2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Sunroofs

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/07, 10:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm torn between getting a sunroof installed, installing a glassback, or leaving it alone. My last two cars had sunroofs, and I REALLY enjoyed being able to open it up and let the wind blow through, or even just have the shade open and see the sky a bit. Plus, I'm tall, so the extra space and the window overhead made it feel somehow roomier.

I was disappointed that the Mustangs didn't have a sunroof option. I know I can get one from Hollandia, but I would have rather had a Ford-designed option. A vert would be nice, but it's not always possible to put the top down around here...but you can slide back a little bit of the sunroof once in a while.

I wish CDC would make their glassback roof retractable. If it could slide back, just double-up the rear window, that'd be awesome.
Old 2/9/07, 03:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Personally, I don't see the reasoning behind spending almost $4000 for a glassback. I agree that it looks good, but for that type of money, why not just get a vert?? Especially since the glass roof doesn't open, like it does on other cars (ie-Porshe, Mercedes).
Old 2/9/07, 05:05 AM
GT Member

Anyone have a price for the sunroof. Anyone doing a moonroof option????/
Old 2/9/07, 07:56 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I just dont know about the sunroofs. I like them, but only in certain cars. The glassback is an awesome look, but I wish that they would slide back. The 07 Saleens have an option for that roof, I believe.
Old 2/9/07, 08:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Personally, I don't see the reasoning behind spending almost $4000 for a glassback. I agree that it looks good, but for that type of money, why not just get a vert?? Especially since the glass roof doesn't open, like it does on other cars (ie-Porshe, Mercedes).
Yeah, I'll definately be waiting a bit more for the price to simmer down. That is, if I decide to go that direction.

I'm waiting to see what Ford does. If rumors of them developing/producing a hardtop convertable are true, I'll just trade mine in for one of those...
Old 2/9/07, 01:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Glassback and love it!

I have the Glassback and love it. It gives me a huge sunroof without loosing that sexy fastback roof line. The verts lines are not cool. The cost was high but I won $4,000 dollars gambling in Reno and you can guess what I used it on. Honestly I would have still bought the Glassback even if I didn't win the money but it would had taken longer.
Attached Images   
Old 2/9/07, 02:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks great Derek!
Old 2/9/07, 02:54 PM
Cobra R Member

It does look great...I just wish it was retractable
Old 2/9/07, 11:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mustang_lurkers
I have the Glassback and love it. It gives me a huge sunroof without loosing that sexy fastback roof line. The verts lines are not cool. The cost was high but I won $4,000 dollars gambling in Reno and you can guess what I used it on. Honestly I would have still bought the Glassback even if I didn't win the money but it would had taken longer.
Sweet! That almost makes me not want to pommel you for mentioning that filthy reno money! You lucky bahstad!

Originally Posted by mikes rx
It does look great...I just wish it was retractable
Again, amen. 'Course, if it was retractable...it'd pratically be a vert.

Maybe if Ford produces a hardtop vert, CDC will make glass panels for it so you could have a glassback vert? That'd be sick.
Old 2/10/07, 05:41 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Arrow

Maybe if Ford produces a hardtop vert, CDC will make glass panels for it so you could have a glassback vert? That'd be sick.
The only difference is that a vert has a top that needs to be replaced after about 5-7 years .

A panaoramic hardtop vert would be AWESOME....it would be like the Mercedes SL class.
Old 2/10/07, 05:57 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Arrow
Sweet! That almost makes me not want to pommel you for mentioning that filthy reno money! You lucky bahstad!

OHHHHH, DUDE
that'd be friggin schweet!
Old 2/12/07, 06:40 AM
Banned

I stopped gambling when I had enough to buy the roof but I still need money for the suspension and a big brake kit. My wife has put me on a parts embargo so no more upgrades for me unless I get a second job to pay for them. I've got upgrade fever and I would even flip burgers for money to buy more parts!
Old 2/12/07, 03:10 PM

http://www.jmsproductsinc.com/homepage.html

i know of this company
Old 2/12/07, 03:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by shadyside856
Thank you. JMS is the company I was thinking of. Like I said, once someone posted the name, I knew I would be able to recognize it.
Old 2/12/07, 04:35 PM

I don't care for the glass back roof -
The verts look much better and give you fresh air too.
Old 2/12/07, 06:13 PM
GT Member

i saw one parked on the street in LA. At first I did a double take...sunroof on a Mustang? I will say it looked pretty good but just not right. can't explain it. It was larger than many I see here and reminded me of my old 1989 GT with a sunroof when parked side by side with smaller after-market ones. having said that I think I have to agree with those that have expressed reservations. First, it's just not done, and second it's cutting your roof! As yourself if you would buy a car with an after-market chop? Well, I wouldn't. Save some $$$ or buy a 05 or 06 convertible and be done with it.
Old 2/12/07, 07:10 PM
GT Member

I thought these things went out with disco.
Old 2/13/07, 11:59 AM
Banned

Another reason I like having the glass roof is that it is much more rare than the verts. It is a novelty plus it didn't cause me to lose those sexy fast back lines.
Old 2/13/07, 02:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mustang_lurkers
Another reason I like having the glass roof is that it is much more rare than the verts. It is a novelty plus it didn't cause me to lose those sexy fast back lines.
Hey, as a guy that had a sunroof in his 1979 Cobra, 1982 GT, 1984 GT and 1989 GT, I don't disagree! But I would never ever ever ever ever let ANYONE cut a hole in my roof. What do you do 10, 15, 20 years from now when the glass breakes or something. At least with a factory option there are 3rd parties that always step in. Heck I can still buy stuff for my 79! Try that with some after-market stuff. hey, I don't begrudge anyone wanting to do it just saying I wouldn't want to take the chance, at least with a car I was going to keep.

As always, your milage may very!
Old 2/13/07, 02:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Bring back the T-tops
Another vote!

Quick Reply: Sunroofs