2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Steep Driveway Entrance + Chin Spoiler; Solutions?

Old 5/27/10, 05:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steep Driveway Entrance + Chin Spoiler; Solutions?

OK, I was wondering if anyone had some good and/or creative solutions to protect your chin spoiler when driving up steep driveways, especially from anyone that has a chin spoiler and has their Mustang lowered. I try the usual approaches of trying to enter and exit at as much of an angle as I can, but it still scrapes. ....and my Stang isn't even lowered yet. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas...and for arguments sake, let's assume it's your own driveway. Should I do something to the car, or the driveway. Thoughts?

As a reference point, I have the CDC classic chin. It doesn't seem to have clearance issues at very many places, just the select steep driveway here and there.
Old 5/27/10, 07:33 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tried backing up the driveway? A friend of mine has a Supra and his driveway has a terrible angle. Backing it in slowly, he doesn't really scrape.
Old 5/27/10, 07:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I was just going to say the same. Back in at an angle. Works great for me...
Old 5/27/10, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

No kidding? For some reason, I just assumed backing in would be worse. Not sure why, just had it in my head. I might have to give that a shot. The odd thing is that it doesn't scrape when I pull in, only when I back out. Go figure.

I had also wondered about getting a piece of metal fabricated to go on the underside of the chin spoiler. I think I had seen another member that had done that, but couldn't recall who or where. I was thinking maybe the metal would hold up better than the plastic.
Old 5/27/10, 08:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It's hard to compare our cars as I'm a lowered SN95, but I scrape the chin spoiler going in and backing out (front first). But if I back in and back out, nothing scrapes. Worth a shot though, right?

I see you have a 99 V6. I have a 00 V6, lowered with Eibach Pro-kit and MM Bilstein S/S. Mach 1 chin spoiler, GT rear bumper and custom dual exhaust. On some steep speedbumps I scrape the cats, but never the chin spoiler...

Last edited by laserred38; 5/27/10 at 08:59 PM.
Old 5/27/10, 10:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Patrick. Yeah, it's actually my '08 GT that scrapes. My '99 with the Mach chin is generally ok.
Old 5/28/10, 06:02 PM
GT Member

I have an 05GT that is lowered 1.5", and a CDC Agressive front spoiler. This became an on going battle for me right from the beginning. I painted my spoiler to match the car (Torch Red) but it was cracked and chipped in two months. So I sanded it all back down and painted it with rattle can Truck bed liner (without the grit). Every couple of weeks when detailing the car I just touch it up on the rubbed areas. You can never tell it was scuffed afterwood.

Last edited by Casey4s; 5/28/10 at 06:04 PM.
Old 5/28/10, 07:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Casey can you post where you got the rattle can liner?
Old 5/28/10, 11:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
It's hard to compare our cars as I'm a lowered SN95, but I scrape the chin spoiler going in and backing out (front first). But if I back in and back out, nothing scrapes. Worth a shot though, right?
Do you have a circle driveway? How are you backing in and backing out?
Old 5/29/10, 05:52 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Hey Casey can you post where you got the rattle can liner?
It's Dupli Color "Truck Bed Coating" in the blue rattle can. I got mine from AutoZone but just about everyone has it. Some of the other brands have GRIT in them for bed traction, so be careful what you buy.

I did my rear valance to match the spoiler with the same paint.

Old 5/29/10, 06:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the GT500 fascia on a car that's lowered, so scraping the front splitter was an issue, especially in the center, I can attest to the effectiveness of a "skidplate" of sorts.

The front plate mount on mine is a heavy gauge "L" shaped stainless plate the extends about 10" under the splitter. On the occasions when it does hit, the stainless tends to glide over the pavement rather than digging in and getting damaged.

Now obviously the CDC setup is a bit different, but fabbing up some sort of discreet metal protector unter the front edge would definitey help.
Old 5/31/10, 07:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Have the CDC Classic spoiler. The black liner paint is probably the best solution. I ended up just attaching it with the fender liner screws and not using the 3M tape in the middle which lets the spoiler "ride up" on the smaller bumps, etc. and spraying the underside with the liner paint. Definitely not the perfect solution but wanted to keep it body color.
Old 5/31/10, 11:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not try a piece of pipe in on the curb?

Or is the whole lower portion of the drive steep?
Old 5/31/10, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by NastyStang113
Do you have a circle driveway? How are you backing in and backing out?
No circle driveway unfortunately. When I drive in, nothing scrapes, it's only when I back out. I try to back out on an angle as much as I can, but it also depends a bit on where people are parked on the street.

Originally Posted by Casey4s
I have an 05GT that is lowered 1.5", and a CDC Agressive front spoiler. This became an on going battle for me right from the beginning. I painted my spoiler to match the car (Torch Red) but it was cracked and chipped in two months. So I sanded it all back down and painted it with rattle can Truck bed liner (without the grit). Every couple of weeks when detailing the car I just touch it up on the rubbed areas. You can never tell it was scuffed afterwood.
That looks really good. However, I have my CDC chin painted gloss black to match the car....

Originally Posted by Ranger
Have the CDC Classic spoiler. The black liner paint is probably the best solution. I ended up just attaching it with the fender liner screws and not using the 3M tape in the middle which lets the spoiler "ride up" on the smaller bumps, etc. and spraying the underside with the liner paint. Definitely not the perfect solution but wanted to keep it body color.
....So, I might have to alter that a little, like Ranger mentioned above, and just do the underside.

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
I have the GT500 fascia on a car that's lowered, so scraping the front splitter was an issue, especially in the center, I can attest to the effectiveness of a "skidplate" of sorts.

The front plate mount on mine is a heavy gauge "L" shaped stainless plate the extends about 10" under the splitter. On the occasions when it does hit, the stainless tends to glide over the pavement rather than digging in and getting damaged.

Now obviously the CDC setup is a bit different, but fabbing up some sort of discreet metal protector unter the front edge would definitey help.
I'm really liking this idea, as it seems like it would be pretty durable and I might even be able to design it where it has just a tiny bit sticking out to the front of the spoiler, so the "skid plate" hits any curbs prior to my chin spoiler. Just might depend on the cost to have something like this made.

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT
Why not try a piece of pipe in on the curb?

Or is the whole lower portion of the drive steep?
Well, the apron of the driveway is all steep, but trying to visualize how this would be done. I think I'm following it conceptually, but trying to determine how you would get the pipe to hold. Is the thought process basically to create a little "bump" at the beginning of the incline to get the spoiler up higher/quicker, and then decrease the degree of slope of the apron?

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I'm feeling a bit more encouraged that one of these solutions (or a combination of a couple) will get the job done.
Old 5/31/10, 03:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by UMich97

That looks really good. However, I have my CDC chin painted gloss black to match the car....

Oh Sorry you didn't say... there must be some kind of "elastic" gloss paint you could use somewhere. Maybe a coat of clear protectant would help.

(I used that bed paint on my old Jeep in the back ground of one of the photos... LOL)
Old 5/31/10, 03:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

No worries David...as you're right, I didn't specify. Plus, I appreciate all ideas and insights on this one, as it's a frustrating issue, but one I think a lot of us share. Maybe I'll head over to Autozone later this week and look around. Plus, I need to call a few shops to see if they could make a metal skid plate too. I think one of those options, along with possibly some minor updates to the drive should get me there.
Old 5/31/10, 03:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Is the thought process basically to create a little "bump" at the beginning of the incline to get the spoiler up higher/quicker, and then decrease the degree of slope of the apron?
That's it.
Old 6/3/10, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

You can try air suspension. It's expensive though.
Old 6/3/10, 11:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Backing?

I have a curb right before my steep driveway.... if I back in, then I have to pull out forwards.... when the wheels fall off the curb, the suspension gives and then I scrape.... I suppose maybe if I was REALLY slow that may not happen. but you cant fight gravity.
Old 6/4/10, 01:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Get a lift kit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steep Driveway Entrance + Chin Spoiler; Solutions?