2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Slipped a TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/16, 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Slipped a TPMS

Some time back I posted a thread on tires, balance, etc ..... : https://themustangsource.com/forums/...alance-531924/

This past Sunday the "Wife Unit" and I drove down to Floyd Co., Va. to look at a house that her brother and family in Ga. had put a offer in on. We are really hoping they can pull this move off and move back to Va.

Anyway ..... we took the Mustang, beautifyul day, fall colors, back roads, views, etc ... super nice day. On the way home I pulled away from a stop light, not fast .... but suddenly what was a smooth ride ..... now had a shake. Felt like in rear .... and after going a little ways, it got smoother, then worse again. It was bad enough to be noted at 40-45 mph.

Our Mustang has American Racing wheels, I think likely put on by original owner though maybe they are OEM option (American Racing Torq-Thrust M Chrome 17" .... I think 8 or 8.5" wide, 30mm offset)? I knew they had strapped on blue TPMS in them opposite the valve stem.

Yesterday I jacked the car and set all 4 corners and pulled the wheels and tires off. Took them into the basement and used my bead breaker to break loose the outer bead after deflating each. Used some pieces of 2x4 to hold bead open and discovered that one band clamp in LR had loosened up and the TPMS was free to move. I almost removed all 4 TPMS ...... but decided not to. They are OEM 2008 units but at only 31,xxx miles, still work.

They were clamped in the deepest part of the wheel which is near the outside of face. I then loosen each clamp, applied some double stick tape between TPMS and wheel and clamped each in place tightly opposite the valve stem. I placed the band clamp's worm screw near the valve stem however .... and ripped the rubber valve stems out and installed short all metal stems.

I also used a small shop vacuum and long small diameter wand and removed the AirSoft BBs completely. Scraped all old weights off inside of rims with plastic scraper and cleaned them with 2+2 Gum Cutter and inflated the Goodyear RS-A 235/55-17 tires to 35 psi. Each was already marked as to location on car.

Took all 4 to buddy's shop, used his Atlas WB 42 balancer with special balance options and rebalanced all 4. Surprised that two of them took only about half the weight originally called for, other two about same as before? Buddy at shop took a wrag and cleaned a wheel again thinking he was helping .... weights would not stick. He used a clean wrag he said, fresh off stack. I had to do it again with a paper towel .... must have been soap residue in his self cleaned stack of wrags!

Went home and marked my weights with sharpie, photographed the locations (in case one get's throwed off), reinstalled on car and cleaned up and took wife out for supper at Applebees and a short drive up Interstate at speed ....
.... SMOOTH now!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Buckshot Barry (11/1/16)