2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Speeding ticket...

Search this Thread

Old 11/15/07 | 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Speeding ticket...

Well Im kind of screwed here. I have a completely clean record and have never previously been pulled over or ever even had a run in with the cops at all, but I got my first speeding ticket yesterday. I was on the highway and there was this line of dumptrucks, and I could see gravel piled in the back of them and I know what happens when gravel/rocks hit your car (not fun) so I merge into the left lane and floor it to get around them and what do you know, a cop pulls out of the trees on the side of the road and gives me a ticket for going 84mph in a 55mph. I can pay the ticket ($185) but if I get points and my insurance goes up, I may have to sell the car cause there is no way I can afford an insurance increase( Im only 18). So Im looking for tips and advice on how to avoid the points and insurance, Im going to plead not guilt and try to reason with the judge, but I doubt hes going to care when I tell him "I love my car and didnt want it to get chipped up by a bunch of rocks from those dumpsters so that is why I was speeding". What is my best option here?
Old 11/15/07 | 10:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you're that close to having to sell your car, you shouyld sell your car and buy one you can afford.

Next, I would tell the judge exactly what you said.

Also, see if they will withhold adjudication if you plead no contest and pay the fine. That means no conviction and should mean no points.
Old 11/15/07 | 10:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by futuresvt
If you're that close to having to sell your car, you shouyld sell your car and buy one you can afford.

Also, see if they will withhold adjudication if you plead no contest and pay the fine. That means no conviction and should mean no points.
Old 11/15/07 | 10:46 AM
Cobra Member

another option you have is to plead PBJ (probation before judgement). Being that this is your first offense, the judge will waive the points and possibly reduce the fine.Or plead guilty with explaination. this will most likely result with the same ending, at least he could have sympathy for your cause(may be a stang fan?).
Remember this is revenue for the state so getting no fine will be next to impossible!
Good luck. you probably have 6 minths b4 court, so start saving for your fine now.
Old 11/15/07 | 10:53 AM
Cobra R Member

pbj's are a life savior. but your best bet is talk to people who live in your state. if you were in jersey its really easy. if you go to court the prosectuter can plea down to a no points charge, no lisence points, no insurance points. So do what you have to do. but i would ask advise of people in your state. maybe someone knows a cop in your area, not to pull a favor but just to ask what you can do.
Old 11/15/07 | 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here in Ca., traffic school is an option. You pay the fine and for the school, you go to class for a 8 hours and the points go away. If they have that where you are at don't do the weekly classes go for the full day. The instructor does not want to be there any more than you do, must likely he will shut that class down early.
Old 11/15/07 | 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the tips guys. Im going to see what I can do and just basically put myself at the judges mercy, hopefully he will let me off of the points and Ill just have to pay the ticket. Unfortunately I dont know any PA cops, but half of extended family are MD cops, but they cant help me here.

[quote=futuresvt;1046728]If you're that close to having to sell your car, you shouyld sell your car and buy one you can afford.

I can afford this car, well with help from my parents at least. They told me from day one though if I wreck it or get in trouble with it Im on my own. Insurance for me was already around $3000 a year and that was with a perfect driving record and good grade discounts as well as discounts for taking driving classes, so an increase from that is going to be really steep.
Old 11/15/07 | 11:37 AM
GT Member

This was a tip an ex-cop, who is now a lawyer told me: When cops shows up to court, especially state troopers they tend to grab the first radar gun they see at the station before coming to court. Which means if the radar gun used is not the same gun, your cop has no proof. Which also means your case is dismissed.
Old 11/15/07 | 11:47 AM
V6 Member

I had a "10 point " incident this year (3 seperate tickets)..I lawyered up and ended up with 165$ fine/driving school and no points.
Old 11/15/07 | 11:58 AM
V6 Member

A judge isn't going to be of any help. Go to trial and you could plea for a court supervision of six months and pay a big fine. If you want to keep off your record thats the best to do. Then stay clean with your driving for the supervision time and it'll stay off your record. To be honest, the rock this is a good explanation. but a jusge and the ticketing officer will just be you were speeding. They won't quality the rocks thing.
Old 11/15/07 | 12:05 PM
V6 Member

The court system doesn't want it to go to trial anymore than you do. During the diposition hearing the DA can offer up a deal.
Old 11/15/07 | 12:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

yeah all the above options are great, I'd follow one.

I got my first traffic ticket earlier this year as well (running a red light, which I didnt, but lets not go there), and just did everything online. I went to my county's government website, paid the fine and selected to do traffic school, which is a Withold Adjudication. I took a "4 hour" traffic course online, did the exam, and no points were put on my driving record.
Old 11/15/07 | 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Pennsylvania doesnt offer driving school as an option, so that ones out or else I definitly would have done it. Speaking of radar, Im 99% positive that the radar gun used to clock you has to have been inspected within the last month. The one the cop used on me wasnt, its last inspection date was 9/27/07 and this info is even written on the ticket. Is there any way I can use this to possibly get out of the ticket? I know its a longshot but Im kind of screwed either way so I may as well give it a try.
Old 11/15/07 | 12:32 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

http://www.speedingticketcentral.com...ng-ticket.html

Try searching further, you might find even more helpful information.

Good luck.
Old 11/15/07 | 01:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by antdog
Here in Ca., traffic school is an option. You pay the fine and for the school, you go to class for a 8 hours and the points go away. If they have that where you are at don't do the weekly classes go for the full day. The instructor does not want to be there any more than you do, must likely he will shut that class down early.
FYI, you can do this on-line in the comfort of your own home - takes about 1-1/2 hours. (Guess how I know )

I don't want to be negative, but I wouldn't sure want to pin much hope on this one. Telling a judge you just had to drive 30 mph above the speed limit is NOT going to generate any sympathy. How would you answer: "Why didn't you just slow down and give the truck some distance?"

"Well, your honor, they were moving way too slow for me."?
Old 11/15/07 | 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Why is your insurance so high for a v6? You should really let your parents sign for their insurance for your car and you be the 2nd driver. That would reduce your insurance to like $800.
Old 11/15/07 | 02:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

[quote=S197 V6;1046780]Thanks for the tips guys. Im going to see what I can do and just basically put myself at the judges mercy, hopefully he will let me off of the points and Ill just have to pay the ticket. Unfortunately I dont know any PA cops, but half of extended family are MD cops, but they cant help me here.

I can afford this car, well with help from my parents at least. They told me from day one though if I wreck it or get in trouble with it Im on my own. Insurance for me was already around $3000 a year and that was with a perfect driving record and good grade discounts as well as discounts for taking driving classes, so an increase from that is going to be really steep.
I'm 19 with a GT and I dont have the cleanest record and I have better insurance rate then you. I think I do 2200 a year. So I'd look into another insurance companies for starters.

2nd, take the online course to take off the points so your insurance company wont find out and your rate wont go up. Thats what I did
Old 11/15/07 | 04:09 PM
Bullitt Member

just get a lawyer and keep the points off of your liscense. You will pay about double of what the fine would be, but it will become a lesser charge and no points will be issued, and your insurance will not go up.
Old 11/15/07 | 04:47 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by S197 V6
Pennsylvania doesnt offer driving school as an option, so that ones out or else I definitly would have done it. Speaking of radar, Im 99% positive that the radar gun used to clock you has to have been inspected within the last month. The one the cop used on me wasnt, its last inspection date was 9/27/07 and this info is even written on the ticket. Is there any way I can use this to possibly get out of the ticket? I know its a longshot but Im kind of screwed either way so I may as well give it a try.

Thats not true, unless Penn has some weird law that no other state uses. Radar units dont have to be inspected monthly, they just have to be checked for accuracy before you use them, which takes about 10 seconds.

Most states now have a 1st time ticket clause where you pay $100 for diversion and if you dont get a ticket within 6 months, it will be dismissed.

Hope that helps.
Old 11/15/07 | 05:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by colbymh
Thats not true, unless Penn has some weird law that no other state uses. Radar units dont have to be inspected monthly, they just have to be checked for accuracy before you use them, which takes about 10 seconds.

Most states now have a 1st time ticket clause where you pay $100 for diversion and if you dont get a ticket within 6 months, it will be dismissed.

Hope that helps.
Geuss Im wrong about the radar thing. Ill look into the 1st time ticket clause thing, because if that is an option I am definity going to do that. Thanks!

About my insurance, I think part of the reason it is so high is because I am also insured under both my parents cars (a corvette and and an escalade) so that doesnt help my rates at all. My parents and I have been looking at getting me my own insurance plan for a little while so maybe it is indeed time to do that now.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket...