2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Stolen Stangs

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/06, 10:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all,
Just curious and we all better knock on wood after this? has anyone had there stang stolen or signs that someone has tried to steal it or know anyone who has had their new baby's stolen. I just haven't read any threads about and was just curious.
Old 2/16/06, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
One of the cheapest deterents is putting the Club on your steering wheel. I always lock the Club on my Mustang wherever we park. The thiefs are going to steal the car that is the easiest to steal. When they see the Club they probably will move on to an easier target. I've never had any problems with someone trying to steal my car. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/16/06, 11:19 AM
Cobra Member

It's true what you wrote about the club, but if they want it bad enough, they will try.
Old 2/16/06, 12:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I guess you never saw the special on how easy it is to take off one of those? If a guy wants in he just brings a hack saw and saws right through the steering wheel. The club slips right out.
Old 2/16/06, 12:18 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yup, the pros can remove the club and drive away in less than 10 seconds. All you are stopping are the honest criminals [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

As for theft, a while back there was a post regarding a stang that was stolen off of a lot and later found trashed.
Old 2/16/06, 01:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adrenalin @ February 16, 2006, 1:21 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
yup, the pros can remove the club and drive away in less than 10 seconds. All you are stopping are the honest criminals [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

As for theft, a while back there was a post regarding a stang that was stolen off of a lot and later found trashed.
[/b][/quote]

If someone steals your stang and trashes it, that is a perfect example of when it should be legal to [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/uzi.gif[/img] someone. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/16/06, 04:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I almost had mine stolen, 2 days in a row. i was asleep, working nites, just b4 9:00pm. Woke up then, turned on my lights in my room and heard "here he comes!" and they took off, i couldnt react fast enough cuz i wasnt truely awake. I dont know if they wanted my car or radio but i did report it. I'm prolly getting the club.
Old 2/16/06, 05:36 PM
GT Member

prolly? you should get a couple of them [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Old 2/16/06, 06:00 PM
Bullitt Member

the clubs one of the worst anti-theft devices.

Not only is it easy it bypass as stated above.
You can also use it to break the steering lock with the extra leverage, using the club itself.

Get yourself a paging alarm system. ANd put a promiximity sensor on it. They have it programmed to notify your pager-fob when someone gets too close.
Old 2/16/06, 06:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
All I'm saying is that the club is an inexpensive deterent. I don't think typical punks that are roaming parking lots thinking of stealing a car carry a hacksaw with them. Also if they are wanting to steal a car they probably want to steal the one that is easier to steal. If they want your Mustang, of course they will do everything they can to steal it. But why make it easy for them.

This brings up another question. If the standard antitheft system on our cars requires a coded key in the ignition to start the car, how can they start your car without the key in the ignition. Well, ..... um maybe we shouldn't tell them on this forum in case there are any would be car thieves lurking in our forums. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/16/06, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scarpi @ February 16, 2006, 8:11 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
All I'm saying is that the club is an inexpensive deterent. I don't think typical punks that are roaming parking lots thinking of stealing a car carry a hacksaw with them. Also if they are wanting to steal a car they probably want to steal the one that is easier to steal. If they want your Mustang, of course they will do everything they can to steal it. But why make it easy for them.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I had a cop tell me this years ago. It does make sense. He said most cars are stolen by punk kids. If they see something that makes it harder, they move on. The club also might save your car from being torn up by punks breaking in, destroying the dash only to find some other anti theft that makes them unable to steal your car. If they see the deterent , they move on. If a pro wants your car, they are going to get it no matter what you have as far as anti theft. Only help there is LoJack.
Old 2/16/06, 09:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I saw this thing on tv where they had car theives take the club off in like 2 seconds. They were advertising something like this.

http://www.wonderfulbuys.ca/autolock/autolock.html

You cant get the car into gear if you can't push in the brake or clutch.
Old 2/16/06, 10:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tw0scoops123 @ February 16, 2006, 11:05 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I guess you never saw the special on how easy it is to take off one of those? If a guy wants in he just brings a hack saw and saws right through the steering wheel. The club slips right out.
[/b][/quote]

I used to think that the Club was a great anti-theft device for my car...until late one night after working 18 hours (regular plus overtime) I found I was stranded when the lock jammed on the Club and I had to call AAA to send a locksmith out to help me.
The guy broke the Club off the steering wheel in less then five minutes and I was on my way home.
I have the Active Antitheft Alarm on my car and LoJack. I'm also thinking about getting the system below installed as soon as I have the money to buy it.

Ravalco
Old 2/17/06, 06:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Maybe you're better off just removing the car battery at night, so they won't even be able to start the car :-P
Old 2/17/06, 06:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1200custom @ February 16, 2006, 10:38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Only help there is LoJack.
[/b][/quote]

The biggest problem is that LoJack doesnt do poo outside of the US. My friend was in Canada with his F-350 and it was stolen from the hotel he was staying at...and he had LoJack. His truck is somewhere in South America/Africa or the Middle East right now... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilies23.gif[/img]
Old 2/17/06, 06:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Well since we have drifted to that part.... Anyone else know of a good alarm system that is out there now?

My '99 Mustang convertible had its top cut in twice. The second time they ripped out the custom stereo I had in the car. It was one of the few times I left my car out of the garage, was staining some furniture, and they cut into it. It also happened to be the night that it had stormed a lot so I had two inches of water in the floor board as well.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

..and yes I did have an alarm in it that was suppossedly great.
Old 2/17/06, 07:17 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tw0scoops123 @ February 17, 2006, 8:23 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Maybe you're better off just removing the car battery at night, so they won't even be able to start the car :-P
[/b][/quote]

Funny you say that. On my 97 I had a kill switch installed on the starter cable. The switch looked like a breaker and was placed in the engine compartment. All I had to do was pop the hood and hit the switch. The alarm still worked and there was no way they could start the car. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] But that was only because it was an automatic.
Old 2/17/06, 09:32 AM
Cobra Member

Perimiter sensors are always a plus++++++.

Thoughts?

I also had a divice called a Multilock. This thing was great. It bolted to the frame of my car (Honda at the time) and a metal plate came into the car cabin right next to the shifter. On the end of the plate was a locking divice which a bolt that surrounds the shifter goes into the lock on the plate. So basically if someone got in the car, you would not be able to shift the car AT ALL. They would need a blow torch to get it off, the only option to get the car would be with a flat bed.
They broke into this car like 3 times (I had a custom stereo, which they couldn't get).
I was thining of going the same route with the stang, but didn't want to do that to the interior even though it looks very neat and organized.
Old 2/17/06, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torrence @ February 17, 2006, 11:35 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Perimiter sensors are always a plus++++++.

Thoughts?

I also had a divice called a Multilock. This thing was great. It bolted to the frame of my car (Honda at the time) and a metal plate came into the car cabin right next to the shifter. On the end of the plate was a locking divice which a bolt that surrounds the shifter goes into the lock on the plate. So basically if someone got in the car, you would not be able to shift the car AT ALL. They would need a blow torch to get it off, the only option to get the car would be with a flat bed.
They broke into this car like 3 times (I had a custom stereo, which they couldn't get).
I was thining of going the same route with the stang, but didn't want to do that to the interior even though it looks very neat and organized.
[/b][/quote]

How bout Sentry guns? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/17/06, 10:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Its inherrently almost impossible to start the modern Ford without a key to start with. If a pro wants it, they just grab it with a tow truck in all of 15 seconds.

A budy of mine owns a tow company that does appartment complexes, private lots, and repo's. He can go to a local bar that parks cars in other owner's lots, grab them and stage them in another lot down the street for the other guys to take to the main impound. If it was not legit, and they had a car carrier, they could get 8 cars in about 15 minutes(with two tow trucks 15 no problem), and alarms, clubs, locks, special keys, etc mean NOTHING. Nothing stops him from getting it. He NEVER gets pulled over when he does this either, anyone would just assume they parked illegaly or broke down.

Quick Reply: Stolen Stangs