2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Speedometer question....?

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/05 | 11:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I've been noticing this lately when I come to a stop, the needle doesn't seem to go all the way back to zero. Maybe it's the way I'm looking at it, but it looks off for some reason. I've attached a pic of it, I was completely stopped when I took it. Anyone else notice this? I'd hate to take it in for something this petty....
Old 8/20/05 | 01:35 AM
Bullitt Member

This is because the car looks so fast, it actually fools the speedometer.
Old 8/20/05 | 08:18 AM
Cobra Member

What happens if you take the key out?
Old 8/20/05 | 09:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I stays the same even with the key out... although, when starting the car it will drop below the zero and then go back again. :scratch:
Old 11/1/05 | 11:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok, I've got this same problem on my 06 GT. The speedo sits above zero and what made me really notice is when driving on the freeway always getting passed. I installed a Pioneer AVIC-D1 and it's vehicle dynamics show my speed at 56 when my speedo says 60. When the car is off or idle the speedo sits above zero same as yours.

Does anyone else have this problem? I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer, for now I just drive 5mph above the speed limit.
Old 11/1/05 | 10:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by withinavoid@November 1, 2005, 12:12 PM
Ok, I've got this same problem on my 06 GT. The speedo sits above zero and what made me really notice is when driving on the freeway always getting passed. I installed a Pioneer AVIC-D1 and it's vehicle dynamics show my speed at 56 when my speedo says 60. When the car is off or idle the speedo sits above zero same as yours.
Maybe your Pioneer AVIC-D1 is off!

Did you guys that are expeirencing these problems change the factory wheels for aftermarket? If so then you will most likely need to recallibrate the speedo.

Also, try turning your cruise control on at 60mph, on the freeway/highway of course, and time your self inbetween mile markers.
If it takes you a minute between mile markers your speedo is good.

As far as your needle not resting exactly on 0, when stopped. I don't think it is really an issue as long as your speedo is accurate when you are moving.
Old 11/1/05 | 11:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

yeah, but if it is off by 3 or 4 mph, using the mile markers isnt going to be very exact, unless you do i tVERY precisely.
Old 11/2/05 | 01:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I took mine to the dealer about a month ago and they didn't do anything to fix it, they told me there was no recall for it and they were going to contact Ford to find out if it could be fixed... I think they just didn't want to bother with it. I'm living with it until I get pulled over and the cop tells me how fast I was going..

And my car is totally stock, wheels, suspension, gears.. speedo was like that since I picked it up from the dealer.
Old 11/2/05 | 09:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

My car is totally stock as well, got the factory 18in fanblades on it. I'm going to have my girlfriend cruise her car at 60mph while I drive the Stang to be absolutely sure. But it definitely feels like the speedo is off. And, mine is same as Kens, been like this since I picked it up from the dealer.
Old 11/3/05 | 09:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Last night I drove aside my girlfriend, she set the cruise at 60mph. My speedo said about 64/65 and my Pioneer AVIC-D1 said 60. Looks like the Pioneer does get an accurate signal from the vehicle computer. Guess I'll try my luck at the dealer to see if they can get the speedo needle corrected.
Old 11/3/05 | 11:36 AM
Cobra Member

3 or 4 mph off is a lot of variance. There shouldn't be more than a 1 mph variance at tripple digit speeds. Ford should fix this.
Old 12/5/05 | 08:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

My speedo is off by 3-4 mph also. Always has been. According to my portable GPS unit anyway. I ran a test using the IUPs average MPH function. I set the cruise at 70 according to the speedo, reset the average MPH readout, and watched (keeping my other eye on the road hehe) After a couple miles the readout settled at 66 mph. So, I nudge the cruise up four mph and reset the readout. When the mph digital readout showed 70, my speedo showed 74/75. DOH! No wonder I am always being passed by Hyundais and Kias.
Old 12/5/05 | 08:14 AM
Cobra Member

Maybe it's a safety issue?
I guess somebody will have to try it against a police laser gun
Old 12/5/05 | 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Louie@December 5, 2005, 9:17 AM
Maybe it's a safety issue?
I guess somebody will have to try it against a police laser gun

Dustin, I think you're the guy for this job...take one for the team!
Old 12/5/05 | 12:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Detroit has been purposly doing this with speedometers for decades. I did the same thing as 2K5GTC did a few months ago on mine and got the same results. It's just a little gap to help keep from getting tickets I guess, complements of the automakers. You can probably fix this problem yourself if you have an aftermarket tuner like X-Calibrator.
Old 12/5/05 | 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 2k5GTC@December 5, 2005, 9:11 AM
My speedo is off by 3-4 mph also. Always has been. According to my portable GPS unit anyway. I ran a test using the IUPs average MPH function. I set the cruise at 70 according to the speedo, reset the average MPH readout, and watched (keeping my other eye on the road hehe) After a couple miles the readout settled at 66 mph. So, I nudge the cruise up four mph and reset the readout. When the mph digital readout showed 70, my speedo showed 74/75. DOH! No wonder I am always being passed by Hyundais and Kias.
Mine is exactly the same, too. I took it to the dealer, and they said ford won't cover the cost of re-calibrating them unless it is off by 10kph.

I just use the readout in the message centre now, as it seems to be accurate. I've verified this against one of those radar signs.
Old 12/5/05 | 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine has the same problem. I thought maybe the wrong wheel size was flashed, but not 5 MPH! My car is totally stock as well.

Slammer- You a funny man!
Old 12/5/05 | 07:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

I can't speak for stock because I never thought to check, but I can confirm that with new wheels and tires, 4:10 gears and an 87 Octane Predator tune adjusted for the gears, my speedometer is exactly nuts on perfect compared to my GPS unit. Again, this is only to confirm that the capability for the system to be accurate is there, something is definitely not right.

Sean
Old 12/7/05 | 07:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Note, we are talking about the reading of the guage here, being off. The computer is reporting the speed properly, becuase the digital readout in the message centre is correct.
Old 1/23/06 | 10:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Just an update. I was able to take out the instrument cluster very easily. Just pull out the top part of dash, then 4 screws removes the cluster + unplug the harness on the back, unclip the clear plastic cover. Then I removed the speedo needle which was on there real tight but it eventually popped off.

I found the needle has no teeth on it so you can actually twist it to reposition when placing back in. I did that, drove to check for accuracy, then pulled over to adjust. I got it dialed in perfectly now. Just letting you know it was easy to do in case you guys wanted to do the same.

Quick Reply: Speedometer question....?