2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

So whats the developmental nickname of the S197?

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/04, 12:15 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, first off, for some of you that may not know, let me explain what I mean by developmental nickname.
When Ford designed the SN95 they had three different prototypes that they had developed from which to choose from. The three prototypes were nicknamed as follows: Jenner (very conservative - almost taurus like), Rambo (much more aggressive - IMHO kinda like an F body with an identity crisis), and Schwarzenegger (the one that was actually chosen by Ford for production).
Also, when SVT was developing the 03 Cobra it was referred to as, "The Terminator".
So I was wondering if anyone knew if the S197 had a nickname and what it was, or did Ford decide to stop using such names on their projects?
Besides, I'm hoping that since we've beaten other topics like, "Ordered a Mustang", "Exhaust Mods", "Options", etc., etc. to relative death, this could warrant
a new discussion that might be fun. Thanks,
- Forest
Old 6/6/04, 12:46 AM

anyone got pics of the prototypes? B)
Old 6/6/04, 09:51 AM
GT Member

I've read about them but I've never actually seen any pics of them.

Was it Jenner or Jennings?
Old 6/6/04, 10:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TGIFord@Jun. 6th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Ok, first off, for some of you that may not know, let me explain what I mean by developmental nickname.
When Ford designed the SN95 they had three different prototypes that they had developed from which to choose from. The three prototypes were nicknamed as follows: Jenner (very conservative - almost taurus like), Rambo (much more aggressive - IMHO kinda like an F body with an identity crisis), and Schwarzenegger (the one that was actually chosen by Ford for production).
Also, when SVT was developing the 03 Cobra it was referred to as, "The Terminator".
So I was wondering if anyone knew if the S197 had a nickname and what it was, or did Ford decide to stop using such names on their projects?
Besides, I'm hoping that since we've beaten other topics like, "Ordered a Mustang", "Exhaust Mods", "Options", etc., etc. to relative death, this could warrant
a new discussion that might be fun. Thanks,
- Forest
Actually the 03 Cobra name of "terminator" was not just a nickname. It was what they really planned to call it, probably to mark a victory over the F-bodies. The story behind the scenes from Ford is that they had to drop the name for fear of paying massive royalties to MGM studios which owns the first Terminator film, much like Ford had to pay a year or so earlier with the Bullitt name. This is why a lot of people have been posting on other forums that a Bullitt edition of the new car might not "officially" be called Bullitt from the factory. It all depends on how much Ford is willing to pay to put it out.
Old 6/6/04, 10:20 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Somewhere in the internet there were sketches of the different SN-95 proposals. Sorry but I can't remember where, it may have been M/T or one of the Mustang rags. I'm pretty sure they were in a car rag.

I have heard some rumblings about the different styling proposals for the 2005 Stang, but I have not seen any ligitimate Ford sketches nor code names.
Old 6/6/04, 10:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by V10@Jun. 6th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Somewhere in the internet there were sketches of the different SN-95 proposals. Sorry but I can't remember where, it may have been M/T or one of the Mustang rags. I'm pretty sure they were in a car rag.

I have heard some rumblings about the different styling proposals for the 2005 Stang, but I have not seen any ligitimate Ford sketches nor code names.
I have them in my 35th Ann. book that went to owners of 1999 cars. I can't scan them but I'll look around the net and see if I can find them.
Old 6/6/04, 10:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Never saw this before ....

Chip and Dale Partner in Mustang Development
Engineers gave this early 2005 Ford Mustang prototype – one of two used to verify the design of the new chassis – the endearing code name "Chip." While it appears to be a normal 1999-2004 Mustang, notice it has extended front fenders to accommodate the longer wheelbase and wider track.

Ford engineers use "mules" like to this to verify product attributes before they lock in final design specifications. Because they often have yet to finalize the exterior design at the point these prototypes are made, they often carry the sheet metal of the outgoing model, which also gives the cars a lower "profile" on the street. Chip’s twin? Dale, of course.
Old 6/6/04, 06:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by BlackRiderX@Jun. 6th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Never saw this before ....

Chip and Dale Partner in Mustang Development
Engineers gave this early 2005 Ford Mustang prototype – one of two used to verify the design of the new chassis – the endearing code name "Chip." While it appears to be a normal 1999-2004 Mustang, notice it has extended front fenders to accommodate the longer wheelbase and wider track.

Ford engineers use "mules" like to this to verify product attributes before they lock in final design specifications. Because they often have yet to finalize the exterior design at the point these prototypes are made, they often carry the sheet metal of the outgoing model, which also gives the cars a lower "profile" on the street. Chip’s twin? Dale, of course.
I heard about that too, they took it up to mosport in ontario and a track in ohio i think.

edit: They apparently drove it for 24 hours straight.
Old 6/6/04, 07:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by BlackRiderX@Jun. 6th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Actually the 03 Cobra name of "terminator" was not just a nickname.
This is true. I seen some fixtures (for smaller parts on the cobra) that were labeled "Terminator".
Old 6/7/04, 02:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by My89Ford@Jun. 6th, 2004, 11:54 AM
I've read about them but I've never actually seen any pics of them.

Was it Jenner or Jennings?
I think it was Jenner as in "Bruce Jenner" the athlete... I remember being a sore looser in that M/T '93 cobra contest... the headlights, tail lamps, side roofline w/ body crease & scoop looked awfully simular to a sketch I sent in... wasn't 18 at the time
Old 10/15/04, 03:59 PM
V6 Member

Theres some new info in a book that I just purchased that is a must buy for any of you out there that is even remotely interested in the developmental history of the Mustang. Titled, "Ford Mustang. Forty years of fun" by the auto editors of Consumer Guide. It has a lot of background information /w plenty of photographs, and pictures of the clay models of each generation of Mustang including the new S197! One really interesting note is the picture of a clay model S197 with a ducktail. It seems that Ford did indeed consider it in the styling of the car but it was regected for various reasons which is explained in the book, but I wont go into it here due to space constraints. Unfortunately, I also dont have a scanner so I cant post any pics from the book. All I can say is that you just need to go out and find a copy. I found mine at a Target Superstore for $20 which is a pretty reasonable price for a hardcover book in about an 10x12 format consisting of 256 pages (for those of you back east that have never heard of a Target, you might try Walmart, although I havent personally checked them. Im sure just about any bookstore can get a copy though). Also, a couple of graph charts near the back of the book showing comparisons of U. S. sales and horsepower ratings between the Mustang and Camaro. Again, I really recommend that you all read a copy. It is a great addition to my collection and Im sure it will be to yours as well. Thanks,
-Forest
Old 10/15/04, 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

My Cobra has some stickers on bumper covers that say TERM on them???
Does that mean Terminator?
Old 10/15/04, 04:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here I was hoping Jenner referred to the battlemech in Mechwarrior... yeah I'm a geek I know.
Old 10/15/04, 04:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by bullittman68@October 15, 2004, 4:06 PM
My Cobra has some stickers on bumper covers that say TERM on them???
Does that mean Terminator?
Yes my 03 Cobra actually had written on the white tags Terminator. I had several tags all over the body on different parts. Check out http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/forum....php?forumid=81 they have alot of info and its a fun site.
Old 10/15/04, 04:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am sure we had all three of the original proposal's pics up on here at one time, they were copies of newsprint pictures.
Old 10/15/04, 04:22 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by BlackRiderX@June 6, 2004, 10:13 AM
Actually the 03 Cobra name of "terminator" was not just a nickname. It was what they really planned to call it, probably to mark a victory over the F-bodies.
I think it was more of a reference to the fact that it was the, "Schwarzenegger" concept that was originally chosen for the design of the SN-95. "Terminator" being one of Arh-nulds movies.
Old 10/15/04, 04:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

well-

If the SN95's were termed Schwarzenegger
and the new Cobra was "The Terminator"

Maybe these are called...

The Governators?

Old 10/15/04, 05:11 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is an "F-Body?"
Old 10/15/04, 05:23 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by MindControl3@October 15, 2004, 6:14 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is an "F-Body?"
93 and up Camaro/Firebird.
Old 10/15/04, 05:25 PM
Banned

Camaro, Firebird, RS's, Formula's, Z28s ... cars built on that chassis

Quick Reply: So whats the developmental nickname of the S197?