2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

So long for now - I've gone over to the "Dark Side."

Search this Thread

Old 11/13/07, 04:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Freyke, not much more I can add to this but to say GOOD LUCK with your new ride!

At least you bought American and not import. Props to you for doing that.

Those Vettes are wicked fast and look sweet! I know you'll have lots of fun!!!

Too bad that Ford dealers have to be such a**holes when it comes to curbing their greed. You would think that Ford being on the ropes would teach them a little bit of humility but alas, that isn't the case.
Old 11/13/07, 05:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments all... As far as dealer's greed goes, the GM guys aren't much better; I had to call all the Chevy dealerships (at least 4) in the area before I found one that would play along and accept my GMS price. Bottom line is I found somone that would play.

R,
Kevin
Old 11/13/07, 07:07 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Is it too late? Give Riggin's Ford a call in Poqouson Va, I've been told that they were selling GT500's at invoice!
Old 11/13/07, 08:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations! I accept that Corvettes are flat-out the most awesome car for the dollar, but they just don't do anything for me emotionally. I stopped and looked at a few, and just felt dirty. No adrenalin at all. Then again, I didn't drive one, which might have changed my mind. For what they are, though, a Vette is a bargain. On the other side, I wouldn't have a Ford, except for the Mustang or a Cobra replica, and that's just for nostalgia's sake. A bunch of ugly mediocre quality cars sold by jerks. Have fun with the Corvette (which owners DO modify). Now you'll have to get a whole new set of car T-shirts and make rags of your old Mustang ones. Good luck!
Old 11/14/07, 07:43 PM
ba2

Back from the Dark Side

September 06 my C5 transmission took a dump. This after headlight problems to the toon on $1500. It was a great car while it lasted and could not justify buying a new Mustang as long as the Vette was running. The night the trans died (strike three), drove it to the Ford dealer and bought an 07 Redfire Gt Coupe. This was my 12th Mustang with 7 Corvettes between Mustangs 11 and 12.

I enjoy this car as much as the Vette and for half the price. The new Vette is a nice car and a good buy. It just costs twice as much. And, it isn't twice as much fun.

Good luck with the Vette.
Old 11/14/07, 08:16 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by rmays06
Links don't work, but good luck with the new ride. If you really like what you were after you might have found a way to get it thou. I know here if you belong to the mustang club they will drop the Dealer discount at the local dealer....
How do you get in this club?
Old 12/26/07, 10:51 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by BuzzyStang05
Back in '05, when I was ready to buy my GT, I called up just about every dealer in Arizona and each one thought I was crazy for trying to negotiate for under MSRP. At the time, they were going for as high as $5,000+ over MSRP and there were still back orders. (AZ is truck country, most dealers had little GT allocation).
Gee, I had no problem ordering the car I wanted at x-plan in 2004.
Old 12/27/07, 04:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

$50k MSRP will net you a fully loaded C6 with magnetic ride suspension, Xenon projector HIDs, head-up display, Organic LED bioluminescent illuminated instrument cluster, perforated leather seating, and independent rear suspension.
Old 12/27/07, 07:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by metroplex
$50k MSRP will net you a fully loaded C6 with magnetic ride suspension, Xenon projector HIDs, head-up display, Organic LED bioluminescent illuminated instrument cluster, perforated leather seating, and independent rear suspension.
As has been said numerous times. Comparing these 2 cars is not really reasonable. Yes, they are both V8 powered American cars in similar price range. But their purpose or intent is entirely different.

Ford/SVT has always put their money into the drivetrain. The intercooled Eaton SCer, Ford GT heads, Forged internals (I don't if the Vette has this), dual disc cerametallic clutch are all included in the GT500 for MSRP of $5000 less.

When you compare stock performance to stock, the Vette has the edge (ever so slightly). When you consider that the GT500 is intentionally restricted from the factory and you spend the extra 5 grand to open it up, it becomes a different ball game.

The Vette is designed for out of the box performance. The GT500 is designed to tweak it as you please. The 4 valve Ford GT heads allow you to get huge gains with little (inexpensive) changes. 650 hp is just $1200 away with a pulley, CAI setup and tune. Add in a $1500 suspension and the car will smoke the Vette. You can set it up for drag racing (which is more suited to the GT500) or road racing depending on what you want to do with it.

You still have plenty leftover to pay for the tickets you will get with a beast like that.

I know someone will say you can't compare modded cars to stock cars. But, the GT500 is intended to be modded. Ford opened up the engineering to the aftermarket before the car was even released. If you keep the MSRP to MSRP + mods the same price, it becomes a fair fight.
Old 12/27/07, 07:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The GT500 is a 2-door RWD V8 sports car in the $40k+ range, as is the C6 Vette. The GT500/GT is more practical, but I disagree with your statement about Ford always investing in drivetrains.

In fact, Ford invests the least into its powertrain and drivetrains.

Ford has used the same Modular engine family since the 1991 model year (for the Town Car). The 4V 4.6L debuted sometime in the mid-90s in the Mark VIII / Continental. Since the 5.4 and 4.6 share the same heads, you obviously end up with a 5.4L 4V V8 (not quite the same as the Ford GT / GT500 engine though).

Over a span of 15-20 years, we end up with:
Non-PI 4.6/5.4/6.8 2V Modular engines
PI 4.6/5.4/6.8 2V modular engines
4.6/5.4 4V with lower output heads
4.6/5.4 4V with higher output heads
the Ford GT 5.4 4V
the GT500 5.4 4V
4.6/5.4 3V V8s (first debut in 2002 MY in Australian Falcon)

Let's talk drivetrain...
The Ford 8.8" started showing up around the mid 80s (1986??) while the Ford 7.5" was used in the 70s and still is being used in the 2008 Mustang V6. My 1981 T-bird has a Ford 7.5". Ford still uses the 8.8 in the GT500 and GT. Personally, I do not have any issues with this as the Ford 8.8 is quite easy to work on. I can remove the axles within 10 minutes without special tools.

The S197 transmission selection isn't anything special. The TR-3650 has been used since 2001 and has some of the same problems since 2001, while the TR-6060 is a beefed up re-design of the T-56, with some of the same problems as the T-56. FWIW, the Corvette is supposed to use the same T-56/TR-6060 as the GT500 but the transaxle is in the rear of the car with a remote mounted shifter for better weight distribution.

Ford likes to invest the minimal amount into its powertrain/drivetrain, picking out usually what works and sticks with it as long as possible, sharing the powertrain among different platforms.

GM on the other hand, is all about the engine. Look at the sheer number of variants of the 350 block and now the 427'ish blocks. You have different 5.xL/6.xL OHV V8s for trucks, SUVs, sports cars, sport sedans, etc... all making quite a bit of horsepower.

I recall someone at SVT saying to slap a blower on the 03-04 Cobra because the N/A setup was pitiful. They had to use a supercharger to make respectable performance figures. The Ford GT and GT500 all rely on the blower to make that gutsy low-end torque output. The Z06, OTOH, will rip apart the rear tires without powerbraking in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. Someone I know with a stock C5 Z06 says it is a beast to drive. GM is adding more and more power each year to its engines.

The main focus on engines, is IMHO, the reason the F-body failed. They neglected the rest of the car. Ford's Mustang is quite refined with a decent powertrain.

That said, the BOSS engine program might be the saving grace for Ford's powertrain selection. I like my GT because it is a practical sports car, but if I were to spend $40k-$50k, it certainly wouldn't be on the same GT with a factory supercharged engine.

For that price, I want the same or better weight to power ratio (Both the C6 and GT500 have approximately the same weight to power ratio of 8 lb/hp.) with as much of the latest tech as I can get, but that's just me. The Audi TT offers a lot of tech, but is pitiful in terms of performance. The Porsche Cayman S is too expensive for its lowly performance. The BMW looks too boring. There are several people at work who bring in their C6 Vettes on a daily basis and that car looks dead-sexy. Next to the new Mercs, BMWs, Audis, Maseratis, GT500s, Mustang GTs, and Porsche Carreras at work, I think the C6 looks the coolest. I often feel my Mustang is too big of a car.

The Europeans seem to consider the Corvette "America's Best Sports Car", basically our "Porsche 911" and I tend to agree.
Old 12/27/07, 07:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by metroplex
The GT500 is a 2-door RWD V8 sports car in the $40k+ range, as is the C6 Vette. The GT500/GT is more practical, but I disagree with your statement about Ford always investing in drivetrains.

In fact, Ford invests the least into its powertrain and drivetrains.

Ford has used the same Modular engine family since the 1991 model year (for the Town Car). The 4V 4.6L debuted sometime in the mid-90s in the Mark VIII / Continental. Since the 5.4 and 4.6 share the same heads, you obviously end up with a 5.4L 4V V8 (not quite the same as the Ford GT / GT500 engine though).

Over a span of 15-20 years, we end up with:
Non-PI 4.6/5.4/6.8 2V Modular engines
PI 4.6/5.4/6.8 2V modular engines
4.6/5.4 4V with lower output heads
4.6/5.4 4V with higher output heads
the Ford GT 5.4 4V
the GT500 5.4 4V
4.6/5.4 3V V8s (first debut in 2002 MY in Australian Falcon)

Let's talk drivetrain...
The Ford 8.8" started showing up around the mid 80s (1986??) while the Ford 7.5" was used in the 70s and still is being used in the 2008 Mustang V6. My 1981 T-bird has a Ford 7.5". Ford still uses the 8.8 in the GT500 and GT. Personally, I do not have any issues with this as the Ford 8.8 is quite easy to work on. I can remove the axles within 10 minutes without special tools.

The S197 transmission selection isn't anything special. The TR-3650 has been used since 2001 and has some of the same problems since 2001, while the TR-6060 is a beefed up re-design of the T-56, with some of the same problems as the T-56. FWIW, the Corvette is supposed to use the same T-56/TR-6060 as the GT500 but the transaxle is in the rear of the car with a remote mounted shifter for better weight distribution.

Ford likes to invest the minimal amount into its powertrain/drivetrain, picking out usually what works and sticks with it as long as possible, sharing the powertrain among different platforms.

GM on the other hand, is all about the engine. Look at the sheer number of variants of the 350 block and now the 427'ish blocks. You have different 5.xL/6.xL OHV V8s for trucks, SUVs, sports cars, sport sedans, etc... all making quite a bit of horsepower.

I recall someone at SVT saying to slap a blower on the 03-04 Cobra because the N/A setup was pitiful. They had to use a supercharger to make respectable performance figures. The Ford GT and GT500 all rely on the blower to make that gutsy low-end torque output. The Z06, OTOH, will rip apart the rear tires without powerbraking in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. Someone I know with a stock C5 Z06 says it is a beast to drive. GM is adding more and more power each year to its engines.

The main focus on engines, is IMHO, the reason the F-body failed. They neglected the rest of the car. Ford's Mustang is quite refined with a decent powertrain.

That said, the BOSS engine program might be the saving grace for Ford's powertrain selection. I like my GT because it is a practical sports car, but if I were to spend $40k-$50k, it certainly wouldn't be on the same GT with a factory supercharged engine.

For that price, I want the same or better weight to power ratio (Both the C6 and GT500 have approximately the same weight to power ratio of 8 lb/hp.) with as much of the latest tech as I can get, but that's just me. The Audi TT offers a lot of tech, but is pitiful in terms of performance. The Porsche Cayman S is too expensive for its lowly performance. The BMW looks too boring. There are several people at work who bring in their C6 Vettes on a daily basis and that car looks dead-sexy. Next to the new Mercs, BMWs, Audis, Maseratis, GT500s, Mustang GTs, and Porsche Carreras at work, I think the C6 looks the coolest. I often feel my Mustang is too big of a car.
I'm comparing the GT500 motor to the C6. Not the whole history of engines. I was actually talking about the SVT programs when I said Ford/SVT. I'm talking about Forged internals, high flow 4 valve heads, etc.

Looks are subjective. The Vette is a nice looking car. I don't see people snapping their necks to see the Vettes as they go by like they do when I drive my Shelby. The reaction is more like "Oh, it's a Vette" vs "Wow, that is a FREAKING Shelby. Where is my cell phone? Slow down! stop!turn around! I gotta see it for as long as I can" I'm not kidding. That is the reaction I get everywhere I go. That is not why I bought it, but, to me that clearly shows which is the most attractive.

There is a lot more to the GT500 than a GT with SCd engine. I don't need to list the diffs, I'm sure you already know. It appears you are well read into the car magazine and internet world.

Bells and Whistles are not important to me. I don't care about HUDs, perforation in my leather or lightning bug gauges. I got the HIDs to see better, the Int upgrade to make the interior a little nicer (the Vettes is also still very plastic) and left the rest of the options off. I don't need color changing cupholders and the like either.

I have driven the C5 Z06. IT is fast and handles well. I didn't like the harsh ride. I think part of that is that it is really low to the ground. I have a buddy with a C6 Z06. I haven't driven it yet. He wants to drive mine and me his. Not sure I want to let him drive mine. He has broken the rear end in his twice now (his fault or Chevy engineering???). Maybe they should have left off the HUD and put a beefier rear end in.
Old 12/27/07, 08:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Looks are subjective.

To each his own, I say!

The Vette is a nice looking car.

As most would agree, except me. Ever since GM went with the "squashed pear" look, i.e. the 4th gen F-bodies, GTO, C5, C6, I have turned away from them. They are just too rounded for my tastes. I call the C6 the buttless wonder. It has no rear to speak of. The "newest" GM cars that I still like are the third gen Camaro (still own one) and the C4, both are very old now.

Having owned dozens of Camaros, except the 4th gen, for most of my life I have owned GM. Getting married into a GM family didn't help. But not having ANY products that suit my tastes turned me to Mustang. I have since owned a 2000 Lightning, an '03 Cobra and three S197s including a GT500.

I don't see people snapping their necks to see the Vettes as they go by like they do when I drive my Shelby. The reaction is more like "Oh, it's a Vette" vs "Wow, that is a FREAKING Shelby. Where is my cell phone? Slow down! stop!turn around! I gotta see it for as long as I can" I'm not kidding. That is the reaction I get everywhere I go.

I couldn't agree with you more. While driving my GT500, I've had my picture taken while driving down the street, and while waiiting in the drive-thru at McDonald's. I even had one guy at a stoplight yell, "Man that is one bada** car!. I've had guys running across parking lots flagging me down as I walk away from my car, etc. NEVER have I experienced this. And until you've experienced this GT500 phenomenon, Crazyhorse is right on when he says, "....to me that clearly shows which is the most attractive."
Old 12/27/07, 08:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Willie,

It is incredible, isn't it? I've had the same thing. Even old men that can barely walk will raise their heads, switch their cane to their other hand and give a thumbs up ( I really have had this happen). The car has a presence about it. There is no doubt in anyone's mind that "this is a serious performance car" just by looking at it.
Old 12/27/07, 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

It is incredible. I love your story. I can't say that has happened to me, but I've had people at work who I don't know, approach me in my office, saying, "Was that you I saw driving that Shelby?" This leads to even more conversation.

The girl who took a pic of my car at the McDonald's drive-thru was not in anonymity. I was with my daughter and had just ordered. A 10-year old girl walks up to me and says, "My brother really likes your car. Can I take a picture of it?" What am I supposed to say? She did, thanked me and walked away. Two minutes later while still in line, a teenage boy approaches me and says, "My little sister just took a picture of your car with my cell phone. Can I take more?"

Then there's the time I was making a left turn at a major intersection. My daughter was with me then too. As soon as I completed the turn, my daughter says, "We just got our picture taken." I said, "From where?" She said someone waiting in the left turn lane just poked his cell phone out the window and tracked us.

I'm flattered by all the attention I get but sometimes, it's just a little too much for me. Like I tell my friends, it's like driving a 1000-watt light bulb. There is no "flying under the radar" with this car. Everyone notices it, including bugs that are attracted to light (people you really don't want to talk to).

Oh, and then yesterday I ended up stopped next to a C6 at a traffic light. We both accelerated semi-agressively but did not run. The next thing I know is he's slowing down and cutting in behind me. We both made a left turn and he would NOT come up beside me. He stayed behind me and gradually drifted further and further back. I thought this was odd considering that before we made the turn, he was over the speed limit. Then he makes a turn and won't even do the speed limit?? Interpret this any way you want.

Willie
Old 12/27/07, 11:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

The attention worries me sometimes. I'm worried that eventually some idiot is going to vandalize it. Some of the vandalism I have seen on here sickens me.
Old 12/27/07, 11:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well that was a stupid argument, 'too expensive for me so you're a bunch of poopie-heads Ford'. Duh, give yourself unrealistic expectations and expect disappointment. Go right to the Ferrari dealership and say you want a 612 at sticker, if you're lucky it will only be $150k extra to see it within 18 months. If you were selling your own car and black book was $9000 but they average $15000 in the market, do you sell it for $8999? Duh. Welcome to planet Earth.
Old 12/27/07, 11:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Glenn
you'll love it. Cheby did a pretty good job on the vettes as far as have heard
After the first 1000 miles, what you will hear is a whole lot of squeaks and creaks. If you drive it for more then an hour, the car tracking every single groove gets old real fast, the thump in the idle that never goes away will have you keep checking to see if its out of tune, and the noise under acceleration that sounds like the transmission is made of marbles is completely 'normal', even after the 10th time you tried to get someone to look at it at the dealer. Not to mention the newer 'smart' key makes youl look like an idiot trying to get out of the car because the sequence just to get the car to turn on or off is the definition of stupid. But compared to the absolute garbage Porsche puts out, its a great car for the money, as long as its not your only car...
Old 12/27/07, 12:15 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinb120
Well that was a stupid argument, 'too expensive for me so you're a bunch of poopie-heads Ford'...
Do you have any recollection of wakerider017 (Mr. My-Car-Is-Better-Than-Your-Car) and his GTO?

Old 12/27/07, 12:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

It just seems silly to me when you KNOW the car has a markup, go to buy it, and get mad because it has a markup That's like going to buy a coach purse thats $900 that some kid in manchuria made for $2.14 and get mad that its $900. It is what it is. Vettes can be had at big discounts, Shelby GT500's can not. Its not rocket science. Personally, I'd buy a used vette, we've had 4 '07 Corvettes alone traded in this year, 2 with under 1000 miles.
Old 12/27/07, 12:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

The attention worries me sometimes. I'm worried that eventually some idiot is going to vandalize it. Some of the vandalism I have seen on here sickens me.

Hey Crazyhorse, did you get the car cover with yours? Mine was missing when I bought the car but it was shipped to me. I just opened it up last night and put it on the car. You talk about vandalism. This car cover has a Cobra insignia on the front but worse yet, it has SHELBY in huge black letters across the back. And I thought car covers helped to conceal the identity of the car. This one only advertises it -- STEAL ME!!!

Willie

Quick Reply: So long for now - I've gone over to the "Dark Side."