Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which strut tower brace

Search this Thread

Old 10/15/07, 02:36 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Which strut tower brace

...works with the OEM/Ford intake manifold cover and won't ever rust/break apart?

This might have been covered in the past but I did some searching and didn't find what I need.
Old 10/15/07, 05:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ut+tower+brace

available from bmrfabrication. red or grey
Attached Thumbnails Which strut tower brace-stb011-1-.jpg  
Old 10/15/07, 06:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yup, I'd say BMR too. Their stuff is great!
Old 10/17/07, 03:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the BMR also, it works fine with the intake cover.
Attached Thumbnails Which strut tower brace-1.jpg  
Old 10/17/07, 04:45 AM
GTR Member

Does it interfere with the stock hood liner?
I noticed the nuts for the strut tower mounts aren't as tightened down due to the thickness of the strut tower bar.
Old 10/17/07, 05:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
Does it interfere with the stock hood liner?
I noticed the nuts for the strut tower mounts aren't as tightened down due to the thickness of the strut tower bar.
As for the BMR, mine does not rub the hood liner. I don't have any rub marks on the liner or the bar. I do remember that there were some rub issues with '05-'06 liners when people had retrofitted the intake cover and the paint was rubbing off of the cover but that has nothing to do with the bar, I would assume that on those years there would be a possibility of it rubbing the bar but on the upside the bar would keep the liner from rubbing on the painted surface of the intake cover. We don't have this issue on the '07s because I think they redesigned the hood liner ( or just attached it better ) so that they did not have rub issues from the factory. As for the nuts you are correct they are not as far down on the bolt because of the bar mount this would be true with any brand because it is essentially the same as putting a washer or 2 under the nuts they are however still tightened to factory specs and there is plenty of threads on the studs so it is a non-issue and when I put in my lowering springs several months later they were still nice and tight so no problems there.
Old 10/17/07, 06:25 AM
Cobra Member

Here are a couple of others that you may want to consider.

Strange Development's Extra Clearance Strut
https://www.strangedevelopment.com/S...od&productId=5

Agent 47's Double Barrel Strut Brace
http://www.agentfortyseven.com/S197/doublebarrel.html
Old 10/17/07, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What exactly does this strut tower brace do for you? I have mine lowered with Eibach springs, so the suspension is a bit stiff as it is. Would this make it even worse?
Old 10/17/07, 05:24 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,610 Posts
Does anyone know if the GT500 strut tower brace would be compatable ? I'm really not sure if there's a height difference between the regular GT hood, over the GT500
Old 10/17/07, 06:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by colbymh
What exactly does this strut tower brace do for you? I have mine lowered with Eibach springs, so the suspension is a bit stiff as it is. Would this make it even worse?
I'm with you... been searching for the true purpose of these braces. Does this make handling tighter with less chassis roll?
Old 10/17/07, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Larmo
I'm with you... been searching for the true purpose of these braces. Does this make handling tighter with less chassis roll?
exactly, however it doesnt really do much for our cars. some cars take really well to them though

in the end, it is mainly an under-the-hood appearance mod that can be justified as a piece of suspention.

get an FRPP one
Old 10/17/07, 06:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Blue Oval Industries strut tower brace will fit over either the Midwest Auto, or the OEM Plenum Cover.
Attached Thumbnails Which strut tower brace-struttowerbrace-042-large-.jpg   Which strut tower brace-struttowerbrace-001-large-.jpg  
Old 10/17/07, 07:07 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,610 Posts
I know someone who has the STB from Blue Oval Industries. But he also confirms, that it puts indentation marks, in his hood liner as well !
Old 10/17/07, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I know someone who has the STB from Blue Oval Industries. But he also confirms, that it puts indentation marks, in his hood liner as well !
Yep, I would concur with that......
Old 10/17/07, 08:57 PM
Cobra Member

...works with the OEM/Ford intake manifold cover and won't ever rust/break apart?

This might have been covered in the past but I did some searching and didn't find what I need.
metroplex, get the agent 47 strut bar. not only does it look great, its design is very well engineered.
Old 10/17/07, 08:58 PM
Cobra Member

agent 47 strut bar

metroplex, get the agent 47 strut bar. not only does it look great, its design is very well engineered.
Old 10/18/07, 09:04 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Got Oatz
The Blue Oval Industries strut tower brace will fit over either the Midwest Auto, or the OEM Plenum Cover.
I like this one if it wouldnt hit the insulator like everyone says.
Old 10/18/07, 12:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Larmo
It does, but to what extent is more the issue. The lower control arm brace, such as the G-trac, the CHE k-member brace, or even the OEM version used on all convertibles and 08-up coupes does have some benefits. Its a simple piece that supports the bottom of the K-member and reduces flexing under loads, and may be part of the cause for strut tower cap problems. I would probably install that first before a strut tower brace. Its not so much a direct handling modification per se like a different sway bar, they are intended to keep flexing to a minimum so the suspension's geometry doesn't change slightly under load. I think the body is plenty strong up top for most people, but the k-member flexing slightly is an issue. At least that's a sub $100 modification.

Steeda claims their strut tower brace now clears the plenum covers, thought they didn't before??
Old 10/18/07, 02:18 PM
GTR Member

Will the 06-up convertible lower brace fit all coupes? Does anyone have a photo or two?
Old 10/18/07, 03:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
It does, but to what extent is more the issue. The lower control arm brace, such as the G-trac, the CHE k-member brace, or even the OEM version used on all convertibles and 08-up coupes does have some benefits. Its a simple piece that supports the bottom of the K-member and reduces flexing under loads, and may be part of the cause for strut tower cap problems. I would probably install that first before a strut tower brace. Its not so much a direct handling modification per se like a different sway bar, they are intended to keep flexing to a minimum so the suspension's geometry doesn't change slightly under load. I think the body is plenty strong up top for most people, but the k-member flexing slightly is an issue. At least that's a sub $100 modification.

Steeda claims their strut tower brace now clears the plenum covers, thought they didn't before??
You know, that is an interesting point you bring up about the G-trac brace and the strut tower cap bearing problems. I have the CHE version of this brace and try as I might, I can't nuke my strut bearings (it's easier to justify the new MM caster/camber plates to the wife if a part is broken! ).

Quick Reply: Which strut tower brace