, 2004, 11:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kevinb120 @ July 29, 2004, 11:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-crazyhorse@July 29, 2004, 10:41 AM
It wont. Gas stations better open up snack shops if they havent already. Why the heck anyone would go outside a dealer for service is beyond me on modern cars. [/b][/quote]
My point isn't for service, it is for modification. The law is for service, but, they are trying to make PCMs more friendly to non-dealers. This, in turn, makes mods easier to access.

As an aside, I trust my buddy's (high volume) service center far more than my local Ford dealer. Every time I have had Ford fix one of my cars, they screwed it up. Stupid things like leaving bolts loose and careless mistakes like that.
Old 7/30/04, 07:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by kevinb120+July 29, 2004, 1:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kevinb120 @ July 29, 2004, 1:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-crazyhorse@July 29, 2004, 10:41 AM
The labor rate were I live at the dealers in town is about 60.00 an hour and independent shops about 30.00. I think it is all about the money.
Old 7/30/04, 07:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse+July 30, 2004, 4:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (crazyhorse @ July 30, 2004, 4:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by kevinb120@July 29, 2004, 11:13 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-crazyhorse
@July 29, 2004, 10:41 AM

It wont. Gas stations better open up snack shops if they havent already. Why the heck anyone would go outside a dealer for service is beyond me on modern cars.
My point isn't for service, it is for modification. The law is for service, but, they are trying to make PCMs more friendly to non-dealers. This, in turn, makes mods easier to access.

As an aside, I trust my buddy's (high volume) service center far more than my local Ford dealer. Every time I have had Ford fix one of my cars, they screwed it up. Stupid things like leaving bolts loose and careless mistakes like that. [/b][/quote]
I have had bad experiences with dealer repair also, seems like it always takes more to fix it than one trip , or they cant find anything wrong with it but it still is messing up as you are leaving the lot, that really p##%ed me off one time.

Quick Reply: Super charger question?