2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Sunroofs - Maximum size?

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/04, 04:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by HairyCanary+June 18, 2004, 7:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HairyCanary @ June 18, 2004, 7:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Decipher@June 18, 2004, 1:13 AM
Do NOT bash imports because of this post - I will flame anyone who does like there is no tomorrow.
Imports suck hiney.

Bring it on, I want to see this... [/b][/quote]
Sorry, but it's really hard to take someone seriously when they're restricted by the word filter and have to say "hiney".
Old 6/18/04, 04:59 PM
scs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea...to be back in Austin B) was there for 20 years

Would definitely have been a rag top if I was still there...

Now midwest, MN and 2 months open roof versus 9-10-11 open in Big A...

At least with pop-up glass I can get my dose of light to cover SADs in winter up here... :scratch:

I'll spend about 2.5 hours a day commuting in this thing...

Fresh air... highway driving ~65mph (not city)...

Need a wind deflector? Works up to 72mph?

Folded rag type top might flap abit.....

Results from Ford today: Scheduled, Build confirmed!
Old 6/20/04, 12:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I Must Agree On The Point of Not Wanting a Sliding SunRoof. My Family have had Several Cars with Sliding Sun/Moon Roofs and EVERY ONE of them has Leaked!

My Mom had to have her 92Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE's Moonroof repaired as the trough where the roof stores rusted in the back corners and water kept coming in and getting in her JBL Stereo Amps and Shorting them out.

I had an 83 Avanti, and I LOVED the Car but I HATED To Drive it in the Rain, I may as well have opened the roof because it leaked so bad I got soaked .

The Only Sunroof I have Ever liked was on my Mom's 84 Thunderbird Elan', it was a Pop Up Removeable type and the only problem we had with it was the fact she Never Opened it so the Seal got compressed and dried out so it had to be replaced after a few years but this was Cheep and Simple to fix.

The Seal cost like $25, and all you had to do was remove the roof and pull the seal off of the Metal Flange, like most new car door seals are mounted, and put the new one back on. I also cleaned the trough every time I washed the car and kept it waxed so no rust ever formed.

I would Love to Have a Removeable Sunroof In the New Stang but I think the age of the removeable sunroof has past.

Of Course There is Always New Technology coming out like the Sun/Moon Roof on the new Pontiac G6. I bet this thing will be a real NIGHTMARE!
Old 6/20/04, 02:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Okay, c'mon people. EVERY car today has a power sunroof (or moonroof), from inexpensive Mazda 3s to $100,000 Bimmers.

This is a useless debate. Ford didn't offer it for the same reason that they don't offer HID or NAV as options - they're cutting costs everywhere they can to keep the car affordable, and judging from most of the posters here, Stang owners don't care about sunroofs anyhoo.

Personally, however, I believe the Stang should offer an upscale option package consisting of the roof, HIDs, NAV, and maybe a couple of other goodies.

It sucks to have a car that can run with an M3 and look the part on the outside, then the moment you step inside, it's Spartan city with no modern amenities...as the M3 owner walks away laughing to himself.
Old 6/20/04, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Robert@June 20, 2004, 12:16 AM
as the M3 owner walks away laughing to himself.
Actually, you have that backwards. The Mustang owner is the one laughing -- as cool as the M3 is, it also costs twice as much. And I can assure you that for an extra $25k I can make my Mustang GT *much* cooler than a stock M3 (looks, power, etc).

I do agree with your point that it would be nice to have some toys as options. Perhaps the Cobra will. I'll just buy the Pioneer in-dash DVD navigation system aftermarket. The Mustang has historically been a trade-off -- instead of toys, you get a nice powertrain -- most cars making the GT's power level cost $5- to $10-grand more.
Old 6/20/04, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by HairyCanary+June 20, 2004, 8:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HairyCanary @ June 20, 2004, 8:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Robert@June 20, 2004, 12:16 AM
as the M3 owner walks away laughing to himself.
Actually, you have that backwards. The Mustang owner is the one laughing -- as cool as the M3 is, it also costs twice as much. And I can assure you that for an extra $25k I can make my Mustang GT *much* cooler than a stock M3 (looks, power, etc).

I do agree with your point that it would be nice to have some toys as options. Perhaps the Cobra will. I'll just buy the Pioneer in-dash DVD navigation system aftermarket. The Mustang has historically been a trade-off -- instead of toys, you get a nice powertrain -- most cars making the GT's power level cost $5- to $10-grand more.[/b][/quote]
Your points are valid, I admit. I would just like to see a no-compromise Mustang that costs a little more money, and gets a little closer to being competitive with cars like the M3 in feature content. I mean, let's face it - the Mutang LOOKS amazing (best one in 35 years, IMHO), so it would be nice to raise the bar a little higher still.

The M3 is a much more sophisticated car in almost all respects...even the interior plastics and finish is waaaay better. What bugs me is that in 1969, whatever BMW's equivalent to the M3 was back then, was NOT waaaay better than the 1969 Mustang - they were much closer in overall quality, and in fact, the Stang may have had the edge.

Things have changed, and I'd like to see us more competitive quality-wise with the Euro and Japanese products, LIKE WE USED TO BE! Even though the '05 Stang is a huge step up from the previous version, the interior still demonstrates a lot of cheap bits here and there...notably the center stack and console plastics.
Old 6/20/04, 08:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sunroofs are not for Mustangs. Its just the way it is. I wouldnt think twice about getting a moonroof on an explorer, a bmw, or even a focus, I would never put a sunroof in a 'stang.
Old 6/20/04, 08:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Robert@June 20, 2004, 3:16 AM
Okay, c'mon people. EVERY car today has a power sunroof (or moonroof), from inexpensive Mazda 3s to $100,000 Bimmers.

This is a useless debate. Ford didn't offer it for the same reason that they don't offer HID or NAV as options - they're cutting costs everywhere they can to keep the car affordable, and judging from most of the posters here, Stang owners don't care about sunroofs anyhoo.

Personally, however, I believe the Stang should offer an upscale option package consisting of the roof, HIDs, NAV, and maybe a couple of other goodies.

It sucks to have a car that can run with an M3 and look the part on the outside, then the moment you step inside, it's Spartan city with no modern amenities...as the M3 owner walks away laughing to himself.
I could sell you a brand new stang with HID converted headlights,7" Flip up nav unit, dvd's in the sun visors and headrests, a power moonroof, heated seats, and reverse sensing, 19" forged alloy wheels with hi-po tires, even have it lowered if you want it, and still fully finaced through FMCC.

Would still be hella cheaper then the basic german-camry version 3 series.

do you have ANY idea of what a loaded M3 is(hids and nav are options too btw, and they make you buy other packages with it)??? What planet are you on comparing it to mustang equipment? Try 55 THOUSAND dollars plus dealer mark-up over sticker, with no special financing dude
Old 6/20/04, 09:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Robert@June 20, 2004, 3:42 PM
I would just like to see a no-compromise Mustang that costs a little more money, and gets a little closer to being competitive with cars like the M3 in feature content.
Let's give Ford the benefit of the doubt -- when BMW released the new 3-series, it was a couple years before the M3 came out based on the new car. Along the same timeline, Ford will release the SVT Mustang in 2007, about two years from now -- this is their opportunity to make a world class Mustang, and I'm really hoping they do. (I also hope that the market for used '05 GT's is good enough so that I can at least get what I owe on mine... )

Dave
Old 6/20/04, 09:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Decipher@June 18, 2004, 2:37 PM
Sorry, but it's really hard to take someone seriously when they're restricted by the word filter and have to say "hiney".
I agree. The word I used was three letters and rhymes with grass. The word filter automatically replaced it with hiney.
Old 6/20/04, 09:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by kevinb120+June 20, 2004, 8:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kevinb120 @ June 20, 2004, 8:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Robert@June 20, 2004, 3:16 AM

I could sell you a brand new stang with HID converted headlights,7" Flip up nav unit, dvd's in the sun visors and headrests, a power moonroof, heated seats, and reverse sensing, 19" forged alloy wheels with hi-po tires, even have it lowered if you want it, and still fully finaced through FMCC.

do you have ANY idea of what a loaded M3 is(hids and nav are options too btw, and they make you buy other packages with it)??? What planet are you on comparing it to mustang equipment? Try 55 THOUSAND dollars plus dealer mark-up over sticker, with no special financing dude [/b][/quote]
Boy - once that stang is loaded up with that equipment, I could just imagine what the repair bills would be to maintain all those new goodies. There is a premium paid for the privilege of owning and maintaining an upscale european car. I'm not saying that it does not cost $$ to maintain the Mustang, but just like the original car price it is much more affordable.
Old 6/20/04, 09:29 PM
V6 Member

I completely agree with you kevinb!
Old 6/21/04, 12:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

We can and do modify cars like that all the time Mostly bling bling SUV's though.
Old 6/21/04, 12:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by HairyCanary+June 20, 2004, 8:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HairyCanary @ June 20, 2004, 8:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Decipher@June 18, 2004, 2:37 PM
I agree. The word I used was three letters and rhymes with grass. The word filter automatically replaced it with hiney. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, I know, but I just didn't want to start a fight. I was just making an empty threat in that post about imports.
Old 6/21/04, 01:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by kevinb120+June 20, 2004, 8:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kevinb120 @ June 20, 2004, 8:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Robert@June 20, 2004, 3:16 AM

do you have ANY idea of what a loaded M3 is(hids and nav are options too btw, and they make you buy other packages with it)??? What planet are you on comparing it to mustang equipment? Try 55 THOUSAND dollars plus dealer mark-up over sticker, with no special financing dude [/b][/quote]
Yeah, man, I get all that, but you have to remember that the "big three" are way behind the eight ball when it comes to quality for the dollar. I mean, the Thunderbird was a great example. It cost $60K here in Canada, and the interior, fit and finish, and luxury features were subpar compared to an Infiniti G35 sport coupe costing NINE GRAND less! And that Infiniti also had integrated NAV - something the Thunderbird never had (nor will, since it's gonesville). The Infiniti also handled and drove circles around the Thunderbird.

And the Lincoln LS has never been much of a success. There's too much quality competition coming from overseas; better products for the same or less money in equivalent market segments.

That's what pisses me off.

And it still doesn't explain why I can get a sunroof (a sporting option, IMHO) in a Toyota Camry, but NOT in a Mustang, which is a dedicated sports coupe.