2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Spontaniously cracking windshild...

Search this Thread

Old 11/28/05, 05:56 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since May, when I picked the car, I noticed what I thought was some glass warpage at the top center of the windshield. When the light hit it just right, you could see the glass going along nice and flat, then it would dip inward, then back to straight along across the remainder of the windshield. This is/was right at the top edge in the center of the glass.

Anyway, last night I notice I've got a crack in the winshield right there in front of the rear view mirror. WTF! There is no rock impact evidence. I'm the only one who has ever driven this car and I've never been hit by a rock.

Quote by Ford to replace windshield is ~$400.00. Ouch.

When I called about pricing, I explaind what I had seen... the guy at Ford said that "You'd have a hard time proving that the glass was defective" and "Did I want to order the glass?" He just dismissed me! It kind of irritated me.

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? Thanks for any thoughts you guys might want to share.

This really stinks.
Old 11/28/05, 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

I assume you have glass insurance. Put in a claim.
Old 11/28/05, 06:04 PM
GT Member

If there is no point of impact along the crack it could be what is considered a stress crack. If this is the case it would be a manufacturer defect and generally wouldl occur within a week of installation due to the cure time involved with the urethane sealant. You would need to perhaps have someone at an Auto Glass shop take a look at it to get an outside opinion. Dealers don't generally do their own installs so the person you were speaking with may not have a clue in how to determine if it should be a warranty issue. Hope you get it taken care of under warranty, if not check around, prices vary greatly and so does quality.
Old 11/28/05, 06:30 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by PONY XPRESS+November 28, 2005, 6:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PONY XPRESS @ November 28, 2005, 6:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I assume you have glass insurance. Put in a claim.
[/b]

$500.00 deductable.

<!--QuoteBegin-Whitestang06
@November 28, 2005, 6:07 PM
If there is no point of impact along the crack it could be what is considered a stress crack. If this is the case it would be a manufacturer defect and generally wouldl occur within a week of installation due to the cure time involved with the urethane sealant. You would need to perhaps have someone at an Auto Glass shop take a look at it to get an outside opinion. Dealers don't generally do their own installs so the person you were speaking with may not have a clue in how to determine if it should be a warranty issue. Hope you get it taken care of under warranty, if not check around, prices vary greatly and so does quality.
[/quote]

Generally within a week... well it's been 6 months. I'll get it looked at by an independent glass place.

Thanks guys.

Sam
Old 11/28/05, 09:45 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Florida law requires free windshield replacement by insurance co.....I hit a huge gooose or something once,drove it home,and repair co.was at my house next day.free of charge and a free box of steaks to boot.
Old 11/29/05, 01:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Sam, I hate to hear your dilemma on the glass. :angry: I got my passenger side glass replaced under warranty as defective when it had some minor chip on the edge. Sounds like you got shafted to this point.....
Old 11/29/05, 07:10 AM
Cobra Member

This stinks, but I've seen windows in 2 houses I've had built crack for no reason shortly after I moved in. I suspect your windshield was weak in the area that cracked because of the dip. I agree with the other posts that you aren't going to have an easy time proving the windshield just broke. A call to Ford Customer service might help.

I'd call around and get the best deal on a cash price. The rates very significantly in my area depending on whether or not you're using an insurance company. Also, the rates vary quite a bit between different glass replacement places. The biggest potential problem is that there may not be an aftermarket glass manufacturer for the windshield yet.
Old 11/29/05, 08:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take a close look at the length of the crack, if you run a ball point pen along it and the pen stops in a pit, it is quite possible that a small stone peck caused it. I have seen this on several vehicles. Just my $.02 worth.

Oh, BTW Ford glass warranty covers stress cracks for the first 12 months of ownership regardless of miles.
Old 11/29/05, 12:40 PM
Cobra Member

is the crack on the inside layer or the outside layer? that might be helpful to argue your point.... if it's on the inside anyways.